Apple Drink with sugar and honey

Black Syren

Apple-Drink with Sugar, Honey, &c..

A very pleasant drink is made of Apples, thus: Boil sliced Apples in water, to make the water strong of Apples, as when you make to drink it for coolness and pleasure. Sweeten it with Sugar to your taste, such a quantity of sliced Apples, as would make so much water strong enough of Apples; and then bottle it up close for three or four months. There will come a thick mother at the top, which being taken off, all the rest will be very clear, and quick and pleasant to the taste, beyond any Cider. It will be the better to most tastes, if you put a very little Rosemary into the liquor when you boil it, and a little Limon-peel into each bottle when you bottle it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 4 weeks later...

For those who wish not so long to wait:

Quartermaster's Apple Punch recipe

Mix:

16 ounce can of frozen apple juice concentrate

1 cup Captain Morgan

1/3 cup Meyer's Dark

1/3 cup any good medium rhum

1/4 tsp Allspice

1/4 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp cinnamon

water to 1/2 gallon

let sit refrigerated overnight, or longer.

Strain spices.

Add 1 ounce Gran Gala or Grand Marnier

Store refrigerated in a 1/2 gallon bottle with 2-3 cinnamon sticks.

• 4 months later...

On a slight tangent, inspired by a project I started but could not finish (relocation), and by some encouragement by Kian McBrian... I am about to embark on making some Cyser (mead meets hard cider).

I went out to a near by apple orchard on Sunday, and with the help of the wife purchased a bunch of gallons of raw apple juice (unfermented cider). A few weeks ago, the wife surprised me by taking me to a "Honey Festival" in the next township over, so I was able to buy a whole bunch of nice dark honey for a pretty good price... And in doing so, I discovered the guy that owns that particular business resides within a couple of miles of where I live, so I should now be able to get a lot more honey at decent prices without having to go out of my way to find farmer's markets or other places where honey can be bought in bulk for cheap.

The recipe I will be using is mostly derived from the below book.

513C3XW5P6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I will be using 3 pounds of dark wildflower honey (from a friend who lives up in Northern Ohio),

5 pounds of med-dark wildflower honey (from the local guy),

4 gallons of raw apple juice (cider),

1/2 pound of chopped dates,

1/2 pound of chopped raisins,

1 pound of dark brown sugar,

and the usual assortment of yeast energizers and nutrients.

I haven't selected the type of yeast I will be using yet, but it will likely be a yeast geared to white wines.

Hopefully it will turn out well... Unfortunately I won't know for at least a year. :blink: Love making this stuff, just wish it didn't take so long!

Michael_banner.jpg