A couple of things happening at Port Washington

ThomasBlackthorne

Ok, let me explain somethings before I actually post about this.

First, my main objective with the "Council" is to have all of the serious pirates/reenactors from the midwest group together as one solid union. This isn't about crews and who's crew is better, it's about what we can all do if unified as one to get the midwest the attention that the coasts and other areas get. Let's face it, we don't see much action out here @ Port Washington, pretty much the same people from the year before, which is fine. Seeing old faces is always a good time. However, we need fresh blood out here.

Anyway, before I babble on too much...

First, the swap meet, I don't know where we can do this yet, I'm still working on that. I'm sure all of you kow what a swap meet is, lol. No need for explaining, except for that I think if someone has nothing to trade but has money, there can be bartering for items. If anyone can recommend any place where we can do this, please let me know. All I can think of is a hotel room somewhere...

Second, the "Council" meeting. I am getting as many folks together as I can on this, so please, if interested, please contact me and let me know so I can add you to the roster. We're basically going to have a discussion on what we can do to get the midwest noticed, how to have more events, etc... My only stipulation on this is that we cannot have it in a bar. There will be too much drinking and probably a severe lack of interest/cooperation. So, yet again, if anyone knows of a good place where we can do this, let me know.

That's all mates, hope to see ye all there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Thomas, a great idea in theory...

It's just too bad it isn't an event that a good many crews from the Mid-West are going to (that I know of). Problem with Port Washington is that it is the same weekend as Blackbeards Festival in Hampton, and many from the mid-west journey east to Virginia for that one.

The Pirates in Paynetown event in August would be a more ideal time for such a meeting as it probably has the biggest turnout of crews in the MidWest...

And heck we'll be there (The Scioto Pirates) wereas we will not be at Port Washington

Michael_banner.jpg

Well Thomas, a great idea in theory...

It's just too bad it isn't an event that a good many crews from the Mid-West are going to (that I know of). Problem with Port Washington is that it is the same weekend as Blackbeards Festival in Hampton, and many from the mid-west journey east to Virginia for that one.

The Pirates in Paynetown event in August would be a more ideal time for such a meeting as it probably has the biggest turnout of crews in the MidWest...

And heck we'll be there (The Scioto Pirates) wereas we will not be at Port Washington

One problem is that the Midwest is so damn big. Even going to Port Washington is an all day drive for us, from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Going much further east would mean a major commitment in time, money and mileage. I would have loved to go the the Santa Maria event in Columbus 2 weeks ago, but that's about a 12-hour drive for me. And I'm sure that a drive west from Ohio to MN, Iowa or the like seems just as daunting. The Chicago/Milwaukee area seems ideally suited as a central location. But the timing is difficult. Has the Blackbeards Festival always been on the same weekend? I know most of Archangel crew is going to Hampton this year, but they were at Port Washington in '07 and '08. Did the dates overlap in those years, and we just got lucky in that they chose to come to Port Washington rather than Hampton? It's too bad, because their impression is phenomenal, and I think they brought the entire event up a notch just by being there.

Maybe we should consider meeting at some other event in the general area. Chicago Maritime Festival? Bristol Renaissance Fair? Feast of the Hunter's Moon? (that's a bit south, but it's such a huge event) There is probably many other events that would satisfy both the location and the timing needs of many people.

But I'll still be at Port Washington, come rain or shine. Probably rain. And tornadoes, as usual.

Edited by Sjöröveren

One problem is that the Midwest is so damn big. Even going to Port Washington is an all day drive for us, from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Going much further east would mean a major commitment in time, money and mileage. I would have loved to go the the Santa Maria event in Columbus 2 weeks ago, but that's about a 12-hour drive for me. And I'm sure that a drive west from Ohio to MN, Iowa or the like seems just as daunting. The Chicago/Milwaukee area seems ideally suited as a central location. But the timing is difficult. Has the Blackbeards Festival always been on the same weekend? I know most of Archangel crew is going to Hampton this year, but they were at Port Washington in '07 and '08. Did the dates overlap in those years, and we just got lucky in that they chose to come to Port Washington rather than Hampton? It's too bad, because their impression is phenomenal, and I think they brought the entire event up a notch just by being there.

Maybe we should consider meeting at some other event in the general area. Chicago Maritime Festival? Bristol Renaissance Fair? Feast of the Hunter's Moon? (that's a bit south, but it's such a huge event) There is probably many other events that would satisfy both the location and the timing needs of many people.

But I'll still be at Port Washington, come rain or shine. Probably rain. And tornadoes, as usual.

I believe the Port Washington and Hampton events have generally fallen on the same weekend... I believe (although the Archangels will definitely speak for themselves on this account, as I am not a member) the drift from Port Washington to Hampton had mostly to due to the consistant weather problems of Port Washington (and perhaps "prospects" at Hampton being better). I seem to vaguely recall a comment by one of the Archangels about the half of the group that can't travel as far as Hampton still going to Port Washington, but again, that is a vague memory and may be incorrect.

Feast of the Harvest Moon would be another good alternative... Although I am commited to a late 17th century non-pirate event that weekend, to my knowledge there isn't a great deal of pirate events conflicting for that weekend.

I think perhaps an ongoing discussion would suit us all good, and perhaps the various rpirate re-enactor groups in the mid-west might be able to all agree on an event for next year to as universally as possible back and go to... There are plenty of options... It's a matter of working though which has the fewest scheduling conflicts (there will always be someone or or a few someones) that can't cant make it... It's the nature of the hobby.

Michael_banner.jpg

i live in st. louis... while we have the ren faire and the piratefest, i still want to attend other places.. key west was fun, BUT a very long drive...economics may play into my attendance this year...

i do want to go to port washington over black beard's because of the shorter drive, but won't make either :wub:

columbus was simply outright great !! and you can't beat the company of scallywags !!

as far as LORD goes... well, we'll just see about that, dear sir !! :)

Well, I am going to be in Port Washington, rain or shine also.

I have been planning this so quickly, but I am still going to try to have this held at Port, true it may not be a big thing, but at least the people I will have there will already know what's going on.

On another note though, I would LOVE to make it to paynetown, and have ANOTHER council meeting.

I'm cool with doing it twice, if not just having another meeting altogether...

As I've mentioned, lots of ideas that people do have. Best to put them out there on the table. But... also best to look about and make sure we are not doing something that's already being done. I don't know about piratey swap meets yet... but I know there are a couple of Colonial era Trade Fairs and most happen in Wisconsin.

One just really has to keep their mind open and be patient and seek out what is out there before jumping ahead of themselves. Been there, done that.

The reasons people go elsewhere for events is so little is around this area. And what events there are, the word is not spread out far enough cause people do not network and reach out. Businesses, hobbies, etc... all network. People believe there are no crews around and create their own cause no one seeks out what is in front of their face. There are many more reasons but I think you all know those reasons.

Blackbeard's has fallen on different weekends. But both Port Wash and Blackbeard's remains close in event dates. However, the main difference with them is location. One's in Virginia, the other is in Wisconsin. So, why fuss about it? Sure would be nice to make it to Blackbeards. Hell, would be nice to make it to PiP... but many cannot make the pilgramage to said places from the midwest cause of the cost and distance that is involved.

Feast of the Harvest Moon I still would like to attend. But, if I do go, it's as a member of the NWTA. I'm sure historically accurate pirates would be highly welcome.

Mr. Bollows had hoped to start a Colonial event this year but fell through due to so little interest. I still encourage him to keep the thought in mind and perhaps next year can do this event.

But Blackthorne is not the first to conjure up these ideas and hopes... nor will he be the last.

If I make it to Port Wash, yes, I will attend this meeting... if there be time for it. However, I can't make that guarantee that I can make it. I'm hit hard this year like many others in this country.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

It's been a concept by some. I don't know if any have ever flourished and happened.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I see you joined a scant month ago, and I can't help but wonder what makes you pirate lord of the midwest? There are others who have been here a long time, and with crew and experience.. what do you bring to the table, sir?

It's been a concept by some. I don't know if any have ever flourished and happened.

~Lady B

Then I guess I shall be the barer of new light. :D

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Update: Weather Conditions as of 10:50 AM today.

Jun 5 FridayMix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s.

Jun 6 SaturdayShowers possible. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the low 50s.

Jun 7 SundayShowers possible. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 50s.

Hit or miss...we'll have to see when it gets closer.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Update: Weather Conditions as of 10:50 AM today.

Jun 5 FridayMix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s.

Jun 6 SaturdayShowers possible. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the low 50s.

Jun 7 SundayShowers possible. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 50s.

Hit or miss...we'll have to see when it gets closer.

Well that sounds like crap now doesn't it...

Not necessarily.

Living here in WI all you have to do is wait 15 to 30 mins. and the weather will change. In the last three years, at least one day has had some rain in it. Just have to make the most of it….besides, it gives you an excuse to go to the ‘beer/food tent’ and hang with the locals…listen to great music, and relax until the rain stops.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Not necessarily.

Living here in WI all you have to do is wait 15 to 30 mins. and the weather will change. In the last three years, at least one day has had some rain in it. Just have to make the most of it….besides, it gives you an excuse to go to the ‘beer/food tent’ and hang with the locals…listen to great music, and relax until the rain stops.

some of the most memorable events happend because of the rain.....

tho...i think i am hesitant also.....with the whole "council of pyrate lords" ...monicur as well....speacially considering the midwest groupos that i am aware of have vastly different ....agendas

some vie for ultra "authenticity"....while others ultra "fantasy"...most some where in between.....not sure i can see a common goal out of such...an endeavor....unless it was too only get more of a who's who list...more a of database....to call on for new events.

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

You know, if you got this thing to work, it'd probably be just as well organized as the pirate lords depicted in the movie. (Which means it might be fun to watch -- from the other side of the room.) As M.A. d'Dogge said, everyone has their own agenda - your best bet for publicizing inland pirate groups is to have pirate-themed events that the public and the other inland pirate groups want to go to. The events will probably publicize the pirate groups better than any concentrated advertising campaign.

As for not holding it in a bar...that's probably the biggest obstacle to getting everyone to attend. B)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I see you joined a scant month ago, and I can't help but wonder what makes you pirate lord of the midwest?

Pirate Lord of The Midwest?

Surely he doesn't mean he is the one and only?

By my reckoning, they must have at least 10,000 "Pirate Lords" in Minnesota alone! One for each lake!

There are others who have been here a long time, and with crew and experience.. what do you bring to the table, sir?

Aye sir! Do tell us the tale of how you came by this "title".

tho...i think i am hesitant also.....with the whole "council of pyrate lords" ...monicur as well....speacially considering the midwest groupos that i am aware of have vastly different ....agendas

some vie for ultra "authenticity"....while others ultra "fantasy"...most some where in between.....not sure i can see a common goal out of such...an endeavor....unless it was too only get more of a who's who list...more a of database....to call on for new events.

We shall just have to see how it goes, because I know a lot of people that I have talked to, feel the very same way about some of the things on my own agenda.

So, yes, this could end up being ridiculous, but you never know unless you try, so I guess I will be the one to try it.

This has nothing to do with authenticity or fantasy, this is about pirates, all kinds from all over the midwest. That's all it is about, just attend the meeting if you will be in the area. You shall see.

I see you joined a scant month ago, and I can't help but wonder what makes you pirate lord of the midwest?

Pirate Lord of The Midwest?

Surely he doesn't mean he is the one and only?

By my reckoning, they must have at least 10,000 "Pirate Lords" in Minnesota alone! One for each lake!

There are others who have been here a long time, and with crew and experience.. what do you bring to the table, sir?

Aye sir! Do tell us the tale of how you came by this "title".

Well, as stated before, the title was free, so I adopted it.

Actually, that's not completely true but, if you're REALLY THAT concerned about a title, pm me and I will explain me'self.

Well, as stated before, the title was free, so I adopted it.

Actually, that's not completely true but, if you're REALLY THAT concerned about a title, pm me and I will explain me'self.

PM? But why? So many of us are curious as to the why! Please share!

Respectfully,

Grand Emporer to Pirates of the Midwest

Michael

Michael_banner.jpg