Roman Polanski's Pirates

Isabella

Dresses were hysterical...

This is a hysterical movie with Walter Mathow playing a Pirate Captain. It only on video currently, but soon to release on DVD in the US. This is one of my favorite pirate movies, because it is very historical in the contents of costumes, music, language, etc. And I be likin' my history!

*snip from a site*

Movie description

Captain Red is the roughest, toughest buccaneer to sail the seven seas. Along with his young protege, he attacks a mighty Spanish galleon laden with a fortune in Aztec gold. Academy Award Nominations: Best Costume Design.

Credits

Producer: Tarak Ben Ammar, Thom Mount

Cast: Charlotte Lewis, Chris Campion, Damien Thomas, Daniel Emilfork, David Kelly, Ferdinand "Ferdy" Mayne, Richard Pearson, Roy Kinnear, Walter Matthau

Notes

Color by Satpec and Eclair; Shot in Panavision; Folair Prints.

The film started shooting in 1984, on location in Tunisia, Malta and the Seychelles islands.

Shown at the Cannes Film Festival (out of competition) May 8, 1986.

Director Roman Polanski first announced that he wanted to do this project in 1976, starring Jack Nicholas and Isabelle Adjani.

(HA! Never knew that. Can you imagine Jack NIcholas as a pirate? Yikes! Heeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee's HOOKIE!!!)

The production reportedly cost over $30 million to make.

Editorial reviews

"...Campion projects a pleasant personality..."

Variety - Lor. (05/14/1986)

"...The film is as handsome and authentic-looking a period production as one could wish....PIRATES has its sly, funny moments..."

Los Angeles Times - Kevin Thomas (07/19/1986)

Consider finding/renting this one. Ebay has copies selling copies released on Portugal that will work on our DVD 1 region DVD Players, but I would be learly of it, and try and get a VHS till we get it on DVD here.

Izzy

I think this is a tragically under-rated pirate flick. Lots of reviewers gripe about one thing or another, but I think it's an absolute blast - gorgeous, funny, exciting, and spanish peacocks getting mocked by scurvy swabs - what more do you want?

Glad to hear it'll be coming out on DVD soon - it's been a long time coming.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Yeah!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so!! Exactly, Spanish Peacocks EXACTLY! Best way!

Wow, I'm glad other folks are happy to hear this one is coming back. I reach back far into my brain as a kid and remember seeing it on VHS when we would rent movies. I'd pick out weird ones from blockbuster, and this and "The Brotherhood of the Rose" with Sean Connery was another mid 80's flick, he plays a monk in a haunted/possessed by Evil Monestary.

I was laughing so hard when I saw POTC, and I saw the two guys rowing up on the boat dressed as women! I'm like THAT'S IN ROMAN POLANSKI'S PIRATES!!! I had the best laugh!

Glad to oblige! It's great to see other's have my low key tastes. I agree this is a classic film with so little press.

Izzy

LOL - how about when Capn Red is about to be hung and the priest is trying to get him to confess his sins. He asks about cannibalism being a mortal sin and says "I confess guvnah, I 'ad a moind ta eat th' Frog", to which the priest says "Men hold domain over all animals. Tis no sin to eat a frog" and Red says " Beggin yer pardon, but that's th' Frog standin' alongside", as he nods over to this French shipmate nicknamed Frog.

My description doesn't do the scene justice, it's hysterical!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I won't purchase a Roman Polanski film, even if it is about pirates. Any man worth is salt wouldn't run away from his convictions. :lol:

However if all his profits went to his victim, then I would buy his pirate movie. Otherwise, I will continue to boycott him.

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

I considered that same thing way back when I bought the VHS. But I decided that I was buying, watching & enjoying the movie for Walter Mathau, NOT Polanski. My rationale was that if I threw away every book, movie, cd or other product made by public figures who've abused their power and done reprehensible things, I'd have precious little left on my shelves.

So, I merely try to seperate the product from the person behind it in those cases.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Each to their own, Mates, each to their own, don't buy it or buy it. You haven't rained on my parade in the least, it's your choice to pick what you want to watch and what you don't want.

I'm aware of what happened, now as an adult, as a kid I had no clue. I'll keep the memory of it from my childhood.

• 5 years later...

So I finally saw this. You know, it's a pretty decent pirate movie. It is. It's droll and much more true to my idea of pirate behavior than a lot of other pirate movies. Of course, Matthau is hammy fun as he usually is, while turning in a good portrayal. However, I think the whole thing would have come off better had they played the music straight. The score has a dopey, fun, adventure-style that frequently contrasts with the violence on-screen. Had they given us something more serious and even sinister (at times) I have a feeling this would have been a completely different movie. The other sore point for me was the ending. I won't give it away, but it was like they just got tired of writing and decided to end the movie *here*. More serious music (and perhaps a bit more foreshadowing before-hand) might have improved this ending.

I'd give it 2.5 of 5 stars overall. I didn't find it to be the diamond-in-the-rough that some other folks seem to consider it, but it was worth a watch.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Without a doubt.This is the best pyrate movie directed by a hebephile, rapist, and Holocaust survivor whose wife was murdered by the Manson Family.

But I still think that Woody Allen and his daughter-wife are much creepier.

I really enjoyed the Ninth Gate BTW.

polanski.jpgpolanski.jpgpolanski.jpg

Captain Polanski and the scurvy crew of the HMS Lolita

6828pirates.jpg

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

DVD Finally! I’ve jus’ ‘bout worn me VHS copy out from watchin’ this’n. Damn fine pyratin’ film! The poor misguided Capn’ Bartholomew Redd an’ the Frog. Never a finer pair’ o’ jokers in a staked deck by funder!

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

I've read that at least some of the DVDs contain the version edited for television. You may also have to be careful when purchasing them unless you have an all region DVD player.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had more'n me share o' history when anyone tells (or tries t' tell) the tale o' Roman Polanski's PIRATES. This be, after all, the movie what turned young, beanrakish, naive then 20-year-old Richard --- that would be me --- into boisterous, burly now 46-year-old Ricky, th' Hawk o' the Drive!

Conceived by Polanski an' 'is writing partner, Gerard Brach, in 1974, and keelhaul'd at various points during the 1980's fer lack o' booty, PIRATES was rescued, sez I, by one Tarak ben Ammar, who then tossed $30 million o' 'is own d'bloons into setting up a studio just fer this one movie.

By July o' 1986, PIRATES had taken alla 12 years ta reach the big screen --- but, as ya knows, only this foolish ol' Hawk loved the film, an' appreciated it fer what it was. 26 years later, I be happy knowin' I ain't alone as one a' them what loves the adventures of Cap'n Thomas Bartholomew Red and 'is loyal first-mate Jean-Pierre, a/k/a th' Frog.

(Oh yeah; did I be mentionin' that it be the very raison d'etre fer me one-person, one-Pirate production company, Electric Pirates Entertainment? I, o' course, be the one person; the one Pirate be no less than Blackbeard himself; indeed, he be me Corporate Mascot and Principal Spokespirate!)