Feather Source?

Isabella

I've looked all over, but there be no place fer feathers locally to me. Any good places fer feathers? I've got two feathers now, but they not be matchin' my garb I be makin'!

Help! :) :)

Isabella

Dunno where yer located, but I've seen some apparently good sources over eBay. Having not bought from 'em, I can't guarantee they're not flakes. But I've seen ostrich and various other plumes go by.

There's an emu farm in Door County, WI. Don't know if that's close to you.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Wisconsin isn't bad, but do they do mail order?

Hm. I've got a place online but you need to order so many pieces, which is too many for me.

The last place I got feathers was Southern Faire in California but the two I got were grey and pink. They still look good, but I wanted white feathers.

There is The Hat Matters Thern Martenson proprietor in Henderson, NV. He has a wide variety of feathers (not just ostrich) and other hat trims. Alas he has no website. :ph34r:

However he does have a phone. The number is (702) 433-6002. He does all sorts of millinary work and is a sweetheart of a guy. :) He also does quiet a number of Faires. He was at the last Pirate Faire in Ojai, CA.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Wow! That's why I love the pirates, always willing to help out a mate. I'm going to try all your suggestions, and buy some feathers from the one place I listed to check out the quality to see if I should buy in quanity for later on. :)

You all are great! Thanks!

Izzy

I know this may seem and odd site to find ostrich plumes on, but I work KC Renaissance Festival for this vendor, http://www.sheepskinplus.com/ . He sells fine sheepskin and leather items. He has ostrich plumes for his hats in a wide variety of colors. He sells them at faires for $5 each. He also is now making a tricorn hats in brown or black leather. They aren't on his website, so you should probably inquire has to prices and sizes. He has headed out to AZ for the Ren Faire there so don't expect a quick response.

Candy :D

:D Lady Isabella I hope this doesn't sound to weird but I tie all me own flies fer flyfishin an you might find a good supply o feathers of many types shapes an sizes at yer local flyfishing shop . You might find that they can help ye with some of the more exotic varieties of feathers as well. Good huntin to ye :)

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

:ph34r: Lady Isabella I hope this doesn't sound to weird but I tie all me own flies fer flyfishin an you might find a good supply o feathers of many types shapes an sizes at yer local flyfishing shop . You might find that they can help ye with some of the more exotic varieties of feathers as well. Good huntin to ye :)

How does one fish for flies?

If there is a fly-tying contest, is it like a steer-roping contest, only requiring much more minute finger dexterity?

:ph34r:

And while we are at it, who is this 'Will Ruboff' that Mary Poppins was singin aboots an' wishin' good luck, and shakin' hands and all?

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I could never find ostrich feathers on e-Bay when I was makin' a "feather sword" fer me youngest cabin boy. But maybe there are more now.

I'll definitely check out these sites. Thanks fer askin', Isabella.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

**Smacks Nigel with a codfish***

B)

Aw, thanks Dreamie!

You always know just what to do t' make a bloke feel at home.

B)

What a sweet lass.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"