Cannon poll

Still getting started with my first cannon, and thought I would look for some input  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How important is the bang?

• I don't care about the bang
    • I want a big loud bang
    • I would rather have something that isn't that loud
  2. 2. How often do you plan on firing your cannon

• I just want it to look pretty and don't plan on firing it
    • Only at events
    • Every chance I get
    • Once in a while around friends
  3. 3. What size cannon interests you?

• The bigger the better
    • Something I can move by myself
    • Something that is small enough to pick up and carry with one hand
    • I don't care about size, I want it to be full size not a scaled down model
    • I want to own my own battery with many different cannons
  4. 4. Is it important to be historically accurate?

• Something that looks like a cannon is fine with me
    • I want my cannon to be as accurate as possible
    • A scaled down cannon that is close to original is fine
    • I don't want a replica I want the original
    • I want my cannon very shiny and polished
    • I prefer the bronze to look old and original
  5. 5. What do you plan to fire from your cannon?

• Nothing, I don't plan to fire it
    • Just blanks
    • Just blanks, but would like it to be able to fire a ball
    • I want to take down walls with my cannon
    • It would be really cool to be able to safely launch something like a tennis ball, golf ball, or volleyball
  6. 6. What material would you like your cannon made out of?

• Bronze even though it is more expensive
    • Iron to save the cost.
    • Bronze and it must be lined with a steel liner
  7. 7. Would you like a custom built cannon?

• No, something common is fine
    • Yes, I want a true 1 of a kind replica
    • Something common but able to be personalized
  8. 8. How important is cost?

• I never thought I could afford any cannon
    • The sky is the limit
    • 0-200
    • 200-500
    • 500-1000
    • 1000-2000
    • 2000-3000
    • Over 3000

• 1 month later...

Ahoy Maties,

As you be interested in making cannon, right at the time I be in need of one. I run an Olde Tyme Pirate Photo Studio in St Augustine, FL. I want to build a set to look like the inside of a gun deck to a tallship. I am in need a realistic looking gun, probably a 9 pounder (about 5.5 feet long) on a naval carriage. It does not have to fire or be made of metal, as I would need to move it around by myself many times during the day. It does need to be strong enough to allow a few people to sit on it. I also need all the props of a gun deck such as the blocks, rammer, sponger, wormer, cannon balls, grapeshot, buckets, etc. My budget for all of this is about $1000, which is that much I know, but still alot to spend in this economy. If any of you have good ideas let me know.

Yes I know about the replica cannon form Loyalist Arms, but they do not carry it anymore.

Tiger Lee, creator of the Hot Pirate Babe Calendar

Ahoy Maties,

As you be interested in making cannon, right at the time I be in need of one. I run an Olde Tyme Pirate Photo Studio in St Augustine, FL. I want to build a set to look like the inside of a gun deck to a tallship. I am in need a realistic looking gun, probably a 9 pounder (about 5.5 feet long) on a naval carriage. It does not have to fire or be made of metal, as I would need to move it around by myself many times during the day. It does need to be strong enough to allow a few people to sit on it. I also need all the props of a gun deck such as the blocks, rammer, sponger, wormer, cannon balls, grapeshot, buckets, etc. My budget for all of this is about $1000, which is that much I know, but still alot to spend in this economy. If any of you have good ideas let me know.

Yes I know about the replica cannon form Loyalist Arms, but they do not carry it anymore.

Tiger Lee, creator of the Hot Pirate Babe Calendar

Unfortunatly everything I am making is fully functional. There are some big fiberglass cannons up the street from me but they are a fair bit bigger than what you are looking for and do not have a carriage or any implements. Last I checked it was $995 for just the barrel

id.jpg

I am also aware of the Largo Cargo 10 foot cannon, which is too big for my space. They did tell me that they will be working on a 8 foot gun next year, which doesn't work with my time frame. If you know of any one else me me know. I also know of greatguns.org which is too big or small and too expensive for my budget.

Tiger

I am also aware of the Largo Cargo 10 foot cannon, which is too big for my space. They did tell me that they will be working on a 8 foot gun next year, which doesn't work with my time frame. If you know of any one else me me know. I also know of greatguns.org which is too big or small and too expensive for my budget.

Tiger

Its not too difficult to mock up a larger fake barrel out of PVC/Foam, Fiberglass or cement. The problem comes with everything else that you want for it. All of that stuff for a gun that size is way out of your budget if you want it to look good

id.jpg

Do yar know of anyone who could be able to mock out a fiberglass cannon barrow? I know a local black smith who could make me some of the smaller items.

Tiger

Tiger

Its not too difficult to mock up a larger fake barrel out of PVC/Foam, Fiberglass or cement. The problem comes with everything else that you want for it. All of that stuff for a gun that size is way out of your budget if you want it to look good