A couple of things happening at Port Washington

ThomasBlackthorne

Blackthorne....

A LOT of people "deserve" the Title of Pirate Lord or King or whatever else... but they aren't so arrogant as to take it on, whether self-proclaiming or voted in.

All in all, I'm stepping away from the issue of said titles. All I say is many others have been in the "biz" far longer than you... or even I. Especially those who've been at the piracy for 10 years or so.

Being a good pirate doesn't come from titles... but ones actions at events and participation. And how long they have been attending events.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackthorne....

A LOT of people "deserve" the Title of Pirate Lord or King or whatever else... but they aren't so arrogant as to take it on, whether self-proclaiming or voted in.

All in all, I'm stepping away from the issue of said titles. All I say is many others have been in the "biz" far longer than you... or even I. Especially those who've been at the piracy for 10 years or so.

Being a good pirate doesn't come from titles... but ones actions at events and participation. And how long they have been attending events.

~Lady B

True, you are very correct indeed in everything you have said, however, I did tell you the real reason I took said "title".

For God's sake man... you foul the air!

Leave with what little dignity you have, for this community is done with you.

Blackthorne....

~Lady B

True, you are very correct indeed in everything you have said, however, I did tell you the real reason I took said "title".

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

With those last words being said, please remember that this is a place of public interaction and therefore please show some sense of decorum.

I fear if this type and tone of conversation continues…this thread, too will be closed to discussion.

Be mindful and respectful, please.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

isn't a minion a type of cannon?

Isn't it a small fish? Ya, know the name of the boat that the Skipper and Gilligan were on, the SS Minion. I guess that's why they had all those others on the island?

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I'm sorry, but did I miss something here? While the claiming of false titles might be a little dippy, and Mr. Blackthorne's defence of said title seems rather underwhelming, how does this translate into his being a blight on this forum?

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I'm sorry, but did I miss something here? While the claiming of false titles might be a little dippy, and Mr. Blackthorne's defence of said title seems rather underwhelming, how does this translate into his being a blight on this forum?

Bilge, it probably stems from his activities at the Port Washington Pirate Fest last weekend. There is another thread where THAT is being discussed.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Yeah, that thread was just now pointed out to me, although I'm still a little surprised. The guy has demonstrated immaturity and bone-headedness - not maliciously evil intentions. I'm not saying what he did was OK - not by a longshot. But to treat him like a social pariah seems a little harsh. Odds are he just needs to lay low and grow up, and good luck to him on that.

And please don't anyone think that the Port Washington Pirate Festival is now in jeapardy because of this one drunken act - I know firsthand that the festival has a host of challenges facing it - many of them self-imposed. If there should be no festival in 2010, it won't be Blackthorne that sunk it.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Having been there once, and having heard about the two events since then, I would suspect the biggest problem facing the Pt. Washington festival is the weather. Two years in a row it had tornados that basically killed the event as everyone took shelter. This year I read that the weather was marginally better, but still rainy. If management is not the issue, the weather is. Could this venue be moved to, say, the fall, when the weather is less chaotic?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I hate hearing that . . . in a few years, I plan on retiring from the life of a wealthy, landed, titled, squire-ish, power-mad barrister and take to the high seas as a private merchant and wandering poet. I'll need all the ports I can find if I'm going to make a go of this and Port Washington was one that I had high hopes for.

Well, as goes the motto of the Knights of the Round Table, "Adopt, adapt, and improve."

Therefore, by my very will alone, I will bend the course of the universe so that Port Washington becomes not only a certainty but an outrageous success story for festivals the world over to emulate.

Here goes.

Anyone feeling anything, yet?

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

This year there was less rain, but I could also see my breath, so what's that tell you?

Moving the festival has been broached time and again, but the idea has never been considered feasible by the owner, as it seems all other weekends are already booked solid. Still, this particular weekend is feeling increasingly like jousting windmills.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Having been there once, and having heard about the two events since then, I would suspect the biggest problem facing the Pt. Washington festival is the weather. Two years in a row it had tornados that basically killed the event as everyone took shelter. This year I read that the weather was marginally better, but still rainy. If management is not the issue, the weather is. Could this venue be moved to, say, the fall, when the weather is less chaotic?

I can't speak to the weather in Wisconsin, but in Ohio (still in the mid-west), later in the Summer and Aumtunm is usually worse for tornadoes, not better.... Perhaps just a shift of a week one way or the other might suit the festival better?

But my experience in suggesting date shifts on events is that the levels of beaurocracy, and the other paralell events behind the scenes of these events more often than not make a date change impossible or so much of an uphill battle as to be not worth the effort... Sad but true.... :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

Rain, tornadoes and the cold are NOT a good mixture. I do like the idea of a festival where everyone can wear their piratical finest - waistcoat, coat and cravat. But the mixture of the three are no good.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Well if it helps, Blackbeard's will be moved next year for the 400th anny of Hampton, so it will be taking place in July. But camping will be necessary, as I was told camping was not allowed this past PW.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

There is no rhyme or reason for the weather here in Wisconsin. For the last 14 years since I've lived in this state Memorial Day weekend always seems to be rainy and August is usually plagued with rain a good part of the month. We really can’t win. So we have too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry….it’s the roll of the dice.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

My first year at PW was 2006 and the weather was more beautiful than you can imagine. 2007 & 2008 were hot enough to produce tornadoes and this year Bilgemunky could see his breath even when he wasn't breathing fire. It is a crap shoot (just like MN weather) and I haven't found foolproof weather in MN or WI for anything (it's been too hot for the St Paul Winter Carnival some years!).

That being said, I wish the best for the PWPF because of it's location and growing reputation in the pirate community. I know it's still first and foremost a "town festival" but it is so much more to some of us. I hope the administration issues are resolved and the town continues to welcome us. I know I try to tip well and behave myself around the locals. I want them to love us pirates (and the purses we carry).

isn't a minion a type of cannon?

Isn't it a small fish? Ya, know the name of the boat that the Skipper and Gilligan were on, the SS Minion. I guess that's why they had all those others on the island?

Aye, I suppose you've got a point ...

MINNOW + GRUNION = MINION

BTW - it's open fishing season on grunion on Cali beaches now, -- next time they should show up is June 22 - 25.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Dates to hold events are ALWAYS the toughest. And really, just tough it out.

A Rev War event this weekend at Bourbonnais is cold and rainy. Will that stop people from attending? Some it will, some it won't. But... the show must go on. It only stops if we stop.

Weather is a hamper for Port Wash, that's for sure. There are good things about it and bad things. But either way, I've greatly enjoyed this festival and will be sad if it goes belly up.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

there were a few things wrong at the fest, but having gone to 4 fests/faires this year already, its not that unusual. Some things were done very right, including helping the pirates there with PW Buccs. They came too late to help much, but I do like the idea of a nod that you helped and 'here, have a sandwich for your trouble"

the picture sets were grand, thanks Moon Howler for that! and for providing so many pretty things for the fest.

Davey and all of the Invasion, we got to blow things up, set someone on fire, lose a hatchet in the bay, and get the Governer in a skirt.... not bad on most counts!

Dean, I can bet you spent many a sleepless night working on all sorts of things.. Cheers to ya!

Kim, I have to give you Kudos for trying this year after year.. I did sometihing similar and its not always fun. Its like giving birth; a lot of trouble and pain, and you aren't really sure you want to do it, but things work out in the end..

Calico Krys, you did a bang up job getting help to show up.. you jumped in at the last minute, and its not an easy job for anyone... remind me to buy you someting cold and wet!

anyone else who helped make the fest such a grand experience.. cheers to you too!

Fools Gold Crew--- very proud of all of you, whether you helped with the vendor tables, the articles, or just being around and talking to the patrons... Cheers and rum to you all!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg