Hanging Tankard without offense?

Having a slightly different experience than Sterling; While at home on the Isle of Lewis our local does have some pint "jars" available virtually everyone old enough to frequent the Pub (Three Black Gulls) has their own pewter or glass/ceramic tankard hanging on a peg inside the bar and the barman is clever enough to grab yours and have the pump in hand by the time you cross from the door to the bar. Mine is still there with a bit of dust since I don't get home too often, but last time I went I had to wait to have it rinsed out and had to tell the 23 year old barmaid who I was so she knew where to reach for it. My Stout was served in m' own mug passed on to me by my Great grandfather.While at most events I try to keep my mug full of water at all times during the day, once the touristas leave, the contents will change to a more "enlightened beverage"

That's sooo cool. :blink:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Having a slightly different experience than Sterling; While at home on the Isle of Lewis our local does have some pint "jars" available virtually everyone old enough to frequent the Pub (Three Black Gulls) has their own pewter or glass/ceramic tankard hanging on a peg inside the bar and the barman is clever enough to grab yours and have the pump in hand by the time you cross from the door to the bar. Mine is still there with a bit of dust since I don't get home too often, but last time I went I had to wait to have it rinsed out and had to tell the 23 year old barmaid who I was so she knew where to reach for it. My Stout was served in m' own mug passed on to me by my Great grandfather.While at most events I try to keep my mug full of water at all times during the day, once the touristas leave, the contents will change to a more "enlightened beverage"

Agreed Callenish, and I think Silkie may have offered to stow drinking vessels at the Hide for Blackbeard's... we will have water for folks as well... water is free...after all I am a bastard and a cheap one at that, I still have a daughter to marry off so ye know where all my coin ends up... :blink:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Agreed Callenish, and I think Silkie may have offered to stow drinking vessels at the Hide for Blackbeard's... we will have water for folks as well... water is free...after all I am a bastard and a cheap one at that, I still have a daughter to marry off so ye know where all my coin ends up... :blink:
Aye, the problem is the pegs ...I have no walls ...hmmmm ...maybe some sort of line with hooks or just lash them up ...but then the weight pulls on the tent poles and makes the fly sag between the poles ...any suggestions PM me.

M'dear, ye may well have two galley boxes come Blackbeard's... I may even let ye hold onto the key...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Yeah, it was you and me who got busted.

ok, how is it that you 2 got busted for lemonade? And how is it I avoided the gentleman at the gate when i was certainly consuming more than innocent water?

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Yeah, it was you and me who got busted.

ok, how is it that you 2 got busted for lemonade? And how is it I avoided the gentleman at the gate when i was certainly consuming more than innocent water?

We didn't get busted for lemonade, we got asked not to hold non-PC plastic cups while we were standing guard on the dock. There was lemonade in the cups from one of the local vendors. So we complied and scrounged up our mugs. You'll have to ask Michael about being asked to dump water out of his mug when leaving the camp area (from his post, I gather he was leaving the roped off wee small campsite.) But that never happened to me - I just got scolded.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hell I just drink out of everyone else's pc mug...that way I don't have to carry a thing... :D

Ewwwww... Captain's cooties!!!! :P If I wanted Captain's cooties, i would just kiss you like everyone else seems to! *** Ducks and runs ***

Ok, that image just made me blind!!! :D I wonder if I can claim SSA disability or workers comp fer this? :rolleyes:

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Damn... just because I was in Algiers for three years, doesn't mean I LIKE it when all you bilge rats come and plant one on me all the time!

Honestly get a pack mule to carry things... I mean indentured servant... I casn't say enough about em...wish everyone could have one to call their own..

Gots a spare to sell???? :rolleyes:

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I personally detest the Rennie fashion of hanging as much crap from your belt as possible.

But I am fond of carrying my beer mug on a hand forged belt hook.On those rare occasions

that it's empty that is. Authenticity Police be damned! I have never been able to document a

belt hook. So I don't know if they are an invention of modern blacksmiths or an earlier item.

I need to buy some more of these handy items. Anyone happen to know a smith that makes

them?

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

My belt goes around me waistcoat, me cup hangs from the belt, me great coat covers it. I have the inside of my greatcoat pocket cut out so I can draw me cup at a moments notice. Don't want to miss out on any rum offerings mates.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

• 6 years later...

I was flipping through my book with reprints of all of the 1687 Laroon's "Cries of London" images... While I was looking for something else, I stopped on this image, and paused.... and though I would do some topic necromancy and bring this up. I thought it had been posted elsewhere, but my Pyracy-Pub-Search-Fu seems to be weak today.

Before posting the image, I do want to say, this seems to be a rarity, and not a common thing, but this does appear to be a gent with a mug strap on his belt.

W-32.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

I was flipping through my book with reprints of all of the 1687 Laroon's "Cries of London" images... While I was looking for something else, I stopped on this image, and paused.... and though I would do some topic necromancy and bring this up. I thought it had been posted elsewhere, but my Pyracy-Pub-Search-Fu seems to be weak today.

Before posting the image, I do want to say, this seems to be a rarity, and not a common thing, but this does appear to be a gent with a mug strap on his belt.

W-32.jpg

So you can wear a hanging tankard, but only if you strap a barrel to your back from which to fill it.

Actually, given that he's an ink salesman, I suspect that tankard may be for measuring the quantity of ink dispensed to the customers. (Which is still sort of cool.) I am more curious about what he has stuffed in his shoes, though.

Mission_banner5.JPG