August 7th, 8th & 9th, 2009: Pirates of Paynetown

Black Syren

as of right now, we are planning to use the fly for outside sleeping... that's where i will be so the missus and the little 'uns can sleep under better shelter... since the fly is fairly goodsized, i'm sure that tartan jack can find a corner or two to pass out in :)

Just as long as no one passes out in our tent without asking first. (again)

Mark

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey historyfanatic, what do you recommend for hotels nearby?

The nearest town is Bloomington, Indiana. There are a lot of places to stay there. See Bloomington hotels/motels. Anything near Hwy 446 or on the east side of town will be within about 15-20 minutes of the event. There are lots of good places to eat in Bloomington and the nightlife is impressive. Of course, it won't compare to the fun we usually have on Saturday night at Paynetown! :P

There are also a number of really awesome bed and breakfast places as well as cabin rentals that are pretty close to the event site.

They are listed here: Bed and Breakfast/Cabin Rental

If you need more information about the Bloomington area, go to www.visitbloomington.com

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

This may be more to the taste of the Pyratical sort... :P This is, however, a bit of a drive from the event... (about 30+ minutes) Fairly short by boat though, but not if you're rowing... lol!

Fourwinds Resort & Marina

9301 S. Fairfax Road

Bloomington, IN 47401

Contact Name: Jeff Hammond

Toll-Free: 800-824-2628

Phone: 812-824-2628

Indiana's only tropical resort- that's right, TROPICAL!

The rhythmic sounds of Lake Monroe, awesome views of the rolling hills of Southern Indiana and a Caribbean feel welcome you at this lakeside resort. Fourwinds Resort is a full-service facility featuring eats, treats, a fun atmosphere and friendly service - for 2 or 200.

Get the most out of your Fourwinds experience by enjoying a sandwich in the lounge, a steak in the dining room, a cruise on the lake, a dip in the heated indoor/outdoor pool, sauna or hot tub; a game of tennis, basketball, miniature golf or sand volleyball.

The Fourwinds . . . where smiles, cool breezes and shimmering waters await!

Here is the backroad way to get from the resort to the Paynetown State Recreation Area: Mapquest: Four Winds to Paynetown

The hotel's website is: www.fourwindsresort.com

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

does that mean you will be in attendance, mission ??

Yes. And I'm bringing as much medical gear as I can fit in the hot rod. :P

"This is ridiculous."

"What are we gonna do?"

"... Road trip."

as of right now, we are planning to use the fly for outside sleeping... that's where i will be so the missus and the little 'uns can sleep under better shelter...

Does this mean my pal Grace is coming? I am nearly finished with another edition of the Baby Lion website about our recent visit to Honduras. (I hope it has some educational value for her. Mostly it's just silly.)

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hey historyfanatic, what do you recommend for hotels nearby?

The nearest town is Bloomington, Indiana. There are a lot of places to stay there. See Bloomington hotels/motels. Anything near Hwy 446 or on the east side of town will be within about 15-20 minutes of the event. There are lots of good places to eat in Bloomington and the nightlife is impressive. Of course, it won't compare to the fun we usually have on Saturday night at Paynetown! :P

Yeah, it's more of a personal preference thing for me. I'll be spending most of my time at the site. (I wish it was like PIP and I could ride my bike to the site.)

Thanks for all the info!

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

Yeah, it's more of a personal preference thing for me. I'll be spending most of my time at the site. (I wish it was like PIP and I could ride my bike to the site.)

Thanks for all the info!

No problem! And I completely understand. I have a lot of friends who hit the hotels for health reasons, or because they don't do well with heat or bugs, some just can't get a good night's sleep out of their usual element... I'll be doing it by the end of the season as the wife is expecting and I don't think she'll be sleeping in the tent much longer... I'm just glad you're gonna come! Sounds like a long haul. How far away are you?

Oh, and do me a favor... When you check in, be sure to tell the hotel manager that you're in town for Pirates of Paynetown... I'm really trying hard to get the local CVB on board to help, but they are funded by hotel taxes and they "claim" that with the event being in a state park with a public campground, they don't get any benefit from it... So be sure to let the hotel know why you are patronizing their location...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

wooooooooo hooooooooooo!!

know i know micheal and kate and mission!!

and i cant wait to see and meet everyone else......

mission -- you bring the medical equipment!!!

i just told grace and she said " really? really? mission is going to be there??? really?"....and she knows just where her fan and period appropriate dolly are!! {now i get to make her pockets to go under her skirts}--and the boys are already teasing her saying " we saw mission in OHIO ! HA HA! and kate and micheal!! HA HA!"

and, i am not going to keep some of our little people under a tent--we have one child who ESCAPES{ zack on crack as i call him on occasion} ... so he will be in the rv with me and those who prefer to sleep and not become mosquito fodder during the night!!

i promise to bring monster cookies and all my cooking skills.....and to stuff all of your littel gizzards full to overflowing!! LOL!!

Ok, I talked to the Bloomington CVB and the best (closest) options for hotels near Paynetown SRA are:

A Summerhouse Inn

4501 E. Third St.

www.asummerhouseinn.com

(this property prides themselves on being extremely family-friendly)

Century Suites

300 SR 446 <----FYI, This is the road that the Paynetown SRA site is on!

www.centurysuites.com

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Aw, shucks. You guys make me blush. I had to come; I heard Mark needed a gunner for he mighty ocean-going galleon. And now that I know Grace is going to be there...well!

BTW, I will probably take Friday off to make the trip because it's 5+ hours without have to run around and play in the hot rod and I don't want to miss the opportunity to do that. Plus I want to get the lay of the land for the site. Who will be there when?

Oh, and my registration and check are in the post as of today. :D

Edited by Raphael Misson

Ok, I talked to the Bloomington CVB and the best (closest) options for hotels near Paynetown SRA are:

A Summerhouse Inn

4501 E. Third St.

www.asummerhouseinn.com

(this property prides themselves on being extremely family-friendly)

FYI, this place proved to have really good rates (I compared them to the ones in town.) Since I probably won't be there very much, price is important. (The other place has nice amenities, but since I wouldn't be taking advantage of them, I couldn't see clear to pay extra for them. :) )

Aw, shucks. You guys make me blush. I had to come; I heard Mark needed a gunner for he mighty ocean-going galleon. And now that I know Grace is going to be there...well!

BTW, I will probably take Friday off to make the trip because it's 5+ hours without have to run around and play in the hot rod and I don't want to miss the opportunity to do that. Plus I want to get the lay of the land for the site. Who will be there when?

Oh, and my registration and check are in the post as of today. ;)

I think that Micky is going to do his red coat routine at least once so I can use extra crew.

Nathan said something about a naval battle on Friday so we might get there Thursday in order to have time to have everything set up and the boat launched.

Mark

I'm planning on coming. It is approx. 9 hours, one way.

I'll register . . . eventually.

As it looks like I'm borrowing a tent from Mickey and Kate, I will probably ACTUALLY sleep near by. Otherwise, I'll cram myself into the back of my Scion . . .

Edit:

It is actually 9 hours and 550 miles, one way.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Officially, I need to have a registration in my hand no later than August 5th. However, I suspect that we'll fill up before that, so I would recommend registering as soon as possible to guarantee a spot.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

OK FOLKS!!! FORGET THE DEADLINE!!! We are almost full!!! Based on the registrations that I know are coming and what I have in hand, I think we're down to about 10 or 15 camps still available. (Registration is limited to 70 camps.) Gonna be a packed house this year!!

I'm figuring on close to 20 boats.

If you are waiting to send your registration FOR ANY REASON, do it now or you won't get in... I really don't want to have to send your registration back to you with a "sorry" note.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

I'm planning on coming. It is approx. 9 hours, one way.

I'll register . . . eventually.

As it looks like I'm borrowing a tent from Mickey and Kate, I will probably ACTUALLY sleep near by. Otherwise, I'll cram myself into the back of my Scion . . .

Edit:

I did it.

I've now registered and will be borrowing Mickey and Kate's old tent, as offered.

Who should I expect to see there?

How hot will it probably be?

-I'm not used to Indiana weather. I live the hot and humid Carolinas, so I'm used to that. What should I likely expect for an Indiana summer?

(I posted this in last year's thread then realized it WAS last year's thread. Mea culpa.)

Edit:

I did it.

I've now registered and will be borrowing Mickey and Kate's old tent, as offered.

-I'm not used to Indiana weather. I live the hot and humid Carolinas, so I'm used to that. What should I likely expect for an Indiana summer?

(I posted this in last year's thread then realized it WAS last year's thread. Mea culpa.)

Are you planning on camping with us/Micky? I'll be there Thursday evening and I need to know how much space to reserve. Anyone else - Rats?

Mark

Edited by MarkG

No worries, I'll be lining out camps and I think I have a pretty good understanding of who wants to be with who. I'm assuming that Scioto and Soris crews want to be together. I also figured on putting the Archangels close by these since you all know each other well. The Great Lakes River Pirates will be near the vendor area as per their request (granted because they have supported us from day one!) and the Skurvy Dog Clan will be nearby the GLRP since they're the host crew and can pretty much camp wherever they want... :) McCarty's Mercenaries will probably be to the outer edge. I'm trying to make sure that everyone is happy, but please understand that if I do make a mistake and you're not with your crew, I apologize in advance and I will try to fix the situation if possible, but understand that it may not be. We are trying to strategigally place camps this year so as to get as much space efficient use as possible... Thanks for understanding.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Edit:

I did it.

Are you planning on camping with us/Micky? I'll be there Thursday evening and I need to know how much space to reserve. Anyone else - Rats?

Mark

I am. Is there something else I need to register for? This is my first time there.

I'm coming up on Thursday. Friday sounds like too much fun to miss!

OK!! TIME IS UP!!! We are now officially full. We cannot accept any more registrations. I'm already a little over my allotted number! Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze a few more camps in next year, but I don't want to overbook the space we have, so I've gotta close registration now. Thank-you to everyone who jumped in and registered.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T REGISTERED YET!!! There's still hope! You can still register IF you can find someone to stay with, or if you intend to NOT set up a tent. There is plenty of room to crash in the boatwright's shop and the smuggler's demo area. There are also a handful of folks who said they'd be willing to let a vagrant sleep under their fly. :)

There are also a number of great hotels and campgrounds in the area and as of right now, the Paynetown State Rec Area's modern campground does still have two sites available. Contact me for a list of local hotels, etc.

P.S. If you have already sent your registration to me, I will still honor anything that is postmarked by August 25th.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org