a rookie buying a cannon

1st mate

I am new to the world of black powder cannons. I am looking to buy either a 2/3 scale 6 pounder fronhern iron works, or the same version from dixie gun works. Both look the same except for th price. I want to find out out if hern iron works are steel lined as are the dixie iron works? Everything have read about herns has been extrmly positive and I would assume it is steel lined, but want to make sure before I purchae. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciatd.

The historical discussion of great gunns and small arms can be discussed in both Twill and the Ship's Armory, but purchasing questions should be limited to the Thieve's Market or the Ship's Armory. If you search the Ship's Armory you'll find a great many discussion about cannon and the people who build and sell them.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Being a rookie you might want to think about limiting your bore to 1 inch instead of 1.5 or 2.25

Both of these guns, if I am looking at the right ones are 19th century and large being 125-250 for just the barrel. A sutible carriage will cost a good bit as well. The combined weight will require 2 people to move it, especially if it is going on a fort wall like in PiP

id.jpg

And for the love of the sea, shop around! I failed to do so and put down nearly $1000 on our cannon, which came from Wild Imports. She's a damn nice piece, but I really wish I had shopped around for a better price. :rolleyes:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

And for the love of the sea, shop around! I failed to do so and put down nearly $1000 on our cannon, which came from Wild Imports. She's a damn nice piece, but I really wish I had shopped around for a better price. :rolleyes:

Out of curisoity what did you get? Did she come with a carriage?

id.jpg