Flintlock lock diagrams, not normal

Commodore Swab

The mechanism is incredibly simple, but you may not be able to find diagrams. It is very similar to the way a single action revolver works, without, of course the cylinder rotating and locking parts. You should be able to find diagrams for that.

The way it's made is that the half-cock and full-cock notches are cut directly into the bottom curve of the cock (hammer), much like the notches in a flintlock tumbler, and the top of the trigger itself is made to directly engage the notches without any other parts involved, like a separate sear. The mainspring usually bears on a rearward extension of the cock, and pushes upwards on it. I hope that explains it somewhat. Again, take a look at single action revolver diagrams while reading this explanation. Lots of info out there on Colt single actions, so you should find a diagram.

>>>> Cascabel

The mechanism is incredibly simple, but you may not be able to find diagrams. It is very similar to the way a single action revolver works, without, of course the cylinder rotating and locking parts. You should be able to find diagrams for that.

The way it's made is that the half-cock and full-cock notches are cut directly into the bottom curve of the cock (hammer), much like the notches in a flintlock tumbler, and the top of the trigger itself is made to directly engage the notches without any other parts involved, like a separate sear. The mainspring usually bears on a rearward extension of the cock, and pushes upwards on it. I hope that explains it somewhat. Again, take a look at single action revolver diagrams while reading this explanation. Lots of info out there on Colt single actions, so you should find a diagram.

>>>> Cascabel

PH0545.JPG

I took a look at a friends percussion yesterday and what I could see was simple using a coil spring. I found this which looks like whatim looking for, however it has a flat spring. Which would you use?

id.jpg

>>>> Cascabel

PH0545.JPG

I took a look at a friends percussion yesterday and what I could see was simple using a coil spring. I found this which looks like whatim looking for, however it has a flat spring. Which would you use?

It depends on what you want, as the spring would not be visible in the assembled weapon. A flat spring is what the old originals used. Coil springs are a modern innovation, and were never used in the old days.

>>>> Cascabel

• 1 year later...

Where do you find seamless Bronze tubing suitable for barrels???

Do/have you test fired these with double loads? Any performance issues?

Just curious....me likey your toys!!! Wouldnt mind trying a few builds like that myself, using the bronze for a smoothie barrel, not stealing your boxlock pistol idea!!

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....