TATTOOS

Kuthroat Kim

Anyone have a Piratey or some kind of nautical tattoo? I be thinkin of gettin a nautical star on me back. Does anyone know if there be a real meaning behind nautical stars? :P

Aside from navigating by them I don't know another meaning.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

me believes that thar nautical star was, without a doubt, navigation from a compass, but other than that.. i'll be dumbfounded. i have some pretty savvy tattoo's of pirates and nautical symbols, and about two ships. if ye'd like to feast yer deadlights upon them, set said toward me ship, mate! imadrunkenpirate@pyracy.com

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the answer to me own question! Here it be (if anyone is interested)

the common nautical star tattoo that most are familiar with (red and black) has a counter part that is green and black. the colour red is used to represent the port side (left) and green is used to represent the starboard (right.)

Nautical stars were first tattooed on early sailors because they relied on the stars to find their way, therefore they always had a star to be with them and always knew where they were going in their own lives and at sea. It was kind of a sense of security and guidance.

Take what you can, give nothing back.

does anyone know where to find some designs of the compass rose? i'm looking to get one on the back of my calf with the chain of caribbean islands going down the outside of calf....

looking for plunder to pay for tattoo also! lol

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

I be confused as well, if it be a compas star, here be some good info

http://www.gisnet.com/notebook/comprose.html

Aye, that pic on th' site there, very simular to wot I used fer my compass rose tattoo.... I'll hafta get a goode pic of it n' post it...ya can kinda see it on my members page, tis on my right shoulder...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

well ifin you ad been to the reynolds isle or neer the christian settle ment of samoa then mabey cap'n cook be the one showin the tribal (full Body) tattoo that thems likin. As fer me I got the shark in my blood and his fin is the only thin you'll be seein on me starbord shoulder.

Anyone have a Piratey or some kind of nautical tattoo? I be thinkin of gettin a nautical star on me back. Does anyone know if there be a real meaning behind nautical stars?  :lol:

Aye just ran across a bit that may answer yer question.

Maritime History FAQ

Aye hope it helps. :P

Cordially,

Sir Jewels Cole

secondflag.gif

"In casa di ladri non ci si ruba." trans. "There is honour among thieves."

Aye just ran across a bit that may answer yer question.

Maritime History FAQ

Aye hope it helps.  B)

Thanks! I ran across that earlier meself. Great info. and I love the meaning behind it. When I get the tattoo, I'll be showin you a pic.

Glad aye could help lass. B)

Cordially,

Sir Jewels Cole

secondflag.gif

"In casa di ladri non ci si ruba." trans. "There is honour among thieves."

yar, i be a PROFESSIONAL tattooer by trade, and i says ye should stay away from the nautical star tattoos and find something a little less played out....

in plain english:

every emo kid who's old enough to get tattooed has been getting these so called "sailor jerry tattoos"

sailor jerry, while a good tattooer in his day, was quite a racist prick.

most of his designs are timeless though, and people have been flocking to them by the buttload.

a compass rose would definitely be more original, and you're less likely to run into a hundreds of other people at the pub with the same tattoo.

personally, MY fave traditional sailor tattoos are a propeller on each butt cheek(to get your ass home!), and a rooster on one foot and a pig on the other.

sailors tattoos were fraught with superstition, symbolism, and sometimes blind patriotism.

usually it all boiled down to, "war sucks, i love my country, and get me home safe and sound."

death by miss adventure...

Thanks Miss Adventure for that bit o' info about the nautical stars...I too have noticed how popular they are, but since I still liked them I decided I didnt care. And I thought it was cool that I would actually somewhat know the meaning of the stars ( I liked the idea of them guiding you, etc.)

But since you say Sailor Jerry was racist that DOES change my opinion a bit. You've given me a lot to think about, and I'm going to do more research before making my final decision.

You're right that the compass rose might be a better choice, since I've never seen anyone with one before.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

You said that you're a tattoo artist...where do you work?

Take what you can, give nothing back.

Don't have any tattoos meself, but I liked this info page

Sailors tattoos

Ok not exactly pirates tattoos... but then a sailor is a sailor - whatever he happens to do on the oceans!

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

William Blake (Proverbs of Hell , (1790))

every emo kid who's old enough to get tattooed has been getting these so called "sailor jerry tattoos"

sailor jerry, while a good tattooer in his day, was quite a racist prick.

I don't much care 'bout opinions concernin' Jerry's personal life. Did you know him personally???..Me Pa did, 'is opinions were a bit different than yours. Of course, me Pa was a WWII redneck just like Jerry, you needed to be to stay alive..Methinks I would have rather had one of Jerry's tats than one of Hitlers... I've an antique mirror with some of his flashes on them, and with it's old patina, the flashes are even better!..If you are lucky enuff to have any of your designs stand the test of time, I will honor your style, also!

(Yes, I am predjuced, as I wake up to two of Jerry's sharks every morn!)

tat1.jpg

nice work there!

your dad was friends with sailor jerry?

that's cool, as i said, he was a great artist, and his designs have stood the test of time---

i have quite a few sailor jerry designs gracing my body as well...that doesn't change the fact that he was racist, which may have been accepted back then, but is never going to be ok with me.

Gotta take the good with the bad though, and his contributions to the world of tattooing make up for it.

My dad, of all people, says some pretty f*cked up things occasionally, and my best response is dead silence.

part of being in the field i'm in involves researching the history of those who came before me..

some guy came in the other day asing for the "straight-edge"star(as in straight edge lifestyle, no drinking, smoking, drugs, sex,etc.), and we were all confused until we figured out that he meant a nautical star. YIPES! When did THAT happen?!?!

the sailor jerry craze tho is very similar to the hipsters sporting overpriced Von Dutch apparel without having any idea who Von Dutch was. I have heard some really crazy theories, none of which come close to the truth which is that he was the father of modern pin-striping.

i have worked at Timeless Tattoo in Atlanta for nearly 8 years, and am moving back to chicago in a month...not sure where i'll be working yet, but i'll keep you posted...

:huh:

death by miss adventure...

Let me just say, with all candor, that what I've noticed the most about straightedge and emo kids (and noise and math rock kids, too, for that matter. And the 'working class' oi kids) is this: They think they know what's real, they think they know what's better, and so they can appropriate old ideas and pretend those ideas are their own.

Now, I'm leery of joiners, and people who adhere to a strict look, play the cool game, and choose their friends according to these tropes. Of course, we all do that, usually younger than older. I've done it, and I confess I love the pirate look. But I acknowledge where I came from, don't create a false back story to match what I wish I was like, and choose my friends on how well I get along with them. My best friends and I don't like the same movies, music, politicians or religions, but we have the same sense of humor.

Aw, I don't even know what I'm talking about. My sciatic is acting up again. Let's talk about tattoos.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

You're right that the compass rose might be a better choice, since I've never seen anyone with one before. 

Aye Lass,

I have a compass rose on me right shoulder, theres a bad pic of me/it on me page here, click on me name ta see... (tis a bad pic that was took while I was in Hawai'i...)

Took me almost a year ta hash out what an' how I wanted it...

So, now ye know someone wot has a compass rose Tattoo... :huh:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org