Cargo Hook?

LadyBrower

I've been trying to search the forum and Google for information on "cargo hooks." It is something my hubby mentioned on the way home from the New London Con, but I am having trouble finding info, all I found was a snippet from the Institute of Nautical Archeology naming a cargo hook as something they found...

My questions: What exactly is a cargo hook? What did it look like? Was it used as a weapon? Was it used during the GAoP?

Thanks!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

cargo hooks are normally attached to block and tackle. lets say a bail of cotton is to be lifted aboard. the lines going around the bail would be moused or seized onto the hook. an example of this is found on page 36of the Arts of the Sailor. Unfortunately, I don't own a scanner maybe we can convince someone to post it for us. I don't really see one of these being used as a practical weapon- although if someone swung one across on a gaffed boom it would clean house.

I think what you have in mind is something like a butchers hook. about 3/8- 1/4 inch in diameter with a wooden handle used to grab ahold of meat and small packages such as cotton, which have been used by mariners for centuries.

I just so happen to own a copy of that book. I see what you mean.

Would the butchers hook that was used during that time period be something like this:

Ebay butchers hook

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

EXACTLY. there are different variations on the handles, but that's it. While I was getting ready for work, the light bulb kicked in. I think the term we are looking for is a gaff or gaffe hook.