SCHOOL OF THE SAILOR

Right then told em at work that I will be taking off Thursday and Friday for this.... amazing how enlightening a phone call can be....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An event that is meant to teach us about what we do and give background and knowledge to back up the information that we have to pass along to the general public that comes to our events. What a novel idea.

A pre-event to be followed up with public event that is built around workshops and teaching each other about our areas & levels of expertise. Would be great to have some with more information and ability than I have on say, sewing, to show me how to better what I'm doing to make my presentation to the public better. That would be appreciated and well worth attending. IMO

Edited by callenish gunner

Oh I'm not debunking that Hugh, especially since I have been involved with this school idea of Dutch's for well over a year now... but real life does come first as well as paying the mortgage and feeding the kids... and with the economy the way it is, the Far Better Half is having a bit of a struggle contributing at times... so it all falls on me... I not only like my job, but now I really need to keep it... B)

Originally it was a weekend event, now its been stretched out to include weekdays as well... but now that I know all the reasons why and how, makes a hell of a difference...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

it goes to the museum board for final okeydokey next monday!!! So far tis lookin pretty good. I've been a bit preoccupied with festivals and boats and such, but gunner and sterling are indeed correct. The intent is a two day workshop for us, us as in pirates of what ever sort you may wish to come. this is going to be a couple of days of just us with resources that we can all use in various areas. its what we will make it. The hitch is the museum wants living history and education for the public on the weekend, so while i'm certainly not going to kick anyone out who wants to be there, please understand that is the one stipulation on the program that i have absolutely no control over. as long as we all know this coming into it, plan on having a grand time!

(I hope you don't mind, but I removed one of your eyes. I figured I'd try using my powers for good instead of evil for a change. I changed Saiilor in the title to Sailor. Pardon the intrusion. We now return you to your regularly schedules topic.)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 1 month later...

hey folks, just an update. Looks like the first full weekend of june is a go. thursday and friday are classes for us to include time on the water in small boats and possibly building a cape cod dory. Saturday is a colonial maritime festival with an awsome event in the works for dinner entertainment. If anyone is interested in attending the workshops please let me know. L. Silver could you please send me an e-mail with a way to contact you.

yyyyyyyyeeeessssss, i would lloovve to do this...but when is it? and where.......though im sure its in the thread somewhere........mabey.......

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

hey folks, just an update. Looks like the first full weekend of june is a go. thursday and friday are classes for us to include time on the water in small boats and possibly building a cape cod dory. Saturday is a colonial maritime festival with an awsome event in the works for dinner entertainment. If anyone is interested in attending the workshops please let me know. L. Silver could you please send me an e-mail with a way to contact you.

I'm interested, especially in building the dory. What is the colonial maritime festival going to consist of?

Mark

I'm interested, especially in building the dory. What is the colonial maritime festival going to consist of?

Mark

lol i must say the dory building caught my interests quite a bit as well !.....alot of my interest....

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 months later...

OK, Looks interesting. Might well be able to bring the sutlery down. Can we have some more detail if any is available? Actual location, sutler fees, attendee fees, etc.? What weapons to be allowed? Blackpowder OK? Permits needed?

Thanks,

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

well so far the only true expenses will be porta poties, fire wood and advertising. recoverable costs are ice and food, which will need upfront money. no permits for fires or fire power, but i'm inclined to limit open fires out of respect for the efforts the gardeners have done to put the fields to a natural habitat. brazers in site and one or two communal pits for atmosphere. its going to be warm so its really hard to justify leaving charred ground. The local sherriff and fire marshal are old friends so no worries about blowing stuff up.

Biggest concern is safety afloat for small boats. will need to remind people to just stand up if they fall over.

Fees for venders and participants... I hate to even think it, but something will need to be collected. Its going to cost $$ to get to nowhere land. I'm thinking vendors do a % of sales and participants a donation with the understanding that once costs are covered it all goes to construction of luna, which will benefit us all.

any suggestions?

edit* oops, located at the deltaville va maritime museum. about an hour east of richmond or an hour north of hampton.

fire arms consistent with your groups portrayal. jamestown to rev war. as long as its maritime related im thinking.

well food is an iteresting venue. town only has one grocery store and two gas stations. the closest wal-fart is about half an hour out. folks would be welcome to pack their food in and cook in site. the museum has a cafe(read grills for dogs and burgers) we can easily add breakfast stuff to the menu and charge per meal to cover the cost. we would need to supply the manpower though.

Saturday night is going to be fun. How about dinner and a concert. this is going to be the big money draw. I think i've convinced the local orchestra to revist pirates of penzans (sp?) and do a sea chantey night. the dinner would be a period bbq with the public purchasing tickets for dinner and show or just show. provided we could pre sell enough tickets, free for us all the way around. if not, the concert free and a reduced meal price to cover cost. Sorry, its hard to make money when i hate gouging friends.

porto-lets

extras will be on site at the end of the month for another event. the pots cost the same for one weekend as one month. I'm arguing to split the bill with the other event. not winning though for some reason.

Dutch, I'm pretty sure I can make this. The Thursday-Friday part might be a problem. I'll know by the 11th if I have a job. Since I'm concentrating on the buccaneer period, can I kill a cow and pig for the event? Wait that might put some people off a bit. Hmmm, maybe a fire pit and a area to work on a hide or two. I'll try to get with you on Sunday. I'm sending a PM with new contact info.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Since I'm concentrating on the buccaneer period, can I kill a cow and pig for the event? Wait that might put some people off a bit.

Animal

Wouldn't put us off, but for the squeamish spectator, perhaps you should bring them along, already dead and ready for roasting... :unsure:

Crewe of the Archangel

• 3 months later...

So its looking like set up thursday. friday is a day of hands on colonial mariners work shops, saturday is living history and mariners olympics, sunday is living history and pack up, monday is pack up and head out.

Era span is historical colonial maritime. Landing of Jamestown up to the American Revolution. If it was in the colonies and can relate to maritime history its fair play.

the questions are..... what would anyone like to see for work shops and what maritime events would anyone like to see for olympic events, both individual and crew. I think we may have a safe venue for live fire competition!! but don't hold me to it.

food...tentative for now- breakfasts seem to be on individuals, lunch on your own or available on grounds for minimal $ and dinners will be on us. Cookie and bill are scheeming about pigs on an open spit. Saturday we're hoping will be a concert of sorts and a benefit auction (i'm gonna steal the dead mans chest theme.)

The cost. Provide living history, participate in the workshops, participate or help out with the olympics, have fun and enjoy yourself. Vending..... I don't want people to make a long trip expecting to sell lots o stuff, there will be reenaqctors and public and we know how the public likes to spend money on reenactors stuff!. I'm thinking one or two sutlers and blanket trading for individuals who wish -as long as its period and a % is provided to the cause.

any thoughts or suggestions?

edit** the "cause" is CSF and in particular monies will go towards the reconstruction of Luna.

Dutch, I still have this marked on my calendar. Haven't heard anything from Canon for sure yet. Still looking for work. I'll keep you posted.

Animal

Edited by Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Due to the Fort De Chartres Rendezvous at Prairie du Rocher, Illinois possibly being on or near the same weekend, this looks as if it will be a split event for us... Looks like the snotties and I will be attending the school...although I cannot guarantee we will be able to get work off on Friday... but we shall see...along with getting a head count from the east coast members of the crewe.

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

no problem. just stay tuned here for updates. registrations will be headed out sometime in the next couple of months. the only real hang up is housing if you wish to stay in the area but don't want to camp. we have one motel in town and a couple of B&B's.

ahoy crews,

plans are cooking right along for the Holly Point colonial maritime festival/ raid/ pirate olympics (any ideas for a name would be grand), the dates are june 3-7.

We have in attendance so far, but not limited to-

Blackbeards crew

Crewe of the Vigilant

Archangel

devilmen of Cape Fear

and I understand we may have the Plankhouse with us as well.

While no one who wishes to attend will be turned away, would the Mercury be able to have a showing to pick up any wayward folks who need a home? This will be beneficial later as there are group activities planned. Also, if anyone is interested in attending but does not wish to participate in events, living history is HIGHLY encouraged so feel free to chime in. In addition if you wish to attend and participate as an individual feel free to do that too.individuals are just as welcome as crews, just let me know you're coming and with a head count please.

Food- saturday night is on us. should i try to line up a vendor for the remaining meals- or would folks rather fend for themselves?

Saturday night :) a boucan pig roast! plus entertainment is in the final stages of contract. will be grand if it goes through.

Greg from Hudson Bay has committed to suttlering for us and I understand Scarlet Scarab is willing to come as well. Blanket trading is allowed but please keep it period and reasonable.

Friday will be a workshop day for us. Each crew is asked to present a one hour or so living history presentation. So far Vigilant has offered a course on cannon safety.

Saturday will be the festival/ olympics day. Each crew is asked to provide two volunteers to host an event for the day. The events will be geared towards maritime skills of the 18th century. Each crew will draw a starting lot and we will round robin events from there. i'm looking for additional input on events so feel free to jump in. so far we have.....

Navigation with a land based excersize

knot tieing

small boat handling

an engineering problem

anchor heave

folks, this is our venue to do with as we please! so chime in with any ideas