Bread Pudding

Poopdeck Pappy

I used to work at Fraunces' Tavern in New York City, just a few doors down from Captain Kidd's old digs. They made a bread pudding with whiskey sauce that would make an archbishop kick a hole in a stained glass window. Oh, what bliss it was...

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

There's a restaurant overlooking the bay at Bandon, OR, called the Crow's Nest. They have killer steamer clams, and the most amazing bread pudding with hot rum sauce and raisins that I have ever eaten. And bread pudding is one of my two favorite desserts. Tapioca being the first (but it has to be home made, not that nasty, rubber, fish-eye stuff you get in restaurants or at the store).

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Mmmmm....

Aaayyyeeee.. tis VERY good. :) Well, if it's done right. Had some FABULOUS bread pudding compliments of a Church who had left overs at the end of the day during Spirit of Vincennes a few years ago. Mmmmmm, oh, God, was it GOOOOOOD!

I've a couple recipes and need to give it a go sometime. Haven't been able to do that yet though. Someday.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Nice thing about this bread pudding ...no calories.

Now, those of you who are craving bread pudding but fear the overindulgence I have a few suggestions that may help:

1) If you are like me, tell yourself that you will not have bread pudding until you make your own. It will never happen.

2) If you are the sort that actually uses your kitchen then tell yourself that you will not have bread pudding until you are at a resteraunt that has tableclothes.

3) If one or two do not work tell yourself that you will not have bread pudding unless someone who's bank balance is big enough to pay for your personal trainer pays for it.

If one, or any combination, of the above works for you ...conratulations you are likely having a great time and you will enjoy the evening, bread pudding and all! As to the person with the bank balance ...do they have a brother?

Edited by Silkie McDonough

There's a restaurant overlooking the bay at Bandon, OR, called the Crow's Nest. They have killer steamer clams, and the most amazing bread pudding with hot rum sauce and raisins that I have ever eaten. And bread pudding is one of my two favorite desserts. Tapioca being the first (but it has to be home made, not that nasty, rubber, fish-eye stuff you get in restaurants or at the store).

That sounds like a great lunch steamers and bread pudding, now I'm getting hungry.

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL

The recipe I have is my grandmothers. It is awesome. But, since she didn't believe in booze of any kind, I have to add the rum sauce with raisin. ;)

You know, I haven't made it in a long time....hmmmmmm.....maybe this weekend. It's going to be cold and rainy, and bread pudding is the ultimate comfort food!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

So Ransom...are you willing to share 'said' recipe of your grandmother's. And with the 'amended' rum sauce you've added?

(Lilly who is probably regretting even asking for such a thing...she' got to loose 40 pounds by June)!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

40 LBS !!! Where are you hiding it?

Let me dig through my recipe box. It's been a while since I've made the stuff (like four or five years or longer). I'll PM it to you. ;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

BTW: ever try doughnut bread pudding?

OMG! You're the worst of the lot! I can't imagine how wonderful that must taste.

Gosh, I have to stop thinking about food and get my mind on something else.....

SideNote: Ooops!

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

OMG! You're the worst of the lot!

Flattery will get you everywhere!

But back to bread pudding. It is a great way to use up old doughnuts, and you don't have to add any extra sugar!

I recommend a well balance mixed of the raised and cake variety, with a few Devil's Food thrown in for good measure and contrast.

Oh! And try a bit of saffron in the custard...

Edited by Quartermaster James

Three cheers for bread pudding

breadpudding.jpg

With that much topping it be startin to look like a spotted dick.

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

• 2 weeks later...

I just had this at an Easter brunch. They were calling it oven-baked French toast, but it sure tasted like a type of bread pudding to me. It was killer good!!! Which was why I asked for, and got, the recipe.

OVEN FRENCH TOAST

1 12 oz loaf of thick sliced French bread

8 large eggs

2 cups milk

2 cups half & half

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp mace

Heavily butter a 13x9x2 pan. Fill pan with bread slices within 1 inch from top. Set aside. In a blender, mix eggs, milk, half & half, vanilla and spices. Pour over bread. cover, and refrigerate over night. Just before baking, make the topping and spread over the top of pudding. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 50 minutes, or until puffed up a bit.

TOPPING

3/4 cup soft butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

3 T dark corn syrup

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

(You could add a bit of rum to this, and it would be yummy! Just not too much, or it would make the topping runny)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg