Deadliest Warrior

Deadliest Warrior - blunderbuss

Look what I found.....Let's see...

There's Michael, Richard, Gary, Danny, and so many others. West Coast Pirates rule! hehehehe

but I make no claim to the 'actor'. Nice eye candy thou.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching this show. Some episodes have been better then others. Viking vr Samurai was fun. I think Gladiator vr American Indian was a bit of a stretch but man some of the weapons demos were AWESOME!

I can't wait to see what they do with Pirates.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I'd like to add, that my friend Tony Kopec is in the show on Tuesday. Look for the blond guy with a red bandana around his head - at least that's what my friend Dawn told me this morning about her boyfriend.

BTW- They live right up the hill from me.

walktheplank.gif

I think these types of comparisons are more akin to a barstool bet gone horribly wrong, but since my mates here indicated an interest I have watched the first three shows. I am interested in seeing what weapons they allow the pirate. Since the ships gun would be a crew served weapon let's eliminate it but this still leaves musket, musketoon, blunderbuss, hand mortar, grenade, stink bomb, and between two and six pistols before we even start considering edged weapons. I am also interested in the fact that they are showing the knight in what appears to be late plate armor which greatly restricts movement when afoot. Of course this begs the question will they allow the knight to be mounted? So far they are placing everyone afoot so this seems unlikely.

It would seem to me they are going to have to greatly restrict the pirates available weapons or this should is going to be an extremely short show, about the length of the scene in the first Indiana Jones movie where he caps the buy with the sword.

Another thing that comes to mind when considering their computer simulation is the old programming adage, GIGO. (Garbage In, Garbage Out). I'd like to see some of the design specifications on this particular program. I'd also like to see them take a reading off every one of the so called “weapons experts”, not just the one with the most skill in a particular weapon.

Well mates, I’ve got the rum and hardtack ready and will be watching with ye tomorrow night. It should prove interesting or maybe just frustrating as did the cannon/shivers episode of Myth Busters.

Edited by Joe Pyrat

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Another thing that comes to mind when considering their computer simulation is the old programming adage, GIGO. (Garbage In, Garbage Out). I'd like to see some of the design specifications on this particular program. I'd also like to see them take a reading off every one of the so called “weapons experts”, not just the one with the most skill in a particular weapon.

Somehow after watching the first three. I get the feeling that the super duper computer program that they talk about all the time is just BS. Its prob just made up. After all my dealings with reality TV I have found that its all BS.

thatworks.shop

I think these types of comparisons are more akin to a barstool bet gone horribly wrong,

Couldn't agree more. This is entertainment, plain and simple. Just sit back have a cup of rum and enjoy the show.

Like already stated, by others in this thread, I am just disappointed that it wasn't Pirate vs. Ninja!

P.S. Hey, maybe next season they could have caveman vs. atomic armed B-29 bomber crew? Yea, up close I give the advantage to the club, but that nuclear weapon does give the air crew a certain edge, let's see what the computer says...

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Just got through watchin' the show mates. Huzzah for the pirate!

But seriously I've got a couple of questions.

1. They only did one pistol test and as luck would have it hit the armor on perhaps its strongest place, the rolled seam where there was a double thickness of armor. Several shots would have made a more telling test.

2. Having seen actual armor with bullet holes in it, I would be interested in knowing what alloy the armor was made out of. Was it as strong as or stronger than the armor a knight would have actually been wearing?

3. The crossbow bolt is not locked into the weapon so how would you be able to be move and employ it rapidly without the bold dislodging?

4. I also found the gernado use in the presented scenario questionable as lighting it on the run and timing the detonation would prove, most likely, beyond tactical capabilities under the circumstances.

Not related to the actual tactical demonstration, the knight supporter's statement that the flintlock when turned on its side would have the priming powder run out thus causing a misfire indicated a real lack of knowledge on the operation of flintlocks. Of course the one pirate's explanation of how a flintlock worked wasn't especially impressive either.

The next show, Mafia vs. Yakuza actually seems to make more sense than anything they’ve presented so far. And like me mate Graydog said, it be entertainment mate, so grab some gorg and enjoy.

JoePyratA.gif

Welp, for those of you who missed it (like me), it's on again this saturday evening (6:30pm central according to out local cable guide).

Interesting questions, Joe.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Welp, for those of you who missed it (like me), it's on again this saturday evening (6:30pm central according to out local cable guide).

Interesting questions, Joe.

~Lady B

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

Yes, the mafia vs yakusa is interesting due in part to the demo of the weaponry and the use of live ammunition. It will be entertaining from at least that point of view, like the difference between full auto 45's and 9mm.....

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

1. They only did one pistol test and as luck would have it hit the armor on perhaps its strongest place, the rolled seam where there was a double thickness of armor. Several shots would have made a more telling test.

2. Having seen actual armor with bullet holes in it, I would be interested in knowing what alloy the armor was made out of. Was it as strong as or stronger than the armor a knight would have actually been wearing?

Agreed it would have been more interesting to see.. and I am surprised the pirate did not at least wound the knight's horse at that close a distance...I guess they didn't have a trick animal to use for the scenario...damn but tis so easy to take down one horse with the weapons the pirate was allowed to use....

but they do show the computer "test" results toward the end... and they show the number of kills estimated per weapon tested... both pistol and buss well out numbered anything the knight used regarding kills...

in my opinion, the best part was after the pirate drops the knight with the buss, he grabs the treasure and runs off to the beach... notices the knight get up and start chasing him again. The pirate rolls his eyes and mumbles something along the lines of oh bloody hell... now that was great!!

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Agreed it would have been more interesting to see.. and I am surprised the pirate did not at least wound the knight's horse at that close a distance...I guess they didn't have a trick animal to use for the scenario...damn but tis so easy to take down one horse with the weapons the pirate was allowed to use....

but they do show the computer "test" results toward the end... and they show the number of kills estimated per weapon tested... both pistol and buss well out numbered anything the knight used regarding kills...

in my opinion, the best part was after the pirate drops the knight with the buss, he grabs the treasure and runs off to the beach... notices the knight get up and start chasing him again. The pirate rolls his eyes and mumbles something along the lines of oh bloody hell... now that was great!!

That was hilarious. - a nice touch.

ihtcbanner.jpg

Agrees with Sterling on the the Scenerio.. it was as if to say... C'mon you haven't had enough already? I just want me Money :rolleyes:

Of course the kill scene was definitely one for the books.. Won't spoil it for Lady B... But that was classic!!

Edited by Shipwreck John

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

[quote name='Shipwreck John' date='Apr 29 200

Of course the kill scene was definitely one for the books.. Won't spoil it for Lady B... But that was classic!!

Agreed... so much for the knight's special edge...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Glad we won!

I think the episode was entertaining. I thought it was hilarious that one of the guys that just spent a weekend with us here in Baltimore showed up as part of the pirate crew. Much like he did in all of our baltimore photos, Jeweles just seemed to pop up here and there in the crew scenes. He is the one with the long whitebeard...

Anyway. Main thing that I think was unfair was how they tested the knights weapons without the guy being in full plate armor. I dont see how that is fair. Being a maker of armor I know that your movements are not restricted much, but come on...it wieghs you down a little. I think the results for the broad sword slice on the pigwould have been a bit different in full plate. Not as much of a baseball swing and they didnt even mention that he used two hands on the broad sword vr the one hand on the cutlass.

I think when the grenade went off we were supposed to believe that the horse bit it.

I still think the pirate should have just ran into the water and seen if the knight would chase...

Neat show!

thatworks.shop

I still think the pirate should have just ran into the water and seen if the knight would chase...

Neat show!

Between the armor and the bucket boots.. that could have been pretty damn funny...

Crewe of the Archangel

Neat show!

Between the armor and the bucket boots.. that could have been pretty damn funny...

Especially... if there had been a ship with full cannon waiting off shore for the Knight. :lol:

(Sorry, sorry I know that would not be very chivalrous ... (shrug)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I'm glad the Pirate won and all but I am still wondering how many guns he had on him ..he sure didna have time to reload a pistol to shoot him the face.. I think the guy who thought he was all superior got wot was coming... Huzza for the Pirate!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I will have to watch again (recorded it) but I think he was carrying three pistols at the beginning and I believe he fired all three including the final shot plus the blunderbuss which knocked Mr. High and Mighty on his arse.

JoePyratA.gif

Neat show!

Especially... if there had been a ship with full cannon waiting off shore for the Knight. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, sorry I know that would not be very chivalrous ... (shrug)

Now M'dear since when are pirates supposed to be chivalrous? and frankly since said knight had the advantage of his horse at one point, why not give the pirate a chance with his big guns... **wicked grin**

Crewe of the Archangel