Could use some ideas and advice

Red-Handed Jill

I'm looking for ideas about meals to cook in Dutch ovens - that are vegetarian (and by vegetarian I mean truly vegetarian - no chicken or fish.) I have a Dutch oven but as of yet haven't cooked anything in it yet and would really appreciate any ideas and advice you could give me.

RHJMap.jpg

<h2 align="center">Almost any dish you can make at home you can make in your dutch oven with minor adaptations

</h2><h2 align="center">

</h2><h2 align="center">

</h2><h2 align="center">Zucchini Cheese Bake</h2> 3 Tbs. unsalted butter 3 roma tomatoes; chopped 1 Tbs. olive oil 1 large green bell pepper; chopped 2 large zucchini; chopped dried italian seasoning to taste 1 large white onion; chopped salt and pepper to taste 3 cloves garlic; minced 12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 16-18 briquettes bottom until hot. To hot oven add butter and olive oil to melt butter. Add zucchini, onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes until onion turns golden brown. Stir in tomatoes and bell pepper. Season with italian seasoning and additional salt and pepper to taste. Top vegetables with cheese then cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender and cheese is bubbly.

Serves: 4-6

I use one all the time. Have for years. Don't have any recipes though. I just toss whatever meat I happen to have, along with veggies, maybe rice or potatoes, a little broth, herbs & spices, and shove it in the oven. I think it's kinda like making stew or soup only you do it slow in the oven instead of on top of the stove. Maybe think Crock Pot, only a few hours instead of an all day thing?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

One of the greatest breakfasts of all time--and a period correct one, to boot--is Indian Pudding. There are many recipes, but all call for milk, cornmeal, molasses, spices and butter (some call for eggs, but those might not be on your menu). It is wonderful for slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow cooking, so a Dutch Oven is ideal, especially if you can leave it overnight with just a bit of heat all around. Delicious, and enough iron to fortify any vegetarian's blood.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I don't know if you are looking for PC or not (and whether this is or not I do not know but it could be), but one of my favorite veg/vegan recipes is tofu curry, which I cook in my dutch oven or slow cooker:

Ingredients:

"Curry powder"- a good handful

(turmeric, cumin, white pepper, black pepper...)

Coconut milk, 2 cans

brick o tofu (cut into little cubes)

Onion

Garlic to taste

salt and pepper

A few tablespoons of flour

Coconut or other oil, enough to coat the bottom of your pot

Rice to serve

1. mix flour, a little of the curry powder, salt and pepper together and coat the tofu cubes

2. Heat oil and fry tofu until slightly crisp and golden

3. Add Garlic and onion, cook until soft

4. add coconut milk and spices to taste, season with salt and pepper

5. Let cook till all the flavors are blended and yummy.

6. Serve over hot rice

*you can add water or veggie stock if it gets too thick.

I think that's it.

But also, you can pretty much use any veggie stew recipe in the dutch oven, I know I do- . Chillies are great too. (if you want any recipes let me know, I have stacks of veggie and vegan cookbooks =) )

As for cooking outside, you could try putting the dutch oven into coals or the embers and just leave it (but make sure you keep it hot) those pots usually hold heat really well, so once you do the initial cooking on the fire you should be good to go.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I just found a helpful cookbook on Amazon-- it's not vegetarian mind you, not period recipes-- but has some terrific "Helpful Hints" for seasoning, cleaning, & cooking w/a dutch oven. It's called 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven ... sounds interesting, eh?! <_< Some of the recipes sound great, & if you look inside the book, you can even read those helpful hints without buying the book. I think I'm still gonna get it tho!

You're most welcome! :( From what I can see, even tho I own a couple cast iron dutch ovens; one w/legs even, neither of mine has a lid that would hold coals on it very well--they're both somewhat sloped. Coals on top appear to be important for even & timely cooking. I have seen other dutch ovens that actually have a flat lid & probably a 1" rim around the edge to keep the coals on. Guess I'll be looking for either another oven, or extra lids as my ovens are 2 different sizes. Anyone have other suggestions for this? :rolleyes:

You're most welcome! :wub: From what I can see, even tho I own a couple cast iron dutch ovens; one w/legs even, neither of mine has a lid that would hold coals on it very well--they're both somewhat sloped. Coals on top appear to be important for even & timely cooking. I have seen other dutch ovens that actually have a flat lid & probably a 1" rim around the edge to keep the coals on. Guess I'll be looking for either another oven, or extra lids as my ovens are 2 different sizes. Anyone have other suggestions for this? :blink:

Try the second hand stores, that's where I get a lot of my cast iron. You can also use a ceramic or metal dinner plate over the top, but it has to be able to withstand the heat. or you could probably put a cast iron skillet over the top, but I've never tried that.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle