17th Century Cheesecake

Black Syren

Ingredients

shortcrust pastry (or pre-made shortcrust pie shell - 9 inch diameter)

1/2 lb cheese curds

3 tablespoons rose water

2 tablespoons currants

3 egg yolks

3 ounces butter

3 tablespoons sugar

nutmeg, grated (to taste)

mace (optional)

Directions

1NB Ricotta cheese can be used in place of cheese curd or you can make your own cheese curd very easily.

2Prepare a deep short-crust pastry shell (9-10 inches across) and bake it blind for 10-15 minutes in a hot oven.

3Remove from oven and allow to cool.

4(Or have your pre-made pastry shell waiting.) Place the cheese curd and softened butter in a bowl and blend well.

5Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating them well into the mixture.

6Add the rosewater, sugar, currants and nutmeg to the mixture and beat in well.

7Pour the filling into the cooled pastry case and bake in a moderate oven (gas Mark 4, 180C or 350F) for 30-45 minutes. (Warning- once the mixture is poured into the pie shell, it should be baked straight away. Otherwise it will start to separate and become oily and not cook well.)(The cheesecake should have risen a little and be a golden color.).

8Lift from oven and lightly dust with ground mace (if desired).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

ahhhhhh,

syren ye evil lass, just when i thought i had beaten my swwet tooth into submission.....laughs sounds great. add a wee bit of dark chocolate and it will be just grand.

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Syren, you are an evil, evil evil evil woman and god knows I loves ye fer it. Cheesecake is a major downfall of mine. Now you have given me a recipe for it!!!!!! Give me cheesecake and I'll do anything....well almost.....who am I kidding.....anything.....almost.....probably.......

Damn I'm in the soup now B)

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

No worries Animal..I have a sTRONG weakness for cheesecake myself...Would do just about anything for it..within reason of course..otherwise I just wait till all is quiet and steal it..*Snickers*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Oh yummy, that sounds easy enough. I thinks I am going to make it for Easter, and maybe for my class.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Oh boy... I did a test run with that cheesecake... I think I messed it up and decided I don't like rose water. It was a total disaster! I used the ricotta cheese as that was what was available, and only half the recommended amount of rose water...

Anyone have any suggestions on a rose water substitution? or do we think it could just be left out?

And where can I find cheese curds? I used to get them through a factory in upstate NY, but I can't find them around here except at festivals and farmers markets... :-/

Update (4/16):

Well, I tried the cake again, leaving out the rose water and adding a splash of vanilla and almond extract and it came out great, it was a big hit in my class (and the security guys that let me in with swords). And it didn't get curdly this time either. =) Thanks again for posting the recipe.

Edited by LadyBrower

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...