Any Real Sailors

I sail aboard this as my full time job,

12643.jpg

I like the way that one is rigged and the design of the sails. (Knowing little about ships, I am going to guess that it's not PC because I like it.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sail aboard this as my full time job,

12643.jpg

I like the way that one is rigged and the design of the sails. (Knowing little about ships, I am going to guess that it's not PC because I like it.)

indeed mission, the rover is modeled after a late 19th century cargo schooner, so unfortunately its not pc for ouuuurrrr time, but is for another time...lol well also the hull is welded steel but thats neither here nor there.............

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

That's a good loooking liveaboard, Joe. It's always sad to see most liveaboards get run down and look like sinking hulks in a junkpile. It's always great seeing one that is able to leave the dock, and especially one that I would love to sail myself. Let me know if you make it up to Alaska...I can be your local pilot.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I crew for L.A.M.I. (Los Angeles Maritime Institute) aboard the Exy & Irving Johnson, twin brigantines, and I have been sailing recreational crafts for 25 years.

Dear "Poopdeck Pappy", My Dad was an Animator and Story Writer for the Fleischer Bros., 1931-38. He did Popeye, Betty Boop and Coco the Clown. He also was a Maritime Artist extraordinaire! On a subsequent posting on this heading by "Cross" is a photo of three 17th century ships. One of them is the "Susan Constant", the vessel that brought the settlers to Jamestown. In the Virginia Statehouse there hang only two paintings. One is an 18th c. of the Surrender of the British somewhere in VA and the other of the "Susan Constant" by Griffith Bailey Coale. My father apprenticed to Mr Coale as a Muralist in 1929. The major project they undertook has just been restored in NYC. It's 225 feet long, titled "A Pagentry of Ships Through Commerce Over the Ages". It starts with phonecian Galleys and ends with the most modern three funneled steamer of the US Line. There's even a Dirigible and a Bi-Plane overhead to show how "modern" this scene was!

I've attached a photo of a pen and ink that Dad did in 1931 of three McCallister Tugs and one Lighter on the Hudson River. He had just received his Fine Art Degree from Yale and it was the height of the Depression!

Edited by capn'rob

rolleyes.gifYaarh, whilst i lack th' tall-ships experience some o' ye fine lads an' lasses can boast of, I be a 'water rat' from me earliest puphood. I love "messing around, messing around in boats!" Me father is an old sea-dog, navy in th' W.W.2, an' has sailed most o' his life. Taught celestial navigation after retirement, up to a couple o' years agone. I hae sailed as 'crew' on his 14 foot Whistler from about age 4 on, then Sunfished an' crewed on our 23 foot custom cabin schooner 'Sea Haze' , (an' captained 'er, too) thru me teens an' earliest 20's. Meanwhile, I pratically biggrin.gif LIVED on th' water in th' 2 man canvas an' wood flatwater kayak dad n' I built in th' kitchen when I was 9, an' in our 12' john-boat, fishin' an playin' "pirates' wi' me mates. ph34r.gifwink.gif Me mom was a good sailor, too! We sailed on lakes in New York upstate, Missouri, an' Alabama before reaching salt water in Florida in 1976. Whoo, sailin' a 11 foot Sunfish on blue water blink.gif is a hairy an' exhiliratin' experience! (Dont tell dad....)!wink.gif

Hey D.B. Couper, I spent years sailin' an' rowin' an' paddlin' around Merritt Island! Oysters are hard on a canvas kayak, though... huh.gif Th' ICW was me own private seaway as a lad! Me folks still live there, on Banana River Drive not more'n a mile south o' th' Barge Canal, right on th' Banana 'river' inlet...I used tae walk up tae th' 'Canal an park there, or sail from our dock, an' fish pratically every day in all weathers! Hey, "Homey"! ahh, Kelley park....biggrin.gif

Sadly, I be stranded here these 24 years, high an' dry in Los Angeles, me timbers warpin' in th' sun....ah well. sad.gifwink.gif

Edited by Badger

Hey D.B. Couper, I spent years sailin' an' rowin' an' paddlin' around Merritt Island! Oysters are hard on a canvas kayak, though... huh.gif Th' ICW was me own private seaway as a lad! Me folks still live there, on Banana River Drive not more'n a mile south o' th' Barge Canal, right on th' Banana 'river' inlet...I used tae walk up tae th' 'Canal an park there, or sail from our dock, an' fish pratically every day in all weathers! Hey, "Homey"! ahh, Kelley park....biggrin.gif

Sadly, I be stranded here these 24 years, high an' dry in Los Angeles, me timbers warpin' in th' sun....ah well. sad.gifwink.gif

G'Day Mate, Ya be missin sum good sailin down here. If ya be lookin fer Tingley's... he be gone. And the barge traffic be gone too. Everything thing else tis the same as it twas.

D.B.

D.B. Couper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a professional sailor?

I've held a commission in Her Majesty's Canadian Navy for the last 20 years (did 2 years in the ranks previously) as a MARS Officer (Maritime Surface).

That's the officer that drives and commands our ships.

I've served aboard our Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDV) as the ship's Navigator and most recently as Operations Officer.

For the last year I've been ashore, returning from Afghanistan this past June and now I'm teaching at our Deployed Operations school.

I've been tagged to go back to sea for a few weeks here and there to fill in as XO (2nd in Command) over leave periods and such.

Here's a few pics

20030224_frosmall.jpg

This was on the cover of our west coast navy base newspaper. It was a story of the guy on the left. I'm the Navigator at the Polaris taking a fix.

YJetty.jpg

This is the ship I'm qualified to drive. It's 55m long (180ft for you guys) and 1000tonne

OICSEAHAWK.jpg

And this is just a cool pic taken of me driving one of our small patrol boats (75ft, 75tonne) for a CAN-US Port Security Ex a few years back. Command is an addictive thing.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

• 1 month later...

I have experience with the Brig Lady Washington and the schooner Bill of Rights. Also, designed, helped build, and frequently take command of this lovely vessel:

boat_on_lake_SDC10322.jpg

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

And a fine one she looks ta be....I have sailed The Swift into Catalina Harbor at the helm. Worked the Spanker on the Lady Washington outa Morro Bay. And tended Jib on The Royalist in Francisco Bay. I have my own 21 footer I sail at Huntington Lake along with my friends Thistle. Ya might say I'm the reason the Roger is again flying on that lake.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

I have experience with the Brig Lady Washington and the schooner Bill of Rights. Also, designed, helped build, and frequently take command of this lovely vessel:

boat_on_lake_SDC10322.jpg

She's a beauty. I'm currently working on a design for a scow/barge for personel and ordanance. Lot's of parameters to meet but "can be done"! This reminds me of the model of the "Effie Morrisey" at the Shipbuilding Museum at Essex, MA. Dutch "X" his mark

I've been sailing since a child. Delivered Yachts up and down the US East Coast, Bahamas and Caribbean. Delivered a beautiful ketch to Hawaii from Panama via Marquesas, French Polynesia. I've worked in Passenger Ferry Service with Vehicles and Freight. On Shore and Off Shore Commercial Fishing. Private Yacht Captaincy and Charter as well.

My favorite time at sea were the 14 cruises I took I the S.S. NORWAY (ex FRANCE). I like going to sea with a Cabin Steward. I particularly enjoyed the Royal Suite on Viking Deck. The Largest Stateroom ever to go to sea! I liked going to an elegant dining room in my dinner jacket and having a waiter and a busboy and I'm At Sea!!! I took myMom on one of the last cruises the Norway made before the boiler explosion that put her out of commission. We'd gone for Mom's 91st Birthday and had such a good time, we went again six months or so later. Just before her 92nd. The photo is the first full night at sea with Capt Juliensen.

Edited by capn'rob

Dutch, I hope we get another chance to talk inperson. Sounds like you have a rich history.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Dutch, I hope we get another chance to talk inperson. Sounds like you have a rich history.

Aye, Sir, and we shall. Capt Slocum was making such good time and "SPRAY" was self steering so steady that he sailed past the Marquesas! I think he was anxious to get to Samoa to meet Robert Louis Stevenson. Of course he made Samoa quite soon after the passing of the "Great Story Teller", His Samoan Name.

Our passage from Panama to Nuka Hiva, Marquesas, was 28 days. At that time a fast crossing. Our best days run was 238 miles! A Glorious Day at Sea! We spent 30 days in the Marquesas, a whole other volume, then made for Hawaii. 18 days with some rough weather at the Equatorials, then Doldrums, the rough again then back to "Pacific". Two Days, two whole days away from Hawaii, we saw the peaks of Moana Loa and Moana Kea above the clouds that stack up against the Islands!

This trip was a dream of mine since I was a boy. I was ridiculed for thinking that I would go from sailing my prams and skiffs in Long Island Sound to sailing to the Caribbean, forget the South Pacific. Well, I don't know what their dreams were, I hope they met them, for I have lived several of mine! Yes Sir, Mr Bottles. I know that "Baby Bottles" on the way will be encouraged to follow their dream. With that I will say Congradulations on your wonderful Good News and bid you Adeui!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Not a real sailor, but I had the opportunity, many years ago, to steer a small boat on the Danube.

It didn't have the round helm, only a metal bar, and instead of the regular "compass" I have seen on bigger vessels, it had something like an indicator in front of the boat, which moved when I moved the metal bar. I was taught that in order to keep the good route I had to keep that indicator fixed on the crane visible at the horizon, in Braila Shipyard, and I did well.

Sorry that my description sucks by lacking the specific English vocabulary, but maybe someone can understand my anti-technical babbling. Anyway, I was very proud of doing it! I was 19 or 20 then...

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-