Paper cartridge tubes

sutlerjon

Here's something I've been meaning to post for a while now ..... paper tubes.

The small ones will comfortably hold 80 gr of powder.

The larger ones are based on a revwar design and will hold 180 gr easily.

Prices are small ones 135 per box $8.00

Large ones will be 100 for $8.00

I've always made them from, easy to tear with your teeth newsprint.

100_0677.jpg

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

For what caliber balls are these rolled?

The small one are designed for a 60gr BLANK powder charge and just a tad undersize for typical .58 cal CW minie' ball

The larger on is on a 3/4" spindle and would comfortably hold a round just under .75 in diameter.

Having made live rounds for USCW over the years (for living history demos ... not shooting at people) a dowel for actually live loading would have to a bit closer to diameter of the round ......

Oh, crap, maybe these aren't PC enough, they are designed for carrying blanks in your cartridge box.

For accurate sizing you should see the thread on making cartridges and look at the book called "Making Cartridges" by a man named Reardon ( I believe) that's where I got my PC info on making cartridges. Very good book.

The large ones should comfortably hold up to about .69 caliber round. For what we're doing with blank rounds these are great. In many ways (the smaller ones) they actually conform to the specs in the ordnance manual for the 1850's - 1860's.

Pre-made military rounds seem to have been produced with a secondary inner tube for the powder, to keep it out of the base of the Minie' ball.

The only real documentation I have for this period is the written account that Buccanneers would carry paper cartridges along with lead shot with them. I believe the paper was merely a more convenient way of carrying the powder load and the lead was carried apart albeit in the same cartridge box. I'm sure there are far more knowledgable than myself on this.

Sorry, I just came back from a CW forum and they were ranting an' bein obnoxius, no mean intent here. Just trying to be up front an' honest

They really aren't designed for a particular round, just a powder vessel to aid in rapidity of shootn'.

There's a good conversation in "Armory" --- "cartridges"

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

For what caliber balls are these rolled?

Oh, crap, maybe these aren't PC enough, they are designed for carrying blanks in your cartridge box.

<snip>

They really aren't designed for a particular round, just a powder vessel to aid in rapidity of shootn'.

No worries mate! I was just wondering if they'd work for my purposes.

Awesome, Jon! Will keep this in mind. :) Thank ye.

Oh, I'm sure they'll work, James. Worry more about the amount of grains ye have. :lol: Hehehehe, otherwise ye'll have a big BOOM, blast leaves off th' trees and fall backwards onto yo'r bum! (yes, I actually saw that, t'was hard not t' laugh while on th' battlefield bein' shot at)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 4 weeks later...