Th' 2009 Ministry of Rum tasting results be in

MadL

From th' Ministry of Rum:

The results have finally been tabulated and confirmed. The 22 judges tasted 65 different sugar cane spirits over two days. The results can be seen at http://www.ministryofrum.com/2009.php or just go the link on the front page of the Ministry of Rum site.

note: 2006, 2007, 'n 2008 results can be found in th' lower deck o' th' page

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Aye, I agrees with th' monkey. I was hope'n t' find a new taste for 2009. At least last year they rank'd Pyrate XO ^_^

I just double checked, and it was 65 rum entered. Which means all but two rums received at least a bronze medal - hardly what I'd call a competition. A ranked award system, maybe, but not a competition.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Well I do not see Sea Wynde on their list anywhere :P them judges must have weak squid gullets t' not even put Sea Wynde on that thar list! ;)

::ears perk up::

I likes th' sound o' that!!

but how can we do that :P ye be way out thar 'n I be way out here?

"I'd step over ten naked women t' get at a pint o' good rum! Then stop 'n at each one on me way back" ;)

Edited by MadL

My personal fav (a Panama rum) came in at the top, I think we should have a rum tasting bit at PiP one of the nights, everyone bring a bottle of their favorite rum and we could sompound it by having everyone also bring a bottle of their favorit liquer.

id.jpg

My personal fav (a Panama rum) came in at the top

This is probably more due to its place in the alphabet than a statement of its quality compared to the plethora of other gold medal winners :huh:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

What kind of freakin tasting was this?! Bacardi Limon got a silver??? SERIOUSLY?? Do these individuals actually taste the product, or do they just give out the awards based on who pays them the most for their endorsement? If this were a true rum judging competition Gosling's Family Reserve would be near the top IMHO. Hell I can think of several rums that I didn't even see on the list that are leagues better than many of their "Gold" selections.

GageSig.png

I've been on the MoR site for a few years and they take their rum very seriously. That said, the results do seem a bit odd. I'm all for doing our own tasting and in true pyrate style all ships company should have a vote. Let's start by making a list of the rums we would like to have included. I'd submit a couple of my favorites:

Pyrat XO Reserve

Flor de Cana Grand Reserve

Actaually anything from these two sources is excellent IMHO.

I would include Cask 23 but we should probably keep the cost a bit below the $200/bottle range. :wub:

I have also been looking for a bottle of El Dorado 15 which I hear is an excellent rum but have not been able to find it in the last three states I passed through. Anyone in Florida having an idea where I can acquire said rum, the information would be greatly appreciated.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Joe Pyrat; Bilge Munky got a fairly extensive list on he's site, I have not yet been able t' find all of them in me own local area yet but I keep a list in me car...er, ship, as I drive, er, sail, around town...I mean th' cape :wub:

I would like t' add Sea Wynde t' yer list! Also Sailor Jerry fer when coin be slim, lets not forget ol' Pussers as well.

I'd submit a couple of my favorites:

Pyrat XO Reserve

Flor de Cana Grand Reserve

Many's the swab that would agree with ya, Joe, but I'm not one of them. My tastes are more for Goslings, Mt. Gay Extra Old, and Sea Wynde. But we all know that good pirates can disagree. But being pirates - good or no - I suggest we add an additional element to our tasting. Instead of trying to come to a consensus as to the winner, we each pick our own favorite, and then all duel to the death. Last pirate standing is the winner - and his or her chosen rum gets the gold.

What say ye?

:(

I AM BILGEMUNKY

*HAHAHAHA*

Apparently th' good Munky has naught heard o' me reputation when it comes t' th' fine sugar cane nectar! Why I have had good pirates pass on me flask fer fear o' how many flavors me current blend may contain :( , I have been threaten'd not by Jack Sparrow but by captain's wives t' take me keys fer fear they think I may not be capable o' leave'n th' bar on me own two feet :( , I have set on account with One Hundred pirate lads in tow but only t' find I be th' only one t' reach th' gate :(

Now how 'bout me special blend, Sea Wynde 'n Raspberry Mead, or might that be considered...cheat'n? :(

I suggest that there should be a distinction made between rums intended to be drunk neat and those intended to be mixed, for they are different creatures entirely. I suggest that the mixing rums be tried as part of a standard Planters Punch: one part sour, two parts sweet, three parts strong, and for parts weak: that is, fresh lime juice, sugar syrup, rum, and water (including ice). I will be happy to provide an opinion, if that opinion is needed.

Edited by Silken Jack

I'm sorry but I can't take any 'competition' seriously where Bacardi Dragonberry actually ranked as well as won a bronze medal.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."