PIP Index Thread

Actually, I believe that Patrick Hand first mentioned the Careening Camp in this thread following PIP 2006, which I could not attend. He states in the thread (Pyrate Camp 2007) that the pirates who camped at PIP that year discussed the idea of a "careening camp". People tend to credit me with many of the ideas surrounding The Mercury, but I serve only as an organizer of the collective ideas, and while I am flattered, I couldn't say who started the initial idea. I assume it came from a Patrick, Jim, Silkie and anyone else who may have been in the 2006 encampment. See the following thread: Pyrate Camp 2007 - https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=9273

Still, From one Quartermaster to another, and for the sake of getting information to your event organizers, may I recommend the following threads for research...

Creating the 1720 Careening Camp: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=9343

GAOP Encampment: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=7305

The Mercury Crew: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=12579

Getting tentage ready for PIP: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=10076

The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=9816

The Mercury, 1720 Careening Camp: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=9815

See also:

Sleeping and washing... https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=11728

The Surgeon's Tale: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=12247

Special Effects PIP 08, Disussion: https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=12100

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Above is William's post, which has been split out of another topic, because I thought his post would be the perfect one to head an index of threads to help those looking for info on the event. William's list of threads above refer mostly to events pre-2008 PiP.

There is some overlap between this and William's post, but I guess it's just as well to have it in two easily accessible places as one. Note that I have tried to add the year of the post to topics where it made sense for reference.

First I want to highly the two threads of most importance to those attending this year (as of 4/3/12):

FTPI Roll Call 2012 - FTPI 2012

Below are topics of interest, hopefully in order of importance.

For First Timers! (some of the basics): Smart things to bring -- More questions about PiP -- How to begin? -- We're Virgins! -- Question from a pyrate new to PiP -- First Time Going to PiP

Logistics: Flying To PiP -- Eating Out in Key West -- Firewood, Meals and Cooking -- Powder? -- Special Effects at PiP -- Driving to PiP -- Shipping Items to PiP - Tent Poles/Trailer Relay -- PiP on the Cheap? -- pets at PiP?

Where to Stay and How: -- FTPI Encampment Info 2010 -- Some PIP Experienced Pirates, pls? [2010] -- PC Tent? -- Getting tentage ready for PIP -- Sleeping and washing -- Can We Use Hammocks at PiP? (2009) -- The Mercury, 1720 Careening Camp (2007) -- Creating the 1720 Careening Camp (2006) -- GAOP Encampment (2006) * Modern Camping: Additional off site camping -- ????'s about PiP (Modern Camping & RVs) * Hotels & Such: my research: places to stay (hotel & condo info) -- Places to Stay

Clothing & Such: Garb and Questions (pics) -- MyFEET! (Footwear Appropriate to the Event) -- need socks (hose) -- The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons (2007)

Photos for Reference: 2011 F.T.P.I. photo thread -- PIP Pictures! [From 2010] -- Pip Photos Thread 2009 -- Who Goes There? - Identify Yourself! -- Mr. Isreal Cross goes on Holiday PiP 2008 Photo Thread -- Callahan Photos ('08) -- Official PiP Picture Thread ('07) -- Pics From Past PIPs (/07) -- More Pictures of PiP 2005 -- PIP 2005 Photos -- More Pics of PiP (2004) -- NEW PICS FROM PIP 04! -- Pirates in Paradise, 2004

Other Events & Happenings: Sutlering at PiP -- Blacksmithing at PiP -- Port Royal Scenario ('08) -- The Mercury Crew (Roles 2007)-- Music -- The Sealkies Hide ('08) -- Planned Bar Ordinary Fight (at the Sealkies Hide) '08 PIP 2008 Parade * Buccaneers Display: The Buccaneer Camp 2010 (Planning) -- Buccaneer Camp at PiP 2009 -- Buccaneer Camp Discussion (2008) * Dead Man's Chest Fundraising Auction: Dead Man's Chest 2010 -- Dead Man's Chest 2009 -- Dead Man's Chest (Planning for '08) * Living History Displays: Living History Demos Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion [2011] -- Living History Demos Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion 2010 -- Living History Ideas '09 -- Living History Demos (2009) -- Living History Display ('08) *

Fun Stuff: Things Overheard at FTPI/PiP 2011 -- The History of PiP (2010) -- Things Overheard at PIP 2010 -- Period PiP Drinks -- Things I haven't done at PiP (2010) -- Special Moments of PIP 09 -- Top 10 Reasons to Go To PiP '10 -- Top 10 Signs You've Been To PiP ('08) -- Top 10 Signs You've Been to PiP ('07) -- Arr You Ready? -- PiP Teaser Trailer 2009 -- Fort Taylor Pirate Festival Trailer -- Fort Taylor Pirate Festival Trailer ('08)-- PiP Video ('07) -- Video #2 ('07) -- 'memorable quotes

Event Journals: The Tryal of Stynky Tudor -- PIP Update! [2010 By Diosa] -- A Pirate's Account ('08) -- Event Review ('09) -- AFTER ACTION REPORT PIP 2006 *

Surgeon's Journals: 2011 Surgeon's Journal Web Page -- Surgeon's Journal 2011, Text Version -- PiP 2010 Surgeon's Journal -- Surgeon's Journal Web Page 2009 -- Surgeon's Journal 2009 [Text Version] -- Surgeon's Journal PiP '08 -- The Surgeon's Tale (Surgeon's Journal Webpage '07) -- Play by play at PiP ('07)

Other Event Info (NOTE: Some of this is for reference only! Sign ups and forms may be out of date!) : FTPI 2012 -- FTPI Website (2011) -- FTPI 2011 Forms & Information -- 2011 Pirates in Paradise Festival -- 2011 Fort Taylor questions -- PIP/Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion (2010) -- PIP/Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion (Changes in 2010 from 2009) -- The PiP Poop Deck (All the Details and Information) [2009] -- PiP Registration forms ('08) -- 2009 Festival Dates -- 2008 Festival Schedule -- Suggestions for '09 -- Encampment Duty Roster -- Footprints! Tents (We need to know your living space size!) (2009) *

Roll Call (Signing up to attend): FTPI Roll Call 2012 --- Roll Call 2011 --- Roll Call 2010 -- Roll Call 2009 -- Roll Call 2008 -- Roll Call 2007 --

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. We seem to have a great many things to say about this festival.

Stynky was talking about rolling PiP into the other pirate event forum and every time I bring it up (because it really does make sense) he just says something like "Yeah, but it's different than the other events." And so it is. Thus it stands on its own for the nonce.

BTW, I added a few more links into the mondo-links post up there. If anyone sees or can think of a relevant post that isn't in there, pm me - with a link, please. It would be nice to keep it focused on informational posts (as opposed to the ones we start to amuse each other), but who knows what will work? Sometimes it is the amusing aspects that are the most informational. :D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 months later...

Ok, I updated this, but the stupid frigging software seems to be limiting the number of links it will allow. I shall whine and bitch about this to Stynky who will probably ignore me for awhile.

However, I believe the crucial links are at the top of this thread. So you'll find much of what you need there. I also added a lot of stuff to the Logistics section about driving and whatnot that is not as time sensitive as the stuff at the top. Eventually I hope to get the 2008 info into it's own section, but since the system is botching my links up after a certain point, it's not worth the trouble just now.

Note: most of this is not required reading, it's just FYI. But the top section is highly recommended. :)

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hmm...yes. Thanks for the heads up on that one. They got trashed when the forum structure was modified about a year or so ago. They should all be fixed now.

Note that many (if not all) of the links are repeated in the second post which contains some of the newer material as well. :P

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 7 months later...

I'd sort of like to update this by putting references to all the 2009 'timeless' topics in here. I am not talking about roll calls, schedules, sign-ups and temporal-bound such-like; I'm talking about the generic material that will help newbies get a feel for what they need to do, have and bring. We can put the relevant 2010 topics at the top if you like, but I would actually lean towards leaving that out going forward as that stuff changes all the time. That's not what a good index thread does IMHO. The forum itself is facilitates the time-bound material as recent topics rise to the top. An index thread is to point people to good, tangible, timeless references that no longer appear on the first page.

So...what do you guys think was the creme de la creme of the 2009 topics that should be incorporated here?

Mission_banner5.JPG

Great idea Mission. Thank you.

William and I started a thread last year over in the Mercury Crew Section titled "How to get started for PIP". There are a lot of topics in that thread I believe qualify as timeless that might help here. Picture threads are another good one.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=14604

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Great idea Mission. Thank you.

William and I started a thread last year over in the Mercury Crew Section titled "How to get started for PIP". There are a lot of topics in that thread I believe qualify as timeless that might help here. Picture threads are another good one.

https://pyracy.com/in...showtopic=14604

That's the link!

As a PIP rookie last year, I can say read these threads it covers 95% of what ya need ta know. No one expects yer ta be spot on first time out, but make yer best efforts and ya will be rewarded with the moniker "FB" (it's a good thing!)

Can't say this too often - listen to William RedWake.... take care of yer feet and make sure your shoes are broken in and comfortable and Walk everyday the couple weeks before the event. You'll be glad you did.

Ask questions, folks here are great and glad to answer your questions.,

P.S.

WELCOME BACK MISSION! WE MISSED YOU (Ya just can't keep good surgeons - especially when they were pressed)

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Ok, there! The second post is updated! If you see anything I missed, post a link to the post and tell me which category you want me to put it in.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was digging through the archives and found links to several old PiP photos - '05 and '04. (I didn't find anything from '06 which is the event that spawned the current flavor of the event which leans more towards period re-enactment. :P ) Still, it was pretty neat, so I added the old stuff to the photo list (which I moved up on the list for quicker reference.) Check 'em out!

I also weeded through the topics and did a little better job organizing the lists so that it is a bit easier to find info.

If you spot a post that is no longer relevant, holler and I'll remove it.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 year later...

Oke-doke, I updated the second post in this list to include the 2010, 2011 & 2012 topics that we have to date. I tried to stick to the more widely trafficked and important content threads.

With the changes that have occurred since 2010 to the event, I'd say most of the event-focused info before then should be considered interesting mainly for its historical rather than informational value. This is excepting the Surgeon's Journals, which everyone should go read right now. :P

Mission_banner5.JPG