'Corsair'

he 'corsair' was the term used for the privateers and pirates who operated in the Mediterranean. The most famous corsairs were those of the Barbary Coast of North Africa who were authorized by their governments to attack the shipping of Christian countries.

Interestingly enough, if they captured a Christian ship, (the Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same God)A sailor could "convert".... and then become a Corsair... 10- 20 per cent to the Government, and they kinda left you alone... Most Sailors weren't the most "pious" people around, and the choice of rotting in a jail vs. going Corsair.... well......(I wish I could remember where I found the account of someone complaining about how sinful the ex-Christian Corsairs were.... something about them drinking and having women dancing around....

When I moved back to California from Tennessee, I re-joined the SCA, and instead of doing 4th Century Pick, I went Corsair, (everyone else locally were Arabian... belly dancers and such) Hey, fun baggy trousers (the Zouaves (sp) in the American Civil War wore them....) a tunic/shirt, short vest and a turban wrapped around a fez.... quite dashing.... (just wish I had a photo to show it...)

But it is an interesting time period... maybe this should be moved to TWILL, where it could be discussed in detail....

From the late 11th century, Christians and Muslims fought for control of the Mediterranean Sea and the countries around it. The Muslim sea raiders became known as teh Barbary corsairs. Many of the Captured Christians were used to 'row' on Muslim Galleys. Muslim Galleys were fast, sleek Barbary ships powered by huge numbers of slaves. They could only spend a short time at sea, since food and water supplies ran out quickly. the ship's captain, or "rais," navigated teh ship. Captured wealthy Christian knights would be held for ransoom. The poorer captives were forced to row teh Barbary galleys day and night and then sold as slaves.

'Feared Brothers' Europeans called them the "Barbarossa Brothers" because of their red beards. Kheir-ed-Kin and Aruj were great Muslim naval heroes in the 1500s. They made their fortunes capturing the Pope's galleys, Spanish warships, and trading ships.

he 'corsair' was the term used for the privateers and pirates who operated in the Mediterranean. The most famous corsairs were those of the Barbary Coast of North Africa who were authorized by their governments to attack the shipping of Christian countries.

Interestingly enough, if they captured a Christian ship, (the Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same God)A sailor could "convert".... and then become a Corsair... 10- 20 per cent to the Government, and they kinda left you alone... Most Sailors weren't the most "pious" people around, and the choice of rotting in a jail vs. going Corsair.... well......(I wish I could remember where I found the account of someone complaining about how sinful the ex-Christian Corsairs were.... something about them drinking and having women dancing around....

But it is an interesting time period... maybe this should be moved to TWILL, where it could be discussed in detail....

Tis referred to as Turning Turk, Pat and it could afford you with a more pleasant captivity and certain "rights" if you were a white slave in an Islam country. And please don't try telling a devout Muslim, Christian or Jew, they worship the same God... you'll be in for one hell of a debate... :o

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Originally designed as a carrier-based fighter, the Corsair's difficult handling and landing characteristics caused the Navy to rely on the Grumman Hellcat instead. The Marine Corps benefited from this policy change, and its land-based units eagerly adopted the "Bent-wing Bird." The famous Jolly Rogers, the Navy's VF-17, also flew the Corsair during its tour in the Solomons. Late in the war, as the handling problems were resolved, both Marine and Navy pilots operated F4U's from carrier decks.

It was the British that tamed the Corsair and made it carrier capable, all by installing a 5 cent piece of wire to hold down a vent while landing. The US soon followed and Corsairs were deployed fleet wide.

The Corsair first fighter plane of the US Navy to exceed 400 mph in level flight.

No wonder the pirates in the 1500's were so hard to control in the Med. Think how having an aircraft gave the pirates an advantage!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

The 'corsair' was the term used for the privateers and pirates who operated in the Mediterranean. The most famous corsairs were those of the Barbary Coast of North Africa who were authorized by their governments to attack the shipping of Christian countries. http://www.cranespost.com/main.sc

Corsairs was also a term used in the 1500 and 1600's for French pirates/privateers.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

After a Barbary galley rammed the side of a Christian ship, about 100 janissaries -well trained Muslim soldiers- stormed aboard and overpowered the crew.

And of course the other side 'The Maltese Revenge' took place

Oh and a tid bit on "Turned Turk" mentioned earlier: Some European pirates, such as Sir Francis Verney, joined the Barbary corsairs on their raids to Ireland and Iceland.