Cool stuff you might not know about

Patrick Hand

After seeing that cake, I decided to try my hand at one. I've never worked with fondant before - had no idea how to paint it, what to paint, etc. So I made my best guesses.

Steampunkcake1.jpg

I think you did a smashing good job on that cake m'lady! Looks so steamy i would want to eat it!(if its chocolate i think i may actually pass lolololol im one of the few that dont like the stuff....) Lovely painting job and all, you must make a second!

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Heh - it's vanilla, with lime curd filling. And I flavoured the fondant with almond.

I think next time I'll take more time and paint each piece separately before affixing them to the cake. I started this in an evening and let's just say daylight is a lot better than lamplight when trying to paint details.

RHJMap.jpg

Heh - it's vanilla, with lime curd filling. And I flavoured the fondant with almond.

I think next time I'll take more time and paint each piece separately before affixing them to the cake. I started this in an evening and let's just say daylight is a lot better than lamplight when trying to paint details.

Yarr! But it looks good, all the more so for a first time working with the stuff!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fondant: the Sculpy of the foodies!

I'm going to repost this link. I just spend about an hour lost in amazement over all the awesome ideas shown — and I only got four pages back!

The Steampunk Home

Be warned...it's like falling down the rabbit hole!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Thanks! I think I'll start looking into making the fondant myself - the stuff out of the box tasted kind of odd, even with the almond flavouring added.

Yeah...did you get it at Michaels too? Was it Wilton?

Yeah...

You might try talking to your local cake shop if you only need enough to do a cake or two and don't want to buy a whole bucket.

This is the gold standard: Massa Grischuna Neutral Rolled Fondant

This may be the industry standard: Satin Ice

I've heard good things too about this company: Fondarific, but haven't yet tried/tasted their product myself. It may be the new gold standatrd. Note: they do sell smaller containers, and have a sample pack...now why haven't I ordered that yet!

fondant: t

Or something like that ... mayby I messed up on my cut and paste....... wot ever....

OK... what is fondant?

Technically, fondant is a supersaturated sucrose solution that is cooled and then crystallized in a controlled manner so that instead of hard grainy block it makes a dense, smooth paste.

Fondant used in baking, rolled fondant, is a little different in that it is made with confectioners sugar (which contains corn starch) as well a a few other ingredients (a "pure" fondant could be made from just sugar and water, this is the type of fondant used in candy making - that stuff around the cherry in a chocolate covered cherry: fondant. So too most of the sugary fillings that are not buttercream). Rolled fondant has a smooth doughlike consistency. It is rolled out and draped over a cake to provide a base for further decoration. To this end, it is treated as edible modeling clay (although I must confess my heart belongs to marzipan).

In your hands, Patrick, it would be truly dangerous! With your creativity and ingenuity, you could take the cake world by storm!

My gawd! I'm already seeing visions of Patrick Hand Airship cakes somehow suspended over fantastic edible landscapes!

Is that a river of bacon? Tangerine trees and marmelade skies!

Nah... I was sick for the last few days..... and my Boss (Carol who took care of me...) has a subscription to than Martha Stewart Magazine....

Funny thing ... there is a "craft" project that I'm wonderin' how far you can take it.....

so cakes are kinda out at the moment.... but wot ye can do to wool... is interestin me......

more later (unfortunately... well...... it's not very Pyrate....)

Nah... I was sick for the last few days..... and my Boss (Carol who took care of me...) has a subscription to than Martha Stewart Magazine....

Funny thing ... there is a "craft" project that I'm wonderin' how far you can take it.....

so cakes are kinda out at the moment.... but wot ye can do to wool... is interestin me......

more later (unfortunately... well...... it's not very Pyrate....)

Ye mean, there's other stuff to do with it besides pull it over our eyes? B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Well, it's kinda cool....

What you do is get a chunk of wool cloth, and then cut-out designs outta wool felt.... then using this barbed needle, you punch some of the felt through the wool cloth, making a design.... I'm just wondering if I could do almost the same thing and produce a picture.... It should work...

But I gotta wait untill I have some free time......Hummmm.... sometime around 2015 or so..... :rolleyes:

I still would like to see what you'd do with fondant, though...

But I wouldn't be able to post those photos........ PG-13 monitor would go into shock....... :huh:

:P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Check out this awesome site...weird, but beautiful!

Loved to Death

RAKEHELL-1.jpg