Sword Suggestions and other hanging questions

The swords from Loyalist Arms on the bottom of This Page while slated as a 1740s model, is almost identical to a 1720s model from the books "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" (by:George C. Neumann) The same book also has another sword dated to the 1690s that is again alsmot the same except for the fact it is has steel fittings instead of brass. I think the main differences between the 1740s model and the earlier models is the pattern of the actual hand grip (going from memory since I don't have my copy of the book with me at work). Or perhaps it is the fact that the earlier ones have wooden grips instead of metal ones? But any way about it, the differences are subtle enough that they probably aren't worth worrying about if you like the style overall... Otherwise, there are other options out there.

I think Callenish Gunner sells this sword or one just like it if you would prefer to buy from another pubber.

Michael_banner.jpg

The swords from Loyalist Arms on the bottom of This Page while slated as a 1740s model, is almost identical to a 1720s model from the books "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" (by:George C. Neumann) The same book also has another sword dated to the 1690s that is again alsmot the same except for the fact it is has steel fittings instead of brass. I think the main differences between the 1740s model and the earlier models is the pattern of the actual hand grip (going from memory since I don't have my copy of the book with me at work). Or perhaps it is the fact that the earlier ones have wooden grips instead of metal ones? But any way about it, the differences are subtle enough that they probably aren't worth worrying about if you like the style overall... Otherwise, there are other options out there.

I think Callenish Gunner sells this sword or one just like it if you would prefer to buy from another pubber.

Thanks Michael,

I'll owe you a few beers (or rums) when I see you at HBBF. :-)

ihtcbanner.jpg

Thanks Michael,

I'll owe you a few beers (or rums) when I see you at HBBF. :-)

For regurgitating all the same answers other people here provided to me when I asked all the same questions a few years ago? Nah.... But I will happliy tip a few back with you if you really want to. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

The 1742 British hanger is virtually exactly the same as the German model from approx. 1685 which was hardly a surprise since the Hanoverian kings were on the throne of England and they brought many of their own generals and military minds with them to govern. George II was the king when the sword was designated the common sword of the British army, He also served as the last English monarch to lead his army into battle against the French at Dettengen(1743) ...There were variations that included the wooden grip that Michael mention and also a leather covered wooden grip with twisted wire as well as the brass that was finally the general issue weapon.Many of those swords were still in action during the French & Indian War and also as Colonial militia in the American colonies including those of the Caribbean.

544708347British1742infantrysword.jpg

$80 +10S/H (Shameless self-promotion)

Edited by callenish gunner

If you perhaps want to go the custom way of things...

Here is a picture of a short version that Tony Swatton and myself made for Dave Nichols. This blade was forged out of a 1075 railroad spring.The gaurd was forged from a 1"x1" wrought Iron bar. The grip was hand fluted cocobola. We could always do another mate!

l_f72699e01f2b4aea9627701ac7c48140.jpg

cocohandle1a.JPG

But I would go with Callenish's suggestion if your looking for a good first hanger.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

If you perhaps want to go the custom way of things...

Here is a picture of a short version that Tony Swatton and myself made for Dave Nichols. This blade was forged out of a 1075 railroad spring.The gaurd was forged from a 1"x1" wrought Iron bar. The grip was hand fluted cocobola. We could always do another mate!

l_f72699e01f2b4aea9627701ac7c48140.jpg

cocohandle1a.JPG

But I would go with Callenish's suggestion if your looking for a good first hanger.

BEAUTIFUL!

I almost hate to ask, but I must, um, er, how much would that set me booty back?

ihtcbanner.jpg

By my pricing structure it would be about $1,200. By Tony Swattons it would be about $3,200. :)

Thanks! I'm sure it's beautiful and worth every dollar. I'm just not in the market right now for something that high end. Hopefully in the coming year I might! I would always rather spend more money on something that will make me happy for as long as I own it, than buy something that i grow tired of quickly.

Thanks again!

ihtcbanner.jpg

The 1742 British hanger is virtually exactly the same as the German model from approx. 1685 which was hardly a surprise since the Hanoverian kings were on the throne of England and they brought many of their own generals and military minds with them to govern. George II was the king when the sword was designated the common sword of the British army, He also served as the last English monarch to lead his army into battle against the French at Dettengen(1743) ...There were variations that included the wooden grip that Michael mention and also a leather covered wooden grip with twisted wire as well as the brass that was finally the general issue weapon.Many of those swords were still in action during the French & Indian War and also as Colonial militia in the American colonies including those of the Caribbean.

Thanks for the offer - good price. Will you be selling at the Black Beard Festival?

ihtcbanner.jpg

Thanks for the offer - good price. Will you be selling at the Black Beard Festival?

Absolutely!!! My fourth year!!!

Absolutely!!! My fourth year!!!

Cool - I'll see you there - for a hanger and ???? :-)

ihtcbanner.jpg

A few years ago, GoF had an extra hanger.... (it's one of the India made ones, Dixie sells them) but he gave it to me... cool....

I still haven't gotten around to making (pounding out a steal) shell guard for it yet, so I just use the brass one.... but I did re-do the antler handle for it.....

Theses are kinda random pictures of it... the top picture shows it next to a cheap broadsword that I cut down...

the next shows all of the parts...

and the last picture shows what it looks like now....

I still gotta re-make the guard into an older shell guard......

cutlass.jpg

sword.jpg

swordbelt.jpg

me cap'n is looking for a sword he wants it to resemble a fencing sword medium lenght and thin with that some type of fancy gaurd, but not to thin. We saw one once at the Scarlet's Mid-Winter Faire here in Oklahma City but didn't get the guys card. I don't know if thier is anything period that would resemble this but I might be interested if one could be made/found. He plays a buccanner but figers he could have picked up a sword off of any plundered ship. He will not mind it being more of a fantasy piece but I would like to start looking at the more period styles. let me know.

Bosun Red

me cap'n is looking for a sword he wants it to resemble a fencing sword medium lenght and thin with that some type of fancy gaurd, but not to thin. We saw one once at the Scarlet's Mid-Winter Faire here in Oklahma City but didn't get the guys card. I don't know if thier is anything period that would resemble this but I might be interested if one could be made/found. He plays a buccanner but figers he could have picked up a sword off of any plundered ship. He will not mind it being more of a fantasy piece but I would like to start looking at the more period styles. let me know.

I think that I had a dealer at the mid-winter show. May have been one of my pieces. I do some pretty skinny blades somtimes on some ordinate hilts.

feel free to check out my myspace for pictures or my website.

myspace.com/baltimoreknife

Other then that I am not sure.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I could see what I can come up with as well. I'm not up to forging a curved blade, but if I can come by a blade, I can hammer out a decent looking custom guard.

Here's mine:

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=12685&hl=

And I am here in Oklahoma as well. :rolleyes:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.