Gypsy skirt thingy

I have a question for the ladies that wear these gypsy "skirts" thingies with the dangling coins on them. Now those things have to catch just about every piece of cloth that gets near them so I'm asking if you all understand this.

This weekend at the con I was in the main bar during a pirates charles set. Many pirates were packed into the place and dancing was plentiful, mostly by ladies wearing this gypsy attire. I squeeze by one lady and my vest got caught on a coin and pulled the lady back toward me as we walked in opposite directions. She shot me the dirtiest, meanest look I have seen in a long time and had this disgusted look on her face. When I tried to explain quickly over loud music that I was caught on her skirt and not trying to be a dirty pirate the..... (starts with a B ) spun around like I was just the scum of the earth.

Now I know this has to happen all the time, but do all you ladies immediately think there's some nasty guy just trying to pull you close for snuggle times or something? I felt kinda bad about it but what was a drunk pirate to do?

Edited by Thequartermaster

Tis why I wear more proper period style attire for Ladies and not look like some Harem rejectee. Whether ye do something or not, ye gonna get spurned an' burned even if them ladies flaunt it. Twisted and sick says I. Not even piratey in my opinion.

As to the coins... no, they really shouldn't catch on anything. A rare occassion they might catch on a belt or baldric or button or something of the sort, but not fabric. Hair they catch on all too easily.

I'd ramble and belly ache more about this subject... but I won't.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I do not ware these things but the captain of the Marines on the Crew of the Archangel wears one like a baldric, he doesn't seem to catch anything he doesn't want to catch. lol

As to her reaction, please don't let her behavior keep you from trying to stop the next lass ...she may not want her coins and garb torn.

Thequartermaster,

Though I am sure Kate, Brig and/or Mae would be better to answer your belly dancer skirt question, let me just put in my two cents....

Keep in mind you were at a CON, which pretty much means pirate festivities and social drinking. Perhaps the woman wearing the Middle Eastern themed attire was greatly under the influence when this mishap occurred.

I am sure if she just gave you 30 seconds of your time she would have accepted your apology. People get stupid ...especially when they drink.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Thequartermaster,

Though I am sure Kate, Brig and/or Mae would be better to answer your belly dancer skirt question, let me just put in my two cents....

Keep in mind you were at a CON, which pretty much means pirate festivities and social drinking. Perhaps the woman wearing the Middle Eastern themed attire was greatly under the influence when this mishap occurred.

I am sure if she just gave you 30 seconds of your time she would have accepted your apology. People get stupid ...especially when they drink.

I don't think there should be any kind of "norm" with really any kind of pirate themed event. I really like that there are all types of faces (characters) and I don't want anyone to think I'm making fun of them. There were even vampire pirates at the con and I thought it was pretty cool.

I'm sure you're right and who knows, she may have been grabbed in the wrong way many times throughout her stay. Its just that if I had a hat that was six feet wide, I wouldnt be annoyed when people bumped into it lol.

I'm sure you're right and who knows, she may have been grabbed in the wrong way many times throughout her stay....

Its just that if I had a hat that was six feet wide, I wouldnt be annoyed when people bumped into it lol.

With that being said, you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. As as I stated before, if she couldn't take a single moment to listen to you and your kind words of apology...it's her lost...not yours.

Member of "The Forsaken"

With that being said, you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. As as I stated before, if she couldn't take a single moment to listen to you and your kind words of apology...it's her lost...not yours.

At least she got her Christmas goose early this year.. yaaaar :blink:

I agree wrong place wrong time. Me oldest wears one and has never to me knowledge caught it on any one. She does loose plenty of coins but that is from sitting on unsanded planks and/or the ground.

The girl in question was lucky ye even tried to apologize. You could have given a sharp slap to the arse and told her to get over it. :blink:

Bosun Red

Eh....I used to get caught on stuff all the time. As a general rule when doing a show, I didn't get that close to people. That being said....I have been in crowds and gotten caught on stuff and people. I did a show at Stagecoach (a crowded bar/restaurant) and embarrasingly enough, I got stuck on a viking. It happens. Hey, at least he got the coins and beads attached as a souvenier. :)

Dun worry about it. Some dancers are stuck up and just all grr-ish like that...maybe she was just having a crummy day...maybe she was a belly bunny and was upset about her costume possibly being marred (cause you know...perfection)...me? I woulda grinned and told you that if ye wanted my belt that bad, you shoulda asked. :blink:

Banner.jpg

Dun worry about it. Some dancers are stuck up and just all grr-ish like that...maybe she was just having a crummy day...maybe she was a belly bunny and was upset about her costume possibly being marred (cause you know...perfection)...me? I woulda grinned and told you that if ye wanted my belt that bad, you shoulda asked. :blink:

Yeah, like what Kate said, no worries luv. You didn't do anything wrong, she didn't need to be such a stuck up snot! I've had people bump into me, snag on things or whatever. It's all just a simple accident, no biggie. ;)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Tell her to get over it, and get over herself while she's at it. :blink: I snag on EVERYTHING when I wear coin scarves. In fact, when me and Mae wear 'em at the same time, we may as well be siamese twins.

I think it was one of the little hooks or whatever attaches the coin to the netting that did the catching.

I'm betting you're exactly right. Those are what give me trouble, and often leave part of the costume firmly attached to ANOTHER part of the costume...quite the dilemma mid-routine. If the coins are sewn directly to the cloth it's not so bad, but it can still happen.

Like Cheeky said...her loss, not yours. :) If it happens again, let us know...I've had practice putting them diva sorts back into their right mind.

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

Eh....I used to get caught on stuff all the time. As a general rule when doing a show, I didn't get that close to people. That being said....I have been in crowds and gotten caught on stuff and people. I did a show at Stagecoach (a crowded bar/restaurant) and embarrasingly enough, I got stuck on a viking. It happens. Hey, at least he got the coins and beads attached as a souvenier. :)

Dun worry about it. Some dancers are stuck up and just all grr-ish like that...maybe she was just having a crummy day...maybe she was a belly bunny and was upset about her costume possibly being marred (cause you know...perfection)...me? I woulda grinned and told you that if ye wanted my belt that bad, you shoulda asked. ;)

LOL got stuck on a Viking !! LOL would have loved a picture of that.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Dun worry about it. Some dancers are stuck up and just all grr-ish like that...maybe she was just having a crummy day...maybe she was a belly bunny and was upset about her costume possibly being marred (cause you know...perfection)...me? I woulda grinned and told you that if ye wanted my belt that bad, you shoulda asked. ;)

LOL got stuck on a Viking !! LOL would have loved a picture of that.

Sure, we'll bring our wedding photos next time we're down that way.... ;);)

Michael_banner.jpg

awww I love all you pirates. These are all good responses and one really funny PM response that was too dirty for public eyes. Hehe but shhhh I can't tell. ;)

edit:

I can say that the PM caused me to blow coffee on my monitor. Sepia tone for the win.

When I did dance years ago mind you I did get stuck all the time..felt like static cling let me tell you...As everyone here stated..at least if you wear the attire and know..you do get stuck and you laugh it off. She'll get over it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Someone should have pulled my pirate card lol.

Pull your Pirate Card?? We get cards?! What the h*ll!?? Where and when were we issued these 'said cards?"

Hmm..damn red tape...I bet mine somewhere between here and Key West!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Someone should have pulled my pirate card lol.

Pull your Pirate Card?? We get cards?! What the h*ll!?? Where and when were we issued these 'said cards?"

Hmm..damn red tape...I bet mine somewhere between here and Key West!

It's kind of like a drivers license, except its a license for the seas. In order to actually be a pirate you must be holding said Pirate Card. In the event that anyone does something considered UN-Pirate that card must be surrendered upon demand of any other Card carrier. The card must be returned once a piratey act that is deemed worthy enough to make up for or a lesson be learned if there is a lack of pirate ventures.

these cards also have an alphanumeric coding that limits ones ability. From rum runner to city sacker as issued by the BBB (better buccaneering bureau)

Maybe I should just photoshop some of them for the whole pub lol.

The line starts behind me! I want one! One of my favorite sayings when seeing a newbie in a "Plastic Jack" halloween outfit is "Their Pirate License is still warm" of course it's whispered amongst friends, as we welcome all enthusiasts and my first pirate outfit.......well... was not like it is now! lol.

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.