Salmagundi

LadyBarbossa

Salamagundi or even a salad, either way... post yo'r recipes of how ye make yo'r favorite salads. :lol: Be it cold or hot.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hey, Mission (with some help) did a fantastic job of making Salamugundi last year at PiP.... As soon as he gets back from his sabbatical, hopefully he will post alla 'bout it.......

I made a giant Salamagundi for a museum dinner once. Threw in everything but the kitchen sink, but the crowning touch was when we garnished it with edible flowers from the kitchen garden--nasturtiums and chive blossoms, if memory serves.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

• 4 weeks later...
I made a giant Salamagundi for a museum dinner once. Threw in everything but the kitchen sink, but the crowning touch was when we garnished it with edible flowers from the kitchen garden--nasturtiums and chive blossoms, if memory serves.

I'm impressed! Henry Howard's book England's Newest way in all Sorts of Cookery , etc. mentions a receipt (definitely not for the ordinary folk!):

'How to dish up a Dish of Fruits with preserved Flowers - Take a large Dish, cover it with another of the same bigness, and place the uppermost over with Paste of Almonds, inlaid with red, white, blue and green Marmalade in the figure of Flowers and Banks; then take the branches of candied Flowers, and fix them upright in Order, and upon little Bushes erected, and covered with Paste: Fix your preserved and Candied Cherries, Plumbs, Pease, Apples, Gooseberries, Currans, and the like, each in their proper place; and for Leaves, you may use Coloured Paste or Wax, Parchment, or Horn; and this, especially in Winter, will be very proper.'

Henry Howard and Patrick Lamb, Esq. (who wrote Royal Cookery, or the Complete Court Cook) were Master Cook nearly 50 years to their late Majesties King Charles II, King James II, King William and Queen Mary, and to "Her present Majesty Queen Anne."

Again, these receipts (recipes) were definitely not for the lesser folk! -Shay of the Keys

Hey, Mission (with some help) did a fantastic job of making Salamugundi last year at PiP.... As soon as he gets back from his sabbatical, hopefully he will post alla 'bout it.......

Mission had lots of help. Mission probably would have fell flat on his hat without all the help. (A nod of thanks to Connie, Captain Sophia, M.A. d'Dogge and Miles.)

I posted the info for this on my website in one of the hidden "Easter Egg" pages for the PiP '08 Surgeon's Journal. You can see it here.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG