PC Facial Hair...

SaltyDog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering a shave after years and years of wearing a beard. Shaving off the beard and getting a wig. Before this hobby I never could have said that with a straight face.

hmmm...........................Do I smell a revival of the demon barber of PIP Street.

William, I would gladly make a donation to any charity of your choosing if you did it at FTPF/PIP.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I'm considering a shave after years and years of wearing a beard. Shaving off the beard and getting a wig. Before this hobby I never could have said that with a straight face.

hmmm...........................Do I smell a revival of the demon barber of PIP Street.

William, I would gladly make a donation to any charity of your choosing if you did it at FTPF/PIP.

My head is buzzed. It's only a quarter inch long now.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Weren't you clean for PiP '07? Dang, now I have to check.

Brought this up with the historian at the fort today relative to Spanish Florida. He said facial hair, which the natives could not grow, was an indication of Spanish heritage and common in the frontier outpost of Spain as a symbol that you were a Spaniard. Knowing a little about the social structure of modern Mexico, not to mention Albuquerque vs El Paso (Albuquerque sided with the Spanish and still considers themselves Spanish vs Mexician) this seems logical.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

And...

...I shaved my head.

Good, all the more better for wearing a wig

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

"OH... it was the style......"

And Everyone followed the style.....

Priest, Lawyers, Clergy, and Pyrates......

In the 1950's Everyone (well the men) all had flattop hair cuts.... everyone......

in the 60's everyone had long hair.....

OK... the "style" in "period" was to be clean shaven..... but that took some effort..... if you were a Pyrate...an outlaw.... no ladys (other than the ones you paid for) why bother? who are you trying to impress?

Shaving is a hustle, so why bother...?

"Well... I wanna look nice....."

Sure... and who do you want to look nice for?........

I don't think Pyrates grew long beards ... because it was not the fashion... but I also don't think they shaved all the time.... because it was too much effort.... so they would have short scraggly beards that they would shave off when they wanted to "look nice/ impress the ladys" (not that they had to impress the kinda women they got to be with......./ or go into port......

Fer the Oderlesseye on this eerrr topic ...he decided not to be so PC

about his beard and has rather enjoyed his new look as a Pyrate with

a full beard and beads.. I have been watching this eerr topic and wieghed the issue

between wanting to be Period on this and decided to depart from wot appears to

be more conjecture on this topic than anything else though I do agree most more

than likely shaved but not every day let alone every one. My having a beard has begun

affording me new opportunities such as being in the iphone of the caribbean commercial

and possibly in a full length movie that will have a pirate sequence in it.. Huzza!

http://www.starchasermovie.com/azeroth_priates.htm

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

i was in the navy when sailors where allowed to have beards. zomwalt's navy. if you have ever "been" to SEA and have felt the wind whip through your beard you wouldn't even be wondering about this. think of your self up in the tops, one hand for the ship the other for you. the wind whipping through your beard, what better weather gauge could there be. i still wear my beard...

Havin' spent time away from the "nicities of civilization", a beard is just there because it grew. And once ye has it, shavin' be a quick and easy disguise.

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

I read somewhere (source eludes me for the moment) that sailors in the British Navy generally shaved twice a week, on Wednesdays and Sundays during the Napoleonic era. Of course, the larger ships could have some people with experience as barbers, or at least a surgeon/cook with experience sharpening knives. I know this is slightly out of period, but I figured applicable nonetheless.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg