A Boucanier Barbecue

Animal

This information is from Appendix E in Benerson Littles' The Buccaneers Realm. Comments are welcome and encouraged.

It is quoted in it entirety:

"Sund. Our Men feasted on shoar with Barbakude, Goats, and Fish, &c.," wote John Cox, former commander of the Mayflower prize in the South Sea. An ancient tradition even in the seventeenth century, smoking or grilling meat on a barbecue, or barbacoa, was common both as a means of preserving food as well as well as cooking it. Today, purists distinguish between barbecuing and grilling: the former is slow cooking over several hours or more, the latter quick. However for the Caribbean adventurer in the late seventeenth century, barbecue referred to the grill or frame upon which food was either smoked slowly in order to preserve it, or cook for immediate consumption.

The typical barbecue, or boucan, among most Caribbean adventurers was simple and casual: food on the barbecue - pork, beef,goat, manatee, fish, or anything else available - and plenty of rum punch to drink while it cooked, and for that matter, while it was and then into the evening. Turtle could be cooked in the half shell, staked up near the fire. Among the boucaniers, however, were rules, traditions, and procedures, described in detail by Father Labat.

Now let us explore how to create a traditional boucanier barbecue.

First, the barbecue or boucan. Cut plenty of firewood, stack it so it will burn well, then light it. While the wood is burning, pound four forked sticks the diameter of ones arm and about four feet long into the ground to form a rectangle roughly four feet by three feet. Set sturdy crosspieces in the forks then lay sticks lengthwise and crosswise to form a barbecue or grill. Tie the barbecue at each intersection with liana (any woody climbing vine of the tropics).

Next, the pig. Boucaniers preferred the sanglier, or wild boar, but today even a whole domestic pig is difficult to obtain. Lay the pig on its back on the barbecue. Use sticks to keep the belly cavity open. Make a marinade of lime juice, salt,and crushed allspice (called pimento or piment from its resemblance to peppercorn - pimentas), and rub the cavity well. Next, lay hot coals beneath the barbecue, and add wood or coals as necessary while the pig cooks. The coals must be carried with tree bark, for all instruments of metal are forbidden. While the pig is cooking, use a brochette - a sharp stick - to pierce the flesh with in the cavity, but do not push the brochette through to the outside.

Third, the table. Lay it with ferns and large leaves - boucaniers did not use tablecloths or plates. Cut enough brochettes so each person has two. Fill a large calabash gourd with the mixture of lime juice, salt, and allspice to taste. Provide a calabash for each person to drink from, and ensure there is enough liquor to go around. Labat described wine, but without doubt rum was served as well, either straight up or as rum punch: lime juice, muscovado sugar and rum.

Fourth, the hunt. While the pig is cooking, hunters shoot birds to be placed in the pigs belly to cook. The hunter who returns with nothing must drink as many shots (coups) of wine or rum as the number of birds brought in by the most successful hunter. If bad luck, and and not bad shooting, is the reason a hunter returns with no birds, he may choose the liquor he is compelled to drink. If he is a novice - that is, if this is his first barbecue or boucan - the penalty may be tempered. Hunters are recalled by firing consecutive shots into the air.

Last, the rules. The master of the barbecue carves the first platter - a large leaf - of pork, and his assistants carry it to the table. The older boucaniers carve next, then the novices. Once the first bite of pork is taken, no other food but pork and the birds with it may be eaten. Except for a knife, metal instruments are forbidden: only fingers, brochettes and knives may be used. Important - water may not be mixed with liquor! All liquor must be drunk full strength, punch being the only likely exception. Drinking is encouraged: "The law compels it, the sauce invites one to do so, and few err in this respect," wrote Father Labat. The master of the barbecue must fine anyone not eating, drinking, or working - or for any other reason his wisdom and experience compel! The fines, naturally, are shots fo wine or rum.

Ok, who's up fer a Boucanier Barbecue?????

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I have only once been fortunate enough to partake in a whole, slow roasted pig. It was at a Rev War event in Virginia, and that beast was roasted for a full day, mopped with a mixture of melted butter, red pepper and molasses.

The cook, seeing me eyeing the mound of crispy, fatty skin he had trimmed off, knew me at once to be a kindred spirit. "Nobody wants the fat, but its the best part", he said, as he heaped my trencher with huge slabs of indescribably delicious, crackling cholesterol.

Washed down with a dark beer, it was probably the finest meal I have ever had.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Animal, that sounds fantastic! Has a feast like anything of this sort been carried out at PiP? I cannot imagine much that would be more fitting! I, too, have been fortunate to partake in meal of slow-roasted pig... It was while living for a summer in the mountain range on Cebu island, Philippines. Even watched the locals slit the throat & drain him, etc. He was cooked w/fish & tropical fruits...a delicious & aromatic meal! What would be different this time is the mandatory imbibing!! Count me in!! I'd be happy to bring the ferns & palm leaves! :(

Animal, that sounds fantastic! Has a feast like anything of this sort been carried out at PiP? I cannot imagine much that would be more fitting! I, too, have been fortunate to partake in meal of slow-roasted pig... It was while living for a summer in the mountain range on Cebu island, Philippines. Even watched the locals slit the throat & drain him, etc. He was cooked w/fish & tropical fruits...a delicious & aromatic meal! What would be different this time is the mandatory imbibing!! Count me in!! I'd be happy to bring the ferns & palm leaves! :lol:

Yer on fer the ferns and palm leaves. As PIP is still aways off, we need to coordinate with Harry. They do a pig at the end of event feast every year. I'm planning on doing this for general meat cooking in the buccaneers camp. Part of the educational part of the event. Still working on a spit for roasting fowl and beef roasts. I think it would be a good addition to the overall spirt of the beach experience for the visitors.

Animal

our family...bein of hillbilly stock...roast a hog....or cook a pig....nearly every gatherin durring the summer....still nuthun better

but the true secret is...git involved with helpin pullin it apart....thats where the best peices are

ok...since usually takes 12 hours for a fullsized hog...startin round midnight the night before...sittin with the hog...comes in a close second

(sittin with the hog = stayin up dryinkin til dawn)

oi...Animal...better count us Damned Beach Boys in that one

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

oh this is just too easy....

so mad d'ogge.... if'n you get stuck on the fence again, that means we can light a fire under you? roast puppy?

i have NEVER been STUCK on a fence....fallen off of many....on wrong side of even more...but NEVEr stuck on one ...my good sir.....where i come from a fence sitter tis an insult!?!?

hrumpf! :D

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

yes, yes, i see you are quite correct. good sir i most humbly apologize as you have indicated yourself you are indeed insulting regardless of your favor of fence sides. but to keep this on topic- cookie has offered up a few batches of boucaneers roastin sauce.

This is setting up so cool!!!! I'll post something in the PIP thread when it get closer and folks will have plenty of time to get stuff together. I'll contact Harry and get his approval later tonight. Thanks for the interest folks.

Animal

Sounds good. I wonder why the ban on all things metal?

I don't know Morgan. That aspect wasn't covered. I guess it was a tradition someone started and they kept on. I'll see if I can find the documentation and research it.

Animal

Ok what am i missing here, your using wood to make a fire and your using wood to make the fire grate to put the meat on to cook, even green wood is still going to dry out over a fire and burn . if the fire is hot enough to cook the meat its hot enough to cook ,burn, the fire grate thats holding the meat over the fire ???? last year i used a cast iron grate to cook the jerk pork and it didn't burn up and fall in the fire , except for the two pieces that i droped , OOOPS WW

Honestly, I was wondering that too, Willie. The fact that the grille was 2 to 3 feet above the coals must have something to do with it. I think I need to research the authors sources and see what I can find out. I do know that the first americans (indians) used a grill network that was made of stripped green limbs and smoked the meat. I believe the secret is as stated in the quote above, that they burned a lot of wood in another fire and kept adding hot coals to the roasting fire. This is my own interpretation of what I read and posted.

Animal

• 9 months later...

OK... Just found this thread....

using wood to make a fire and your using wood to make the fire grate to put the meat on to cook, even green wood is still going to dry out over a fire and burn . if the fire is hot enough to cook the meat its hot enough to cook ,burn, the fire grate thats holding the meat over the fire ????

Today, purists distinguish between barbecuing and grilling: the former is slow cooking over several hours or more, the latter quick.

You wouldn't use a "blazing" fire to cook with, but the coals, so the grate/buccan will dry out, but not get hot enough to burn.