Any Real Sailors

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet...Yet is the opperative word on that!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Not currently, only due to lack of a boat and time. However, I've sailed as crew on the schooner Adventuress, brig Lady Washington, barque Eagle, as well as plenty of more modern, smaller racing and cruising boats. When I can, I try and ship aboard cruises on any tall ship I can, but there just aren't any to speak of in Alaska. For my job, I don't sail, but do crew on a 150 passenger boat taking people to/from work twice a day. I'm no longer in the Coast Guard, but for two years I drove a 225 foot buoy tender.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I've spent 15 years on the Spirit of Dana Pt ex Pilgrim of Newport ,as the gunner and deckhand. I am the master gunner of the HMS surprise along with my "gunner's mate", I've sailed on the Californian,Lady Washington, Hawaien (sp) chieften,and a few smaller craft. . I've crossed the atlantic from the east coast to Morroco, and have passed the 100toncaptain's course and test for near coastal waters. All of this, except te North Africa thing , done in pirate garb and spirit.I might add the best people I know were along the way.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

Not at the moment but in the past the Mallory Todd, the Adventuress, the Schooner WOLF and many 23 through 28 footers back in the Pacific Northwest. Loved sailing up in the San Juans there. Nothing beats a salmon just an hour out of the water for breakfast.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I had training on the Kalamar Nykel and did some sailing last year but I would never call myself a sailor now that I know how little I have learned and how much I have yet to learn. Additionally, I will not be sailing this summer. There are other pressing maters this summer.

Let's see, raced Toppers from England, a fun little scow type tupperware boat especially in winds above 25 m.p.h., sunfish, sailfish, bucaneers, highlanders, Hobbies: 14, 16, 17, 20, 21's, Prindles, g cat's, scows, MC's, C's, E's, and day everything from O'Days to McGregors, and even got a try on a catamaran of sorts in the south pacific as well. I have sailed on small lakes to the great lakes, and even a little ocean sailing as well.

Sailed today.. My Little 18 ft wooden spritsail skiff.. very swift. I can sail from Port San Luis to Morro Bay in 2 seconds (not really). I was stopped and boarded by the coast Guard when I sailed into the bay for not having any markings on her and was given a warning..They asked why I was wearing Breeches and buckle shoes. Doesn't everyone? Then they asked where my 'Pirate" hat was, I told them a Cracken ate it..whatever.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Well I am glad to see a few out there. I have been getting rides at the local yacht club on Wed race night. I am learning on a 30' Laser. I hope to be building my own boat soon. If I ever get the backpay my work owes me. I sail on Lake Michigan.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Me and both my sisters grew up driving motorboats, but that never felt "right". In stormy weather or fair, made no difference. The most fun about it was when Lake Texhoma was churning with 5+ foot swells... gave us good "sea legs" so to speak.

More recently, we've been messing about in our 13 1/2 foot boat, the 'Sea Mist', which is still in the process of being converted to something more proper and pyratey.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Large ships include the TS Goldern Bear Vallejo-Costa Rica-French Polynesia-Cook Islands-Hawaii with stops at islands inbetween. Then hauling Bannanas from guatamala and equator. More onto the sailing side it has been bay sailing (Frisco) on Santa Cruze 27's, working with boyscouts here in FL on about a 100 ft ketch, racing on a reynolds 33 catamaran, morgan 60 schooner (FL-St Martin-Azores-Spain-France), Tayana 42 thru the bahamas-Turks and Caicos-DR-PR, I have also spent numerous other trips on a variety of sailboats and now have a C&C Corvette (31 foot) that I am going thru and may be taking down to PiP this year

id.jpg

I be sorry to say have two sailboats parked in me back yard, one is 22 ft.and the other is 28ft. long. morooned so to speak. I sailed quit a bit as a child on lake keystone here in Oklahoma. My dad would take us out on weekends, even participated in a few races. I don't think we ever won though. My Parents moved leaving the boats with me. Sailing is not a hobbie of my husbands so sadly the boats sit unused. :angry:

Bosun Red

http://www.bootkeyharbor.com/images/Harbor9.jpg

I crewed on this beauty while under sail at 3-4 knots enroute from Key Largo to Marathon.

Most fun: learning sailing while my kids were growing up on a 14' FAST Laser at Pinecrest Lake, Sierra Nevada Mountains. Also played on the Hyde St. Pier ships at San Francisco over the years. Nothing to compare to my son, Vintage Sailor, who's crossed the pond in a Morgan 60. But , hey, come PIP, those of you passing through the Keys, come a day early and we can sail or dive and we'll do oysters pirate style for ye that show up.

I be sorry to say have two sailboats parked in me back yard, one is 22 ft.and the other is 28ft. long. morooned so to speak. I sailed quit a bit as a child on lake keystone here in Oklahoma. My dad would take us out on weekends, even participated in a few races. I don't think we ever won though. My Parents moved leaving the boats with me. Sailing is not a hobbie of my husbands so sadly the boats sit unused. :angry:

Gah...

...whu?

Can't find words to...describe...horror...

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I used to sail around the Chesapeake quite regularly some 20 years ago. It was just a tiny little sunfish but hey, it had a bow, a stern, a rudder and a sail... I think that meets the requirements. Nothing beats the feeling of catching the wind in your own sail and dashing off through the water.

Aye misses it, aye does

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

I sail aboard this as my full time job,

12643.jpg

called the american rover, iv also started volunteering aboard these

shipAP2604_468x307.jpg

the susan/sarah constant, the godspeed and discovery at jamestowne settlement, though iv yet to actually go out on them yet (our sailing season starts in april) still alot of fun though

Edited by Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Aye, I be a sailor... pyrate. At the turn of the last century I crewed on various schooners for the Nova Scotia Bicentenial Schooner Races. I also had an opportunity to be on the Canadian Wild World of Sports photography boat for a different perspective. My current, and favorite, vessel is a 26 foot, Kenner Privateer Sloop, "Crescent Wench". My wench, Buxom Anne Marie and I sail her on the ICW around Merritt Island, Florida. When we not be landlaubber pyrating we be on the water, as a proper pyrate should be. We be pyrates long before joinin' The Brotherhood. Pyrate be in our blood.

post-11012-12574285339297_thumb.jpg

post-11012-12574286376972_thumb.jpg

D.B. Couper