August 7th, 8th & 9th, 2009: Pirates of Paynetown

Black Syren

Awww Rats... If you are really that broken up about a lack of sidekick for Paynetown.. I can pretend to try and fill in. :rolleyes: I may not be big and fuuzzy, but I do tend to smell after a day at an event... And if you feed me sea food stew, I smell worse than the dawg!

On a more serious note, I will have my early 1700s Red Coat gear at Paynetown, and at least two spare coats to use as loaners, possibly a third... But the third depends on if it's ownder deciding to be there filling it or not.

Oh sure.. am I supposed to thank you for that or plot your demise??

Even when he's not around................stupid curse of the maddog!

It's not right when a sidekick gets all the attention and first billing!!

Oh, and Rats, no worries man... We'll find you a furry fellow to share your shackles with... <_<

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi! Rats! Since when do you get a sidekick? I can't have a sidekick with a sidekick - that throws everything off! The name is too long - the Matty Bottles & Rats & Mad Dogge show? Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

:D

Rat and Dogge stuck with the Bottle? Hmmm.

Oh, I'm sure there won't be a problem with getting Rats his due airtime. ;)

On a more serious note...

BTW, those interested in uniformed soldiers... who are they to contact for more info or whatever? Besides going to the website?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

On a more serious note...

BTW, those interested in uniformed soldiers... who are they to contact for more info or whatever? Besides going to the website?

British Soldiers can register the same as anyone else, but specify what you are because otherwise I won't know that you're not a pirate until you get there. If you need more information, call me at (812) 606-1264.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Awww Rats... If you are really that broken up about a lack of sidekick for Paynetown.. I can pretend to try and fill in. :lol: I may not be big and fuuzzy, but I do tend to smell after a day at an event... And if you feed me sea food stew, I smell worse than the dawg!

On a more serious note, I will have my early 1700s Red Coat gear at Paynetown, and at least two spare coats to use as loaners, possibly a third... But the third depends on if it's ownder deciding to be there filling it or not.

Oh sure.. am I supposed to thank you for that or plot your demise??

Even when he's not around................stupid curse of the maddog!

It's not right when a sidekick gets all the attention and first billing!!

Oh, and Rats, no worries man... We'll find you a furry fellow to share your shackles with... :o

Are you planning on defending the camp or going out in the Firefly (the name of my Whitehall for those who do not know)?

Mark

I would personally name her after the most smoking mechanic in the verse!

Sounds good!

I have a couple buddies from my russian group who were at RF and live anout 45 minutes away. Sounds like thy'll be joining in.... I talked to Andy Hare and he's going to see if he can make the trip.. I'll also talk to the Swansons Matty Bottles and Tiger Bill.

BTW: Is the Santa Maria open during the week??

Well....

The site "officially" opens on Friday, but if you contact Nathan, he would have the answeres as to whether it is okay to show up early and how much early one can show up.

Also you should check out the Pirates in Paynetwon Web Site...

One link of particular improtance is the Registration Form

I don't want to tread on any toes here, but if none of the other Archangels are gonna show, you're more than welcome to camp with the Scioto Pirates for that weekend. We'll have 6 or more of us there, and "Firefly" (what I believe Mark has settled on naming his boat).

The Santa Maria is open daily except Monday and Tuesday.

This is a great event! This is a very nice (tree covered) location in which

to set up camp. There is running water and showers even!!! A really nice bunch

of friendly folks and a great location right on a lake make for a great time! If you

had been thinking about coming...just do it. You will not regret it!!!

This is a great event! This is a very nice (tree covered) location in which

of friendly folks and a great location right on a lake make for a great time! If you

Thanks for the kind comments... Good to hear such feedback! Obviously you have been there before, but I do not recognize your name... Were you there last year? Are you coming this year?

And on another unrelated note:

BTW folks, Ben is right, there are a LOT of shady trees, however, there IS a sunny area... The latecomers and last-minutes get the sunny area and space is filling up fast, so... If you plan on coming, don't delay... Registration deadline is August 30th. If you're not registered, you don't get to play... I can't stress this enough, yet every year I have a handful of sad faces that watch their friends setting up while giving me excuses such as "I really meant to pre-register..." I'm not trying to be a snob or a jerk... Space really IS limited and we need to have names and signatures on file for insurance purposes.

Thank-you all for understanding...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

Then it becomes a differnt name... and no one gets top billing!!

Like the 3 stooges or The Soggy Bottom Boys!!!

Oi! Rats! Since when do you get a sidekick? I can't have a sidekick with a sidekick - that throws everything off! The name is too long - the Matty Bottles & Rats & Mad Dogge show? Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• 2 weeks later...

Contact info for Pirates of Paynetown is as follows:

E-mail: piratesofpaynetown (at) gmail.com

Phone: (812) 606-1264 (Number will take you to me at work... Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters)

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

QUOTE (Ben Fridley @ Jun 25 2009, 02:13 PM) This is a great event! This is a very nice (tree covered) location in which

Thanks for the kind comments... Good to hear such feedback! Obviously you have been there before, but I do not recognize your name... Were you there last year? Are you coming this year?

And on another unrelated note:

BTW folks, Ben is right, there are a LOT of shady trees, however, there IS a sunny area... The latecomers and last-minutes get the sunny area and space is filling up fast, so... If you plan on coming, don't delay... Registration deadline is August 30th. If you're not registered, you don't get to play... I can't stress this enough, yet every year I have a handful of sad faces that watch their friends setting up while giving me excuses such as "I really meant to pre-register..." I'm not trying to be a snob or a jerk... Space really IS limited and we need to have names and signatures on file for insurance purposes.

Thank-you all for understanding...

"Ben" comes with us as "Dan".

Mark

Aha! Got it... Hi Dan...

All the pirate names get confusing for us event coordinators... We don't get to see all these cool names on the registration forms...

(Still scratching my head at the numerous requests to camp with Mickey Souris... lol!!)

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Just wondering if there will be vendors there?? I know I have a couple mates comming out and they might be looking to pick up some plunder.....OK yeah I also want some cool stuff once in a while and never have enough stockings and stuff!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Vendors as of right now include:

Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters (navigational equipment, shoes, stockings, accessories)

J. Henderson Artifacts (fine handcrafted stoneware pottery)

Smoking Iron Alterations (Clothing)

The Virginia Floor Cloth and Block Print Co. (hand-painted canvas floor cloths and block printed scarves)

Bongiorno Forge and Foundry (Handmade journals, ship's logbooks, inks, pens, and historical art supplies)

There is a possibility that there will be a couple more.

So, the answer is yes... There will be opportunity to acquire some plunder...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Sorry guys, too many message boards... I missed this whole conversation!!

Glad to see the scuttlebutt though.

Ok, so here's the deal... I will be there on Wednesday afternoon sometime, however, due to space restrictions, I will have to chart out and hold each space based on the number of camps REGISTERED. This is why Michael pointed out the importance of registering... And Mark is right, we upped the registration limit to 75 camps, but I'm not certain that we'll have enough room if we do reach that number. For this reason, if you are NOT pre-registered, you will have to wait until all registered campers have arrived and set up. (This could be as late as Saturday morning, which would suck if you arrived on Thursday, right?) So, be sure to pre-register. It's really important...

(Getting pirates to register is like herding cats... Don't push your luck or I'll stop the rum! blink.gif )

Now, I would recommend setting up Thursday or Friday, however, should you decide to arrive on Wednesday, just remember two things... One, you can't set up until I get there, and two, you have to help me set things up... Bwahahahaha!!!

Also, for those of you who are coming to Pirates of Paynetown for the first time, please bear in mind that this is a pirate event that is run by a period-music-loving nightowl, so there are no quiet hours when it comes to music, as long as it is period... (No "best of the 70's", unless you mean 1670's...) I will be designating Christoff the Wine Merchant's Publick House as the scene of debauchery, so if you want me to place your camp on the other side of the peninsula, let me know...

We are also looking for more public programs and interactions/skits. Remember, we don't have a real budget yet, but we're getting better. Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters is offering a $25 credit at the event to anyone who is willing to do a short program for the public. I know it's not much, but maybe we'll throw in some other goodies as well.

Also, there is a pitch-in dinner on Saturday evening, followed immediately by the Sailor's Divvy. (For those of you who have never been here before, remember that this is our big fundraiser... We have some mildly humiliating fun selling donated gear while you guys get some great deals and watch me and Jennifer make fools of ourselves... Remember, we will be collecting donations for the Sailor's Divvy, so be sure to bring some old gear or any period or pirate-ish goods that you're willing to part with. All proceeds go to keeping Pirates of Paynetown alive!

We will have live music from Jack Salt and a first-person interpretation of an indentured servant in the colonies. We will also have a naval battle on Friday, evening cannon demo on Friday night, Land/Sea battle on Saturday and Sunday. Pirates win on Saturday, but Redcoats win on Sunday IF there are enough to make it look good. (Looking for more brits... We NEEEEEEED you!! It's rather silly for the pirates to have no one to fight! And you get to harrass the pirates! What fun!)

IF YOU HAVE A CANNON AND CREW: We will be providing a small amount of black powder to registered cannon crews, so be sure to let me know if you plan on being part of the battery. (I need to know how much powder to buy!)

I think that's everything... Be sure to let me know if you have questions... And REGISTER!!! Space is filling fast!

Cap't. Nath'l Logsdon

What do you have in mind for the Friday naval battle? I'll probably have a crew of three or four available by mid-afternoon. Firefly works really well with two people rowing, one firing the small swivel gun, and one at the tiller.

If I get really crazy I might make a naval carriage for my 20" gun (I normally use it as a swivel gun on the Santa Maria but there's no place to mount it at Paynetown). My measure for that is a 35mm film can.

Mark

Friday afternoon, we'll take whatever boats and crew we have and basically do a water-based tactical. I figure the gunfire will draw the attention of the campers, etc.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

(Still scratching my head at the numerous requests to camp with Mickey Souris... lol!!)

Why would anyone want to camp near him? He's really kind of a jerk... And I hear he smells bad, not that I have gotten close enough to find out, nor do I ever want to... :D

I'll be there for Friday, hopefully earlier than later, but it will depend on the wife's work schedule, which hasn't been very flexible of late.

Michael_banner.jpg

For those of you who are Facebook addicts, here's the link to the Facebook listing.

Pirates of Paynetown 2009 on Facebook

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Why would anyone want to camp near him? He's really kind of a jerk... And I hear he smells bad, not that I have gotten close enough to find out, nor do I ever want to... :(

come now, michael !! after you get to know him, he's really not all that bad... you never know how much you two may have in common :)

Where else would I sleep?

:(

I need somewhere to duck in case it rains . . .

You and Kate wouldn't mind an extra person in the tent, right?

;)

You know I don't have and can't get a tent right now!

I'm just having to use several wool blankets.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Uh...they don't want to camp near Mickey Souris because of Mickey...it's cause they know Miss Kate will bake bread and rum cakes and roll shot all while chasing them down with sunscreen and water.

And because Miss Kate smells markedly better than Mickey. Like roses, even. :(

Tartan Jack- would you like the use of our fly tent for the event?

Banner.jpg

as of right now, we are planning to use the fly for outside sleeping... that's where i will be so the missus and the little 'uns can sleep under better shelter... since the fly is fairly goodsized, i'm sure that tartan jack can find a corner or two to pass out in :)

Uh...they don't want to camp near Mickey Souris because of Mickey...it's cause they know Miss Kate will bake bread and rum cakes and roll shot all while chasing them down with sunscreen and water.

And because Miss Kate smells markedly better than Mickey. Like roses, even. :(

Tartan Jack- would you like the use of our fly tent for the event?

I just might take ya'll up on that!

I need to talk to Mickey about some stuff anyways . . .

By the time I get there, I'll probably be the stinkier one. I'll spend a long day driving before hand.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg