Drunken Swordfights

I debated but really feel the need to chime in here. As someone who has fought with swords and other edged weapons for thirty years and who has had to deal with drunken guys swinging swords I can tell you that this sort of action really does reflect badly on reenactors as a whole. (As do people who are unsafe with blackpowder implementia, but I'm not going to go there for now...) When you put on garb, you're in the public eye and neither you nor the rest of us can afford this kind of stupidity.

Yes, the overwhelming reaction to your story wasn't what you hoped for, but it was absolutely the right response. Frankly, if you really want to fight with swords, you should get some actual training - and don't touch a sword again unless you are completely sober.

RHJMap.jpg

Yes, the overwhelming reaction to your story wasn't what you hoped for, but it was absolutely the right response. Frankly, if you really want to fight with swords, you should get some actual training - and don't touch a sword again unless you are completely sober.

And THAT... will help keep you alive, unscarred and unscathed!

I know, I know... the allure of the *pirate* scar. I have plenty of em'.... arms, above the right eye and breast. But they are no prize well won when you get them doing something as careless as this.

Everyone here as the best of intentions for you lad. No one is trying to kick yer enthusiasms to the curb. But when you look bad we all look bad.

And believe me... you do NOT want me to come up there! :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Aye, shenanigans like drunken sword fights are why some events won't allow blades (even peace tied).

While pirate sword trainin' classes are few, an far in-between; ye might consider Kendo classes, which are poppin' up all over the place. In Kendo classes, ye'll find plenty o' lads an lasses, willing t' whack some sense in t' ye.

'Sides ye'll develop some skills t' deal wit' those pesky Ninjas, t' boot.

Edited by Jacky Tar

Aye Jacky there's the ticket ...Blackthorn next time you decide to do the drunken sword fight theme, take the time to dress like a ninja let their group of hobbyist take the hit for your stupid actions ....we've already got our hands full with those bloody Somalis

Edited by callenish gunner

I debated but really feel the need to chime in here. As someone who has fought with swords and other edged weapons for thirty years and who has had to deal with drunken guys swinging swords I can tell you that this sort of action really does reflect badly on reenactors as a whole. (As do people who are unsafe with blackpowder implementia, but I'm not going to go there for now...) When you put on garb, you're in the public eye and neither you nor the rest of us can afford this kind of stupidity.

I have to say I 100% agree. Sorry to rain on your parade.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

A lot of what we have said is harsh but we really would not want to hear that you were sent to the hospital because someone split you open during a drunken swordfight. Our response is commensurate with how much we care and how serious we know this is.

RHJMap.jpg

Well now...

Instead of reprimanding Mister Blackthorne, I'll tell a story...

Back in the early 90s when I was very active in the SCA I was a 'champion' fencer. Several of my friends and I did a lot, and I mean a lot of fencing together. At a particular event known as 'War Practice' (I think it was #3 or 4) we were all together and having a jolly good time getting drunk. Previous to this, my best friend and I had been discussing a scene from the 70's version of the Three Musketeers; the night duel between D'Artagnan and Rochefort. At a certain point in our inebriation that night, we decided we HAD to do it, we HAD to recreate that duel. Luckily (or unluckily) our other friends came along to keep us 'safe', as they could not talk us out of it. So, rum in one hand, fencing swords in the other, we headed to the fighting field. Our friends tagged along with other equipment and made us don armour and masks. Yeah, we had a rollicking good time... Not more than a bruise or two between us.

WE WERE TOTAL IDIOTS!!!

Later, when we were sober, we realized our STUPIDITY, because we could have KILLED each other, HURT our FRIENDS, and ruined an event for EVERYONE ELSE.

The next Pennsic War and forever after a new rule was added to the book 'No fighting of any kind, anywhere at night. If caught doing so you will be thrown off site.' We got off easy...

I have never picked up a sword (or handled firearms, or been on a gun crew, etc) of any kind with the intention of 'using it' if I've had Anything to drink since then...

I've stopped others from doing the same and will continue to do so...

First rule: Think of how your actions will affect the world around you...

Second rule: See Rule #1

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Well, nothing I can say right now is any different than what I've already said.

I'm sorry, I really should have thought this through. Not only doing it but posting a story about it on here, thinking it would be funny. I should have taken a moment to think about how stupid it really was.

BUT I am a pretty crazy guy, but not THAT crazy anymore. Not after reading everyone's thoughts on this.

I admit, it was immaturely approached and obviously ended badly, but it could have been worse. ALOT worse, so thank goodness it wasn't and it will never have a chance to be.

I did feel kinda kicked to the curb at first, but everyone here is on such a wonderful level that I understand it's all with good intent.

So, moral of the story has been duly noted. :unsure:

EDIT: Actually, the only thing I have left to say is this, I just hope everyone realizes that I would never be stupid enough to do something like this in public. I was on my own property, it was dark out and no one was around, save the party goers.

Edited by CaptainThomasBlackthorne

First off what the hell happened to the pub, I know its been awhile, but Jeez?

Second, a little farther south and you could have really had the need for a patch. :unsure:

Nice Scar

PETEE!!

About time you dragged your sorry carcass back here! How've you been??

RHJMap.jpg

Second, a little farther south and you could have really had the need for a patch. :unsure:

Nice Scar

PETEE!!

About time you dragged your sorry carcass back here! How've you been??

Indeed, Suh !!!

Where in 'ell have ye been Lad ??

>>>> Cascabel

Nice Scar

WOW, PETEE, YOUR BACK!!! WHOO HOOO.........OKAY, NOW I'M GOING TO BE WATCHING OUT FOR ANOTHER BLACK SPOT! LOL

YOU GOING TO STICK AROUND THIS TIME? HOPE SO!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nice Scar

SWEET!!!

Now where the HELL have you been you scoundrel!???? :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

The next Pennsic War and forever after a new rule was added to the book 'No fighting of any kind, anywhere at night. If caught doing so you will be thrown off site.' We got off easy...

oooo... maaaaan.... no more midnight boffer raids on Pentwyvern? *sigh*

(Was once called Tormod MacLeod O' Cair MacDonald)

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum