Navigation book, with DYI to make instruments

Has anyone looked at or own this book?

"Latitude Hooks and Azimuth Rings: How to Build and Use 18 Traditional Navigational Instruments" by Dennis Fisher

http://www.amazon.com/Latitude-Hooks-Azimu...0071&sr=1-1

http://www.textbooksrus.com/search/bookdet...paign=WI08gbmkt

It claims:

Description for Bookstore

Part history of navigation and part hands-on project guide for the navigationally fascinated, this unique book includes complete history, step-by-step building instructions, and full-size patterns for 18 historic navigational tools that can be built easily and inexpensively by anyone. Projects include the kamal, astrolabe, quadrant, cross staff, back staff, noctural, sundial, sun compass, dry card compass, pelorus, traverse board, weatherglass, and sextant with vernier. These tools are more than just decorative and educational. They all really work and can be used for navigation (instructions included).

Main Description

Part history of navigation and part project guide, this unique book includes step-by-step building instructions, full-size patterns, and instructions for use for 18 historic navigation tools that can be built easily and inexpensively. Projects include the kamal, latitude hook, astrolabe, quadrant, astronomical ring, sundial, nocturnal, cross-staff, backstaff, dry-card compass, traverse board, hand lead, heaving line, chip log, weather glass, pelorus, sun compass, and octant. Some of these projects are more decorative and educational than useful, but others are important and practical tools for small-craft navigation.

Back Cover Copy

Navigation is the story of the evolution of tools, of practical people making the best use of the materials and means at hand. As each generation of mariners sought to answer the question, "Where am I?", the instruments in this book were invented, rediscovered, and redesigned in a diversity that defies the imagination. Latitude Hooks and Azimuth Ringsis for people who like to work with their hands and who appreciate traditional nautical craftsmanship. You don't have to be the master of any craft to undertake any of these projects--from a simple kamal or latitude hook to the more-complex pelorus or octant--just a careful and enthusiastic worker. The 18 projects fall roughly into three categories: decorative, useful, and somewhere in between. Some, such as the astrolabe, are mainly for display. On the other hand, the sounding line is an important and practical tool for small-craft navigation, particularly in the absence of an electronic sounder. The cross-staff falls somewhere in between, equally at home in the den or the ditch kit. Each of the devices discussed here--with simple, proven building instructions complemented by clear illustrations--has at one time or another been used for the practical business of navigation, and each is worth reviving for its beauty, historic value, or sheer usefulness. Dennis Fisher has designed these objects with an emphasis on simplicity and reasonable cost. Everything can be scratch-built using easily obtainable materials and tools, and each is true to the spirit and function of the original instrument. Navigate a boat using the same tools as the Polynesian islanders, the Arab monsoon traders, or Christopher Columbus. Latitude Hook Kamal Astrolabe Quadrant Astronomical Ring Sundial Nocturnal Cross-Staff Backstaff Dry-Card Compass Traverse Board Hand Lead Heaving Line Chip Log Weatherglass Pelorus Sun Compass Octant

(From second shown site)

I bought it cheap (Amazon used). I hope it shows up.

It looks interesting.

I found it looking for info on the use of a back-staff.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

You'll like it... trust me. Mr. O'Keeffe used it to make my backstaff... tis off by only one degree... but then Mr. O'Keeffe does incredible work

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

somewhere in the PIP forums are a few shots of the nav display I had up. some of the pieces were modeled out of the book. used in conjunction with a few other pieces and references you can put together a decent display. Please note that the book is good in building the instruments but misses the mark in the explination of the use of some of them.

You'll like it... trust me. Mr. O'Keeffe used it to make my backstaff... tis off by only one degree... but then Mr. O'Keeffe does incredible work

Good book.

I used their ideas for the astrolabe on the Santa Maria - specifically using plywood and brass. This one holds up a lot better than the all-wood one I made previously. That one kept splitting over the Winter and I'd have to glue it back together.

Mark

Pete Straw has this book. Highly recommends it. He's made a couple Navigational items because of this book.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!