Holiday Wassail

Black Syren

From Colonial Williamsburg

Holiday Wassail

1 gallon apple cider

1 large can pineapple juice (unsweetened)

3/4 cup tea can use herb tea)

Place in a cheesecloth sack:

1 Tablespoon whole cloves

1 Tablespoon whole allspice

2 sticks cinnamon

This is great cooked in a crock pot. Let it simmer very slowly for 4 to 6 hours. You can add water if it evaporates too much. Your classroom will smell wonderful and the students will love it! Serves 20.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Ya know, the term "cider" is a vexing one... Some people use the term cider to indicate alcoholic apple extract, and any liquid from apples that is not fermented is just apple juice.

However I was raised that apple juice is all filtered and clear, apple cider is just unfiltered apple juice (what the above mentioned type of people call raw apple juice), and "hard cider" is when apple liquid has been fermented...

So the above recipe may be calling for "hard cider" if the depending on the author's point of view... It's just all so darn confusing... ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

Ohh I'll be sure to put my mother-in-laws recipe on here, everytime I make it at a holiday party its gone in seconds!!

Hmmm seeing as we've started proclaiming Merry PIPmas... we should make a couple of batches of Wassil this year..... Ooohhh I'll definately work on that!

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

This is the sort of Wassail I'm used to ...got a bit more "BALLS" than the fruit juice version above and serves enough for a crewe of pyrates.....IMHO

Ingredients:

24 small red apples

6 whole cloves

6 whole allspice

6 cardamom seed, coarsely broken

2 cinnamon stick, broken

4 quarts ale

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

4 cups sugar

2 bottles 4/5 quart dry sherry

12 eggs, separated

Directions:

Bake apples at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Set aside. Tie cloves, allspice, cardamom and cinnamon in cheesecloth bag. Place in kettle with 2 cups ale, ginger and nutmeg. Heat slowly 10 minutes; remove spice bag. Add remaining ale, sugar and sherry. Heat slowly 20 minutes. Do not boil. Beat egg whites to firm peaks. Beat yolks and fold in whites. Slowly beat in hot ale mixture until smooth. Carefully pour in punch bowl. Float apples on top. Serve warm in heated mugs or cups.

It was custom in days gone by to make a powerful drink on twelfth night, float raisins on top and set fire to the surface.

Edited by callenish gunner