SCHOOL OF THE SAILOR

OK folks, looks like June 3-6, 2010.

What i'm envisioning is one time combined immersion school of the sailor thursday and friday followed by a festival saturday and sunday. What I'm looking for is anyone interested in teaching anything colonial maritime, environmental education, what have you for a block of time thursday and friday, living history and entertainment folks saturday and sunday, volunteers for various blocks of time to help out and suttlers. I've had two vendors committ already (sutlerjim, are you in???) and a few folks interested in doing some classes. (mickey, thank you. tis ashame kate wont be able to make it since she and lilly seem to have a cat washing party) I'm also looking for media coverage. Again folks, this is our festival so lets plan away!

Noone is getting paid, but any donation of time or gift in kind can be run through our 501c3 nonprofit.

Would you like to add in a sea chanty workshop?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey willoughby!! sorry i couldn't make it out today. Henricus wen't longer than expected.

I know we had talked about you roving around on Saturday, but a workshop on Friday would be great. Can you do something like what you did at Pyratecon?

awsome! Greg Hudson, Scarlet Scarab and a friend of mine who makes period reproduction furniture have all just confirmed they are coming! The orchestra is up to 30 members in attendance now. This is going to be a grand time.

hey willoughby!! sorry i couldn't make it out today. Henricus wen't longer than expected.

I know we had talked about you roving around on Saturday, but a workshop on Friday would be great. Can you do something like what you did at Pyratecon?

Sure. I think that would be fun! Can tie in some related history too

thanks Bo. Don't forget folks, we will be doing a dead mans chest as well. We will also have a thieves market where you can bring previously loved gear that may not fit or is no longer to your taste. I just hung up with another crew. weare now looking at five now possibly six crews attending, plus numerous families attending, vendors and lots of individual interest. Did I mention we're going to have fun?

edit* ok and now a native american tribe has joined the fun, or atleast a couple of folks from the tribe who will be PC. This may not be a kid friendly venue now. Anyhow, they have offered to do some native craftmanship. Flint knapping, fishing, or anything else we may find of interest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dead mans chest?

An auction of the things found in the sea chest of a departed brethren with no family.

All items are donated by whomever has extra kit or the skill who wishes to help out the organization sponsoring the event or even some other organization (always announced before the donations are made). In this case I believe the benefactor of the auction will be The Colonial Seaport Foundation. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

People donate anything appropriate & historically accurate.

hey folks, here is a rough line up of who is coming.

Vendors

Greg Hudson

Scarlet Scarab

Crews

Blackbeards Crew

Vigilant

Archangel

Willoughby and company

Individuals

STYNKY

Dorian +1

Adam Cyphers

Davey Dog Crusher

Callenish, Salty, Hamish

Possibles

Plank house crew

jolly jack tarr

capt scurvey

hawkyns

Those camping, we can set up beginning any time on thursday.

water and ice will be available, bring your own coolers

food is on participants except for saturday nights dinner. The cafe at the museum will be available for lunch on saturday for a nominal cost for us.

No open fires, we will have one central pit going. otherwise brazers or barrels, we will have some wood.

Those arriving saturday for the day, please be sure you let me know you are coming by the 21st. be in site by 10 am please.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy folks, its a week away and I met with the orchestra and museum yesterday. Full speed ahead! Our head count looks to be around 50 in the camp. below is the scedule, if anyone would like to add in, please let me know asap so we can adjust the food count for saturday. Just a friendly reminder, all meals are on the participants except saturday dinner. Water and ice will be provided for the duration. The grill at the museum will be open on saturday for lunch, it looks like you can walk out with a full belly for around $10 or less. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

PS. remember who you're dealing with, the mariners olympic events are not as straight forward as they seem.

MARITIME FESTIVAL SCHEDULE

Thursday, June 3rd................................Participants arrival and Camp Set up.

FRIDAY, JUNE 4TH...........SCHOOL OF THE SAILOR

9:30 am- All hands morning report.....Dutch

10:00 am – To the farm for Luna presentation by Chip Collamore

Will drive over in cars, so please carpool.

11:30 am- Lunch all Hands (enjoy the local options and scenery or head back to camp)

List of available restaurants in D’ville, maps will be available at the camp.

Bella Pizza (Lunch and Dinner) Café By the Bay (Breakfast and Lunch only)

Sunset Grille ( Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner) CoCoMo’s( Lunch and Dinner)

Galley (Lunch and Dinner) Great Value Grocery Store (Deltaville Market-Has Deli open 8am till 8pm)

Moo’s Deli (Breakfast and Lunch only) Little Sue gas station

1:00 pm- 2:00pm Cannon Safety.......................Vigilant Crew

2:00 pm-2:30pm Joinery/ carpentry...................................Gunner

2:30pm-3:00pm Chantey School.......................Willoughby and Crew

3:30pm-4:00pm Seamanship............................Blackbeard’s Crew

4:00 pm ALL HANDS FOR HELP WITH FOOD PREP FOR SATURDAY.

Day is over...... Dinner (on your own.)

"explorer" is available for sunset cruises if anyone would like.

Saturday, JUNE 5TH

FESTIVAL (OPEN TO THE PUBLIC)

9:15 am –All hands Daily report..........Dutch

9:30am- Camp cleanup and ready for Public

10:00am-Open

1st mariner game------Skiff race

(Need two crew members from each group. One to row the other to naviguess.)

Living History stations one per group running in the camp at this time. Stations to be determined based on staffing availability. Please switch off at the stations so everyone can have an opportunity to visit and see what every one else is doing.

11:00am- Scallywag School (BBC)

11:30am- all cannon crews and guns on the line and ready for noon demo.

12:00 noon- Cannon Demos (All crew)

12:30pm Grappling Hook Toss (1) per crew

1:15 pm Hawser Relay (1) per crew

2:00pm Scallywag School (BBC)

2:30pm Knot Tying (2) per crew

3:00pm Mariners Musical Chairs (1) member from each crew(Willoughby, Bo and Mingo on instruments)

4:00pm Festival Closed. Park Closes till 6pm for set up of Dinner and Concert. All Hands for setup. Tables, Chairs, Food prep and grounds cleanup.

5:15pm Dinner all Hands ( provided for all who have been on site since 10am)

6:00pm Public access for Dinner and Concert starts at 6:30pm til 8pm.

8:00pm- All Hand help with clean up.

SUNDAY, JUNE 6TH

9:30am- All Hand Morning Report.......Dutch

Clean up Breakdown

Thanks for coming !!!

Ice available for crews (free) every morning

Oh aren't we being positive... a lot can happen in a week...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Messy?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/