Hat of Puritan Persuasion Query

I'm back with more pirate fashion questions....

I'm really curious as to what those puritan looking hats that I've seen in a few illustrations (Pyle and others) are called, what is the history behind them (if any) and if anyone knows of a source for them. I have seen a UK re-enactor sporting one - it looked great. In the first pick there are two pirates on the left sporting them and the next, the pirate standing on the right.

Extorting-Tribute-From-The-Citizens,-Or-The-Sack-Of-Carthagena,-From-The-Fate-Of-A-Treasure-Town-By-Howard-Pyle,-Published-In-Harpers-Monthly-Magazine,-December-1905.jpg

Pyle_pirates_dividing.jpg

ihtcbanner.jpg

Oh yes...the "Puritan" hat.

Our good Captain Sterling own's one from Dirty Billy's Hats

17th Century Hats from Dirty Billy's

C29 1640's Men's Hat (Crucible) is as close to the picture of the hat the captain has.

The one the good Captain owns is Beaver and has been through Hell 'n Back! As still wears wonderfully.

Dirty Billy does a wonderful job...he's not cheep, but worth every penny!

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh yes...the "Puritan" hat.

Our good Captain Sterling own's one from Dirty Billy's Hats

17th Century Hats from Dirty Billy's

C29 1640's Men's Hat (Crucible) is as close to the picture of the hat the captain has.

The one the good Captain owns is Beaver and has been through Hell 'n Back! As still wears wonderfully.

Dirty Billy does a wonderful job...he's not cheep, but worth every penny!

THANKS! Holy smokes though, $250 for a hat? That's very very nice, but might have to wait for a special occasion gift. Was it called "Puritan"? I have seen a reference to a Sugarloaf as well. Or is that something different?

ihtcbanner.jpg

The Sugarloaf is early 1600s. It was worn during the time of Queen Eilzabeth I.

There are several "Puritan" hats that Dirty Billy offers. Some have a high crown and there is the one the Captain has...which is a low crown.

If you click on the pictures, you'll see the dates/and cost for each. Yes, $250. Gee, his prices did go up too.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

If you click on the pictures, you'll see the dates/and cost for each. Yes, $250. Gee, his prices did go up too.

Oh... Thanks again! Do you know of any historic reference to the Puritan hat and pirates of 1700 forward? I am finding references to that hat 1640-1680 in some form or another, but nothing in the 1700s plus. Were these still worn at that time?

As you can tell, I'm looking for an interesting and correct alternative to the ubiquitous tricorn.

ihtcbanner.jpg

And tis not worth sh*te in a high wind... I always wear a cocked hat then

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Yes, that's true...I do remember that was the Great Salem Typhoon of 2006! You had a hell of a time with it!

As for links on proper pirate hats...

Here's a link to GoF's Site

Gentleman of Fortune

This will show you what Sailors and Sea-farring men of the late 17th/early 18th century wore.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh... Thanks again! Do you know of any historic reference to the Puritan hat and pirates of 1700 forward? I am finding references to that hat 1640-1680 in some form or another, but nothing in the 1700s plus. Were these still worn at that time?

As you can tell, I'm looking for an interesting and correct alternative to the ubiquitous tricorn.

The Sugarloafs (or whatever the actual proper term for them is, as I really don't know) seem to be an earlier period hat. As the years wore on the "crowns" of hats got lower, and as the Sugarloaf is a high crown hat... Well it went out of style. A straight low crown hat could be a feasible alternative. Or even something with just a slightly cocked edge (single turn up rather than a three turned up tricorn) would be another option.

But like Sterling says, winds and straight brim hats are not good mixes. As someone who had a synchronized "almost" hat loss with Sterling because we were both wearing straight brim hats. Thanks to Dutch's nephew neither hat was lost that time. :blink:

Michael_banner.jpg

Yes, that's true...I do remember that was the Great Salem Typhoon of 2006! You had a hell of a time with it!

As for links on proper pirate hats...

Here's a link to GoF's Site

Gentleman of Fortune

This will show you what Sailors and Sea-farring men of the late 17th/early 18th century wore.

You know, I've looked at that page 100 times and never, until now, took note of the "1725" illustration. There it is! So the medium crown puritan hat looks to be good. Hmm...

MANY THANKS!

ihtcbanner.jpg

If you really have yer heart set on the sugar loaf style...you may want to find out if it was still being worn in Wales... as a version of it continued to be worn as an Ethnic style, at least for women, right up until today...unfortunately without asking I casn't say about the men...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

also known as a capotain, capatain or copotain

Crewe of the Archangel

Oh! Here's a reference pic I came across a while back.

87454715.jpg

The details:

1709 by Willem van Mieris, a Dutch painter. It appears to show a sea-captain and a ship's boy. note the captain's "mariners'" cuffs and neck-cloth, and the boy's cuff's and bare feet.

I say - check out that freakin big ass hat! :blink: Nw i know he's listed as a sailor, not a pirate, but that's pretty darn close!

ihtcbanner.jpg

entireimage.jpg

One of my favorites, everything but the hat (no offense just not my taste)...especially the look on his face whilst his wife goes shopping

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

also known as a capotain, capatain or copotain

Hmmm.. I have thought that the "copotain" hat was the late Ren-style tall hat wit a small brim, kinda rolled on the outside edges and pitched to the rear.

You know, I was just thinking the irony of a pirate in a puritan hat...

;):blink:

Well it was just associated with Pilgrims/puritans... when they wore it, so did a lot of others..

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

thought they were more Dutch in origin?...or at least they had em too

Got this blank from a sutler down in PiP...just got to stiffin it up a bit first.

$20 vs $250...course some work would be involved

PiP2008184.jpg

PiP2008186.jpg

I agree with Dogge, a good stiff hat blank looks quite the nice, and does a great job at setting you apart from the cocked hatted crowd. Also, one option i took was to get a wide brimmed straw-hat. While (just like the honorable Capt. Sterlings) they are no good in wind, they are pc and not too popular at events(though i admitt they are more use if your not exactly trying to portray a working sailor).

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

thought they were more Dutch in origin?...or at least they had em too

Got this blank from a sutler down in PiP...just got to stiffin it up a bit first.

$20 vs $250...course some work would be involved

PiP2008184.jpg

PiP2008186.jpg

I agree with Dogge, a good stiff hat blank looks quite the nice, and does a great job at setting you apart from the cocked hatted crowd. Also, one option i took was to get a wide brimmed straw-hat. While (just like the honorable Capt. Sterlings) they are no good in wind, they are pc and not too popular at events(though i admitt they are more use if your not exactly trying to portray a working sailor).

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Patrick's link to, "How to "cock" a hat" was a life saver for me. I had a hat, but it never looked quiet right for our time period. I did it in several hours the night BEFORE an event. Note, I did not lacquer the hat (weather proofing), but seeing that it was for a lady's attire along with an indoor event, I did not see the need at the time.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Our Captain Kidd Style Hat is similar to this style. We based it off of some of the Pyle style drawings that we've always loved. The one pictured has the brim slightly rolled in front but it could be formed differently if requested. We recently made one of these for michaelsbagley.

And I love that hat!

Below is proabbyl the best picture of me in the hat in question at Searle's Raid back in March. If you sort through the images in This Photobucket Gallery you will see plenty of more pics of the hat from other angles.

SearlesRaid098.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

Our Captain Kidd Style Hat is similar to this style. We based it off of some of the Pyle style drawings that we've always loved. The one pictured has the brim slightly rolled in front but it could be formed differently if requested. We recently made one of these for michaelsbagley.

And I love that hat!

Below is proabbyl the best picture of me in the hat in question at Searle's Raid back in March. If you sort through the images in This Photobucket Gallery you will see plenty of more pics of the hat from other angles.

SearlesRaid098.jpg

Michael Nice! I like! I searched around a bit and found one for around $50 that is black and 100% wool. It seems to be a "real" hat with a leather? liner sewn in. I took the "pilgrim" ribbon off it and - well, it rocks in my humble opinion. It's somewhere between the Dutch sailor (mentioned in this thread) and the Pyle recreation. I seriously have laughed at how cool I think it is several times this evening when I walked by a mirror. Yes, I'm wearing it around tonight... :-)

ihtcbanner.jpg

Actually, it's just a variant of the slouch hat popular in Europe and the Americas from the 17th to the 19th centuries. It had a low, round to high, "steeple" crown and could be any color. Puritans favored subdued, dark colors (though not necessarily black, which they associated with the Catholic clergy) and without the feathers, ribbons and other foofaraw popular with the Cavaliers. Very cool-looking once the originally stiff brim has acquired the characteristic "slouch" through long wear.