Odd question but if anyone would know...

iPirate

In the next 2-3 years I'm planning on buying a boat. I'm lobbying hard for a ketch but the Mrs. want a modern Sea Ray type of thing. Honestly anything that gets me out on the water will make me happy.

In my retirement, I'm planning on take a voyage down the East Coast, from Virginia to Florida. I'm sure there are places along the way I can stop for a night but I have no idea where to even look.

Is there a list, anywhere, of public harbors or marinas where you can just pull in and tie off for a few hours or even a night?

And of course, I've heard tell of floating bars and general stores and such that you can just pull up to in your boat. How would I find out about those?

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

Most everyone uses Skipper Bob's guides. There is one for anchorages and one for marinas. They also do updates online.

Aside from those I have two pubs onboard (we are talking ICW here going off shore is in some ways simpler). The Intracoastal Waterway Chartbook Norfolk, Virginia to Miami, Florida is a flip chart book with margin notes. I highly recommend this book although it is $70 it is worth it. The second is the Waterway Guide. Depending on where you start you may need the Chesapeake Bay Edition, the Atlantic ICW Edition and the Southern Edition. These are very good for seeing what there is to do ashore and marina information.

If you are not retiring immediately start by taking some classes (USCG, USPS, US Sailing, ASA) and see what you like. Charters are a way to try with out buying. Volunteering to crew with some of your local racers is one way to get free sailing experience. Once you have some sea miles under your belt, start with someghing smaller like a Catalina 22 (sail) or some smaller power boat (not a power boater so can't help here).

If you want more info, IM me and I'll hook you up with some good boating resources. I started in Haver de Grace, Maryland (northern most end of the Chesapeake Bay) and have made it to Saint Auguatine so far. I'm just heading south, but there are the snowbirds who run south in the winter and head back north in the summer. Then, of course, there's the Caribbean mate. Arrrr!!! :blink:

And since you are on this board, there are a number of interesting historical opportunites along the ICW like the Great Dismal Swamp Canal (surveyed by George Washington), Charleston (got adicted to cannons there), and Saint Augustine (more Cannons) just to mention a few.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

If you're into GOOGLE EARTH, there are some awesome Nautical plug ins which let you chart your course, show buoys, charts, and other navigational information and even have Picsaweb links so you can preview many places you go. Once you plan your route, you can dump it into your GPS!

see these links

One Example

Its terribly addicting once you get started

:blink:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

In the next 2-3 years I'm planning on buying a boat. I'm lobbying hard for a ketch but the Mrs. want a modern Sea Ray type of thing. Honestly anything that gets me out on the water will make me happy.

In my retirement, I'm planning on take a voyage down the East Coast, from Virginia to Florida. I'm sure there are places along the way I can stop for a night but I have no idea where to even look.

Is there a list, anywhere, of public harbors or marinas where you can just pull in and tie off for a few hours or even a night?

And of course, I've heard tell of floating bars and general stores and such that you can just pull up to in your boat. How would I find out about those?

If you come to Florida come to the Keys. I don't think it'd be worth it otherwise lol.

• 2 weeks later...

How's your search going? I've heard of a Hunter 37 in my neighborhood for sale and a Gulfstar 38 which has massive room inside. They are both suposed to be in good condition and are under 20K if this helps at all. Of course that might mean starting in the FL Keys (unless you need a skipper to take her north B) that is) where you want to end up . . .

id.jpg

gotta finish with selling my house first. That happens later this month, thank God. I'm basically just browsing right now, I won't be seriously shopping until next year or so.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum