Luna updates

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johnny tarr we would love to have the help and company. Its not every day a project like this is undertaken and Syren was nice enough to set this area up so we could share the venture with folks. We're going to keep this as updated as we can with Luna and our other ventures so folks can see what goes into owning and building a boat.

the shipwright has skills oh weary one.....

sides look what happened with the transom. we made the design look like what we had mocked up. plus you found that missing inch last week... so.........

edit* no problem gunner. there are six sets out and one happens to travel to events, plus the shipwright will be there to explain. the rest of us just make sawdust and toothpicks then glue em into something useful.

double edit* tarrr- i've completed the most important part of the ship anyhow. my hammoc is done- i'm laying seige to my spot thursday.

I like shipbuilding best that way - I rebuild the transom kinda close to what the vision was then the shipwright draws what I built! Much easier than building what he draws! :huh:

It's always helpful to get that extra inch - could make a big difference in certain situations.

Congrats. on the hammoc - now you have to make one that'll fit me and find a spot to hang it!

Make sawdust & toothpicks? Then glue them into something useful?? You forgot to mention the chewing gum and spit I used to hold the cedar planks in place and the duct tape and wire ties I use to keep the band saw going!

good lord thats one heck of a bow sprit! that thing should turn on a bloody dime, cant wait to see her sail!

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Mr. Tignor- get yer arse in gear!! Paperwork will be at the festival (you do not have to be a Blackbeard Crew member to join up!) work days are sundays and mondays, catch a ride up with someone. we take turns making lunch.

edit* just came off the site and new pics have been added. clicking on a picture will open up a new gallery. http://www.colonialseaport.org/lunagallery.html

Edited by bbcddutchman

its not all serious work around the yard

AngelMay232009018.jpg

sometimes we get to play with our new toys

AngelMay232009019.jpg

and then we rest. the first hammoc to go aboard

AngelMay232009022.jpg

edit* some questions have come up about the gun. Its one of the Vicars and is 4 ft long. The carriage is made of 2 1/4 oak and based on a modified version off of the H.M.S. Victory. It's modified due to height restrictions to fit under the rails of Luna. I could not go higher that 23 inches. As she sits in the pictures the tip of the barrel is at 22. I promised Cascabel I would post the construction process, which I'll do when we settle down from the festival.

Edited by bbcddutchman

• 3 weeks later...

went well. the thieves market brought us some pennies, then there was a cut from the crew. I don't have an exact figure but its enough to pay for a case of screws and keep the architect goin a bit longer.

*edit, the membership drive did yield a few new folks and I was quite pleased to see some folks leaving out sunday and monday wearing seaport hats and shirts.

Edited by bbcddutchman

went well. the thieves market brought us some pennies, then there was a cut from the crew. I don't have an exact figure but its enough to pay for a case of screws and keep the architect goin a bit longer.

*edit, the membership drive did yield a few new folks and I was quite pleased to see some folks leaving out sunday and monday wearing seaport hats and shirts.

I've got some doubloons coming your way from the sale of my books, Dutch. Maybe enough for a second case of screws!

I've got some doubloons coming your way from the sale of my books, Dutch. Maybe enough for a second case of screws!

Is "LookingGlass" the author of the Rum Cake book? (and presumably the maker oif the freaking awesome rum cakes as well?) I loved those rum cakes soooo much I bought the book.... Now if I can only work up the courage to try and make one of those... :unsure:

Michael_banner.jpg

Ooops... My appologies LookingGlass!

Thanks for clearing that up Dutch, I knew rum cake lady went as Hatchet Meg, but so many people here post as names different from what they use, so I just wasn't sure. Regardless, glad to hear that things are going well with Luna!

Michael_banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good,especially since you aren't letting Dutch take any more pictures... hopefully we shall stop by on Sunday with Momma and Poppa... see ye all then.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

hey I may not take the best pictures, but at least I know that's the PORT, not starboard sheErline.

Incidentally, our Paypal account will be up soon so we'll shamelessly market our membership opportunities as well as our first cumulative effort CD shortly thanks to Willoughby.

Edited by bbcddutchman

hey I may not take the best pictures, but at least I know that's the PORT[/b, not starboard sheErline.

Actually yer both wrong, that would be larboard... :P

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I hadn't gotten around to seeing those lines before. She definitely looks a little canvas heavy on the bow, unless you plan on having a ringtail option as well. Proportionally, it seems as if the jibboom should end about where the bowsprit does (again, without further sail area aft). How high will that bow be above the water? Sticking that far out, it seems that the spars would be in danger during any sort of heavy seas. She'd also look great with a square tops'l, but I'm partial to any boat with at least one square sail. She's looking great and good luck! Wish I was around to help out.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg