Back pain from bodices/corsets

I debated putting this topic in Captain Twill. It's not really about what women did about pain from wearing bodices centuries ago, tho, I'm sure it will come up. This is about what any of the women here on the board do to help prevent back pain from wearing a bodice or corset?

I got a lecture from my chiropractor about wearing a bodice. How the spine was not meant to be constricted like that. I got him to at least admit that my low back pain was not from the bodice alone. I need a better mattress for one and also turning wrong in my sleep caused further pain. I've been doing better since seeing him on Friday. I still tho wake up slightly sore, but at least there's no spasms. I rub on the stuff bio freeze and then I'm fine the rest of the day. When I can afford it I'll get a better mattress. I'll see if I can at least get one of those memory foam toppers. I'm sure that'll help a little bit.

So, to all the ladies on the board who wear bodices or corsets, what do you do to help from being in pain?

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Christine, Living with chronic back pain is like living in hell. Back pain and I go way back. I've had a two spine surgeries including a fusion of my lower spine. In all honesty, wearing a corset makes my back feel great. Usually after several hours on my feet, my back aches and I'm miserable. But not when I'm in my stays. I get wonderful lower back support.

I guess it would also depend on what type of corset or bodice you are wearing. Stays come down past the waist so they do provide back support. I can imagine that if I wore a bodice that stopped at the waist, I could see where a problem could occur.

Getting a better mattress might make a world of difference for you. I had to sleep in a recliner for almost a year because I couldn't take the pain of sleeping in my bed. We eventually got a select comfort mattress and I was able to sleep like a normal person again.

If you have been seeing a chiropractor for quite some time and aren't getting relief, you might want to consider seeing a different type of doctor. Someone that deals in sports medicine might be of help to you or see an orthopedist. I did not have good results from a chiropractor. They actually made my condition worse.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find relief soon.

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Christine, Living with chronic back pain is like living in hell. Back pain and I go way back. I've had a two spine surgeries including a fusion of my lower spine. In all honesty, wearing a corset makes my back feel great. Usually after several hours on my feet, my back aches and I'm miserable. But not when I'm in my stays. I get wonderful lower back support.

I guess it would also depend on what type of corset or bodice you are wearing. Stays come down past the waist so they do provide back support. I can imagine that if I wore a bodice that stopped at the waist, I could see where a problem could occur.

Getting a better mattress might make a world of difference for you. I had to sleep in a recliner for almost a year because I couldn't take the pain of sleeping in my bed. We eventually got a select comfort mattress and I was able to sleep like a normal person again.

If you have been seeing a chiropractor for quite some time and aren't getting relief, you might want to consider seeing a different type of doctor. Someone that deals in sports medicine might be of help to you or see an orthopedist. I did not have good results from a chiropractor. They actually made my condition worse.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find relief soon.

Any of the bodices I have worn stop at the waist, so that could be part of my problem. I'd love to get one of those Irish bodices, the one with the built in skirt. I've heard from quite a few women how wonderful they feel.

Yeah, I find myself sleeping on the couch more to avoid the pain when I wake up in the morning. I just started going to this chiropractor. He helped the pain a lot, but a new mattress will continue to help as well. I'm just glad I don't get the spasms anymore, ugh, that was so horrible! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the pain you've been thru. Just getting a taste of the spasms alone is no fun at all.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

My wife, Susi has had chronic back pain since age 15, after a car accident she was in. The first time we were at PIP eons ago, one of the vendors had corsets and talked her into trying it on. She said that her back pain was gone and they way it fit, she walked around saying, "see I have boobs now!!!" :lol: Unfortunately the corset cost $400.00 :rolleyes: Needless to say, she didn't get the corset. Being the dutiful husband that I am :rolleyes: , I'm still looking for one for her.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Thanks Christine. Thankfully I had a wonderful surgeon and have been pain free for 6 years now. I still get twinges and aches sometimes but nothing to take note on.

You might also want to consider seeing a physical therapist. They would be able to give you some simple exercises that will help strengthen your spine. That helped me quite a bit.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Stays and longer, Victorian corsets have always helped my back for the most part. Like Lily said, because they are longer, they provide good support. I also find that the long, tabbed corsets ones with gussets are nice because they don't cut into the waist or back.

I would try a long bodice or stays that are better fitted to your body...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Most ren-faire bodices or corsets don't offer the proper support that many women need, they only worry about pushing up your boobies for guys to ogle...while that's nice; if you need the back support a fully boned set of stays can do all the boobie lifting and support your back, like an orthopedic back brace. The shorter irish dress bodice skirt combination do just about nothing for your back. For those women who dislike the confinement of a full set of stays and the limited movement that you will need to adjust to with them. :rolleyes:

If you are looking for a more Ren-Faire style, Moresca offers a few longer bodices. I own the Fairie bodice and it's quite nice. They also have a a pirate bodice and a few other long styes that look very pretty. Their stuff is really expensive, but the quality is superb...

Moresca Bodices

Hope that helps. =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Christine, most of the Ren faire type bodices have no true basis in REAL clothing, from the time frame(perhaps one reason for the pain, as unlike clothing from the time frame, they may have been designed without true support in mind... just a "look")... if you have a properly made pair of stays, there should be lots of support and no pain at all from the stays... and I am no chiropractor and do realize that excessively tight lacing days on end is not good for a body, but if you are wearing a good corset for events, there should really not be any problems

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well, it looks like I'll be needin' to get meself a new bodice. And as mentioned before, a new mattress will do wonders as well. Although, I woke up this morning with no pain, which is good. <_<

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Although, I woke up this morning with no pain, which is good. :rolleyes:

Good to hear it, but don't wait...get what you need in order to make sure it doesn't become even worse

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Before you shop for a new bodice, Christine... have at least a couple more check ups with your Chiropractor and perhaps even a doctor. There are a variety of back issues... and a few that with a bodice or stays or corset will just agravate your back condition, some may cause a spinal rupture. So, be careful.

If a boned bodice or the ren faire style bodices you can't wear any more... could always go with the form fitting but comfortable waistcoat that won't be tied so tight to cause issues with your torso let alone your back.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

With the help of the ever lovely Haunting Lilly, I'm going shopping for material ( linen and fancy stuff ) for a couple of corsets for me wife. She was put into one at PIP several years ago. Her back felt wonderful with no pain. She might even accompany me to a few events. :P:lol::D

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I have a wonderful costumer... that uses boning that is dipped in latex so it's firm, yet very flexale and never pokes through!

And I agree, teh longer the sodice/corset the better. I am long waisted and have been wearing these things more years then I care to count. And indeed, and Irish overderss IS a much easier alternative!

I am in the midst of having a new outfit made that is part Pirate Coat and part skirting. Long in the waist to support me singing, fighting or loving... (did I say that with my outside voice??)

Go for a bodice and or overdress made to fit YOU. Get it custom made if you can.

You won't be sorry.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Before you shop for a new bodice, Christine... have at least a couple more check ups with your Chiropractor and perhaps even a doctor. There are a variety of back issues... and a few that with a bodice or stays or corset will just agravate your back condition, some may cause a spinal rupture. So, be careful.

If a boned bodice or the ren faire style bodices you can't wear any more... could always go with the form fitting but comfortable waistcoat that won't be tied so tight to cause issues with your torso let alone your back.

~Lady B

I have another appointment this coming Friday. He'll see how things are. I'm going to let him know that not all bodices are bad, just mine has become, lol!

I was talking with a friend about this and she was surprised that I have gotten a custom made bodice by now. We even had went with another friend of ours when she got custom fitted for a bodice. It was some time ago. She said it fit so well for her and never caused back problems.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As one who quietly views corsets and bodices as neccessary evils that are not-so-secret torture devices in pretty cloth covers, I can wholeheartedly recommend Michelle's bodices of Damsel in this Dress (damseldress.com). When I read her claim that her bodices are comfortable, I actually snorted (as I'm sure a few of you out there are doing right now - PULEEEZ a comfortable bodice?), BUT her styles are so cute I decided to risk it and get one - her prices are really quite reasonable as well. The most comfortable bodice I've ever had - correction, the ONLY comfortable bodice I've ever had. I now have three and have determined that if she doesn't build it, I ain't wearin' it. You can actually take one of these off at the end of the day and NOT have to weep with relief after getting your first deep breath in your lungs for hours, and your boobs are screaming threats to drop to your knees immediately if you strap them under your chin ONE MORE TIME. AND they hold their shape. I swear under oath that after multiple wearings, these things are the same shape they were in when I bought them. Impossible you say? It's true, honest. She's got a complete description on how she builds them and with what on her website, so I won't go into detail on that here. Okay, now for the important part. Of course I've been singing her praises since I purchased one of her bodices, but a friend of mine - with a long history of back problems - purchased one and now pretty much feels the same way I do. She says that it supports her back throughout the day much better than wearing nothing, and she can walk for much longer periods of time when wearing it. She had a lumbar spinal fusion a few years back and still has a lower bulging disc, so it's a spinal problem, not just a disc / back muscle problem...if that helps....

Every bodice I've ever made for myself and a few friends, have been very comfortable. The real problem is when taking the thing off and you breathe a sigh of relief! It's called an 'out of bodice experiance' ....lol.

I have two bought off the rack bodices and one is just way too short (I'm going to have to sell it), and one is just too big now that I've lost weight (also will have to sell).

One was sort of custom made - but the arm holes are too high and it rubs under my arms. That one I'll have to do some redesigning on in order for it to work right.

Beware of the Tempurepedic type mattresses - because the tops are foam you will

A. sweat

B. and eventually the foam will not hold and you'll have a huge dip in your bed.

My suggestion if you really want to try foam, is buy one of those egg-crate foam toppers for your mattress and try it out.

I use one on top of my futon when camping and it's perfect.

Beware of the Tempurepedic type mattresses - because the tops are foam you will

A. sweat

B. and eventually the foam will not hold and you'll have a huge dip in your bed.

My suggestion if you really want to try foam, is buy one of those egg-crate foam toppers for your mattress and try it out.

I use one on top of my futon when camping and it's perfect.

I eventually got the egg crate foam topper. It has been working really well for me. I've been sleeping just fine and wake up feeling great! It's to the point that now I hardly have to go to my chiropractor. The last time I came in he didn't have to do much at all. He was like, "whoa, what a difference in your back!" :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Has anyone noticed how well I have behaved, and not made any silly comments such as.... the Only pain I have ever gotten from a bodice was when I made some unwanted suggestions about removing it.... but the black eye finally went away.......

OK.... I have made some.... kinda drendal.... under bust... lace-up......vest like things for women.... and they didn't /weren't designed to have any back support (or even "Push-up") to them ( bit of "spillage" maybe... :P ) .... Not the least bit period... they just looked "cute"...... (for some weird reason alla the women that I made them for did want them "tight"... a miss conception right there...)

I'm not an expert on female undergarments/foundation.... (insert funny joke here).... but I have noticed that many women think they have to be tightly laced up, so it will be "period".......

But women did work in such underwear.....

Not exactly the rich... (they didn't work anyway...)

Maybe I should just stop being I'm kind ahead..... :blink: