August 7th, 8th & 9th, 2009: Pirates of Paynetown

Black Syren

http://www.piratesofpaynetown.org/

August 7th, 8th & 9th, 2009: Pirates of Paynetown

Paynetown State Recreation Area at Monroe Lake, Bloomington, INDIANA. 

Stand your Ground and watch as Historical Pirates battle on water and on land with Period Watercraft, Real Cannons, and More! Experience FIRSTHAND the Lives of Wayward Seamen in the 17th and 18th Centuries! Watch period boats sailing around the lake, historical pirates in camp, cannons, 18th Century British, Scottish and French government troops, period merchants, and lots of fun! All the pirates will talk to you, so feel free to interact!

Pirates, Military, Civilians and Natives welcome from 1650-1800! We welcome river pirates, High Seas pirates and even Barbary Coast pirates, but please NO polyester pirates! Participants must preregister by visiting www.piratesofpaynetown.org, piratesofpaynetown@gmail.com or by calling 812-606-1264. Space is limited!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scioto Pirate will be there in full force... Capt. Mark G and wife will be bringing their boat, wife and I will be there, Dan, and Thomas (or so I hear) will be there, perhaps some others as well...

I've been in fairly regular contact with Nathan over this one, and it sounds as if this year the event has grown yet again! I'm pretty stoked about finally getting a chance to check this event out for myself.

Michael_banner.jpg

The Scioto Pirate will be there in full force... Capt. Mark G and wife will be bringing their boat, wife and I will be there, Dan, and Thomas (or so I hear) will be there, perhaps some others as well...

I've been in fairly regular contact with Nathan over this one, and it sounds as if this year the event has grown yet again! I'm pretty stoked about finally getting a chance to check this event out for myself.

Nathan has been slowly expanding this event. Last year he allowed 50 tents. This year he is going to try 75 and see if there is room for any more.

Mark

Do you folks plan to drive right there from Kenosha or will you be headed home for a few days??

Depending on time off and $$... I just might visit for Thurs and Friday... then back on saturday evening??

That would be great Rats! I hope you can make it! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help get you there!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

As of this very second I do have the entire week off... But the wife could not get a single day off that week... So I am fairly determined to cancel the vacation time and save it for another occassion...

So we are stuck going home for a break of a few days before heading out again.

So we will be at Pike River Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday until the afternoon, and then we will have to leave... Our Paynetown times will likely be similar, but because it is only a 3 1/2 hour drive, we will not arrive as late, and will be able to stay longer Sunday.

Do you folks plan to drive right there from Kenosha or will you be headed home for a few days??
Depending on time off and $$... I just might visit for Thurs and Friday... then back on saturday evening??

That would be great Rats! I hope you can make it! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help get you there!

Michael_banner.jpg

Cool!

I'll probably head to Indianna on thurs?? Depending on when we can get in there.

As of this very second I do have the entire week off... But the wife could not get a single day off that week... So I am fairly determined to cancel the vacation time and save it for another occassion...

So we will be at Pike River Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday until the afternoon, and then we will have to leave... Our Paynetown times will likely be similar, but because it is only a 3 1/2 hour drive, we will not arrive as late, and will be able to stay longer Sunday.

sig2.jpg

Hint hint hint!!

SO when can we get into the park and start setting up for this raid???

Cool!

I'll probably head to Indianna on thurs?? Depending on when we can get in there.

sig2.jpg

Well....

The site "officially" opens on Friday, but if you contact Nathan, he would have the answeres as to whether it is okay to show up early and how much early one can show up.

Also you should check out the Pirates in Paynetwon Web Site...

One link of particular improtance is the Registration Form

I don't want to tread on any toes here, but if none of the other Archangels are gonna show, you're more than welcome to camp with the Scioto Pirates for that weekend. We'll have 6 or more of us there, and "Firefly" (what I believe Mark has settled on naming his boat).

Michael_banner.jpg

I would personally name her after the most smoking mechanic in the verse!

Sounds good!

I have a couple buddies from my russian group who were at RF and live anout 45 minutes away. Sounds like thy'll be joining in.... I talked to Andy Hare and he's going to see if he can make the trip.. I'll also talk to the Swansons Matty Bottles and Tiger Bill.

BTW: Is the Santa Maria open during the week??

Well....

The site "officially" opens on Friday, but if you contact Nathan, he would have the answeres as to whether it is okay to show up early and how much early one can show up.

I don't want to tread on any toes here, but if none of the other Archangels are gonna show, you're more than welcome to camp with the Scioto Pirates for that weekend. We'll have 6 or more of us there, and "Firefly" (what I believe Mark has settled on naming his boat).

sig2.jpg

Please Invite Carleton too! He was a great kid to get to know at Hampton, he was really thrilled at being the steersman on one of the outings on the Firefly, and he is a very cool and enthusiastic young re-enactor.

The Santa Maria's hour are hard to pin down these days as they keep getting reduced from additional budget cuts... They are open some week days.... From their web site (www.santamaria.org)

Summer Hours

May 27 - September 4

Wed-Fri: 10 am - 5 pm

Sat-Sun: Noon - 6 pm

Sounds good!

I have a couple buddies from my russian group who were at RF and live anout 45 minutes away. Sounds like thy'll be joining in.... I talked to Andy Hare and he's going to see if he can make the trip.. I'll also talk to the Swansons Matty Bottles and Tiger Bill.

Well....

Michael_banner.jpg

I'll give em a call and see if they're up for a road trip!

Please Invite Carleton too! He was a great kid to get to know at Hampton, he was really thrilled at being the steersman on one of the outings on the Firefly, and he is a very cool and enthusiastic young re-enactor.

The Santa Maria's hour are hard to pin down these days as they keep getting reduced from additional budget cuts... They are open some week days.... From their web site (www.santamaria.org)

Summer Hours

May 27 - September 4

Wed-Fri: 10 am - 5 pm

Sat-Sun: Noon - 6 pm

Sounds good!

Well....

sig2.jpg

Sorry guys, too many message boards... I missed this whole conversation!!

Glad to see the scuttlebutt though.

Ok, so here's the deal... I will be there on Wednesday afternoon sometime, however, due to space restrictions, I will have to chart out and hold each space based on the number of camps REGISTERED. This is why Michael pointed out the importance of registering... And Mark is right, we upped the registration limit to 75 camps, but I'm not certain that we'll have enough room if we do reach that number. For this reason, if you are NOT pre-registered, you will have to wait until all registered campers have arrived and set up. (This could be as late as Saturday morning, which would suck if you arrived on Thursday, right?) So, be sure to pre-register. It's really important...

(Getting pirates to register is like herding cats... Don't push your luck or I'll stop the rum! :rolleyes: )

Now, I would recommend setting up Thursday or Friday, however, should you decide to arrive on Wednesday, just remember two things... One, you can't set up until I get there, and two, you have to help me set things up... Bwahahahaha!!!

Also, for those of you who are coming to Pirates of Paynetown for the first time, please bear in mind that this is a pirate event that is run by a period-music-loving nightowl, so there are no quiet hours when it comes to music, as long as it is period... (No "best of the 70's", unless you mean 1670's...) I will be designating Christoff the Wine Merchant's Publick House as the scene of debauchery, so if you want me to place your camp on the other side of the peninsula, let me know...

We are also looking for more public programs and interactions/skits. Remember, we don't have a real budget yet, but we're getting better. Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters is offering a $25 credit at the event to anyone who is willing to do a short program for the public. I know it's not much, but maybe we'll throw in some other goodies as well.

Also, there is a pitch-in dinner on Saturday evening, followed immediately by the Sailor's Divvy. (For those of you who have never been here before, remember that this is our big fundraiser... We have some mildly humiliating fun selling donated gear while you guys get some great deals and watch me and Jennifer make fools of ourselves... Remember, we will be collecting donations for the Sailor's Divvy, so be sure to bring some old gear or any period or pirate-ish goods that you're willing to part with. All proceeds go to keeping Pirates of Paynetown alive!

We will have live music from Jack Salt and a first-person interpretation of an indentured servant in the colonies. We will also have a naval battle on Friday, evening cannon demo on Friday night, Land/Sea battle on Saturday and Sunday. Pirates win on Saturday, but Redcoats win on Sunday IF there are enough to make it look good. (Looking for more brits... We NEEEEEEED you!! It's rather silly for the pirates to have no one to fight! And you get to harrass the pirates! What fun!)

IF YOU HAVE A CANNON AND CREW: We will be providing a small amount of black powder to registered cannon crews, so be sure to let me know if you plan on being part of the battery. (I need to know how much powder to buy!)

I think that's everything... Be sure to let me know if you have questions... And REGISTER!!! Space is filling fast!

Cap't. Nath'l Logsdon

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

what did ya expect...CHarlton... IS my blood relation ya know..... :rolleyes:

unfortunately looks like the Crewe of the Archangel will be split once again.....got a PAYING gig the same weekend on the east coast.....somehow we got to get these dates freeed up!?!?!...paynestown is one of the closets to me...and i could only make it once't!!!

Edited by M.A.d'Dogge
th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Ahm excuse me... Who invited the fuzzy one?

Oh sure let me geuss.. Rats decides to show up and Mad Dog just HAS to show up and try to steal as much thunder as possible!!!! Folks just don't understand that it's the Rats and Mad Dog show!!! Not the Fuzzy Puppy and Rats show!!!

I mean why do you people think he constantly falls down flights of stairs....Hmmm?

ATTENTION people! He does it for ATTENTION!!

Oh Mad Dog are you alright?? Oh Mad dog here let me help you up.....Blah blah blah....wa, wa, wa! Hold me, I'm a delicate little Mad Dog..... boo hoo hoo!!!

Well enough of that cr@p!! Every Rat has it's day and this is the year of the RAT!!!!

er.. I mean year of ..Rats! Yeah...well what ever!! You know what I mean!!!

Stupid Mad dog..... grumble grumble.... grumble 'Wot! I'm Mad Dog..... grumble!! See how I smother the camera!!

Grumble!

what did ya expect...CHarlton... IS my blood relation ya know..... :rolleyes:

unfortunately looks like the Crewe of the Archangel will be split once again.....got a PAYING gig the same weekend on the east coast.....somehow we got to get these dates freeed up!?!?!...paynestown is one of the closets to me...and i could only make it once't!!!

sig2.jpg

Relax... I need Maddogge that weekend, so Rats, feel free to steal the show at Paynetown, along with the other Midwesterners who cannot make North Carolina, as always they are welcome to stay closer to home.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Great idea dear Captain!

take that evil smelly mad dog!! I did mention smelly didn't I??

yeah!!

except.... man that dosen't sound right... Rats and...... Just... Rats!

Well maybe if he can't do Beaufort..... Maaaybe he can show up?

stupid Maddog... and his fusi... Fusil what ever the heck it is!!

Least I got me a new pistol... and it's a frenchy too!!!

Grumble grumble!! stupid maddog.....

Relax... I need Maddogge that weekend, so Rats, feel free to steal the show at Paynetown, along with the other Midwesterners who cannot make North Carolina, as always they are welcome to stay closer to home.

sig2.jpg

We'll always accept strays! :) Sounds like the captain is a responsible pet owner and keeps the Mad Dogge on a leash... Sorry guys. We'll miss you again this year... You're always welcome any time. I do understand paying gigs. I wish we could offer something like that, but it's hard enough to just do what we have to. Go where the money is, but if anyone doesn't want to make the trip, you've all got a place here!

:rolleyes:

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Oh sure.. am I supposed to thank you for that or plot your demise??

Even when he's not around................stupid curse of the maddog!

It's not right when a sidekick gets all the attention and first billing!!

Oh, and Rats, no worries man... We'll find you a furry fellow to share your shackles with... :rolleyes:

sig2.jpg

(Getting pirates to register is like herding cats... Don't push your luck or I'll stop the rum! :rolleyes: )

Oh, dear God... tell me about it. ::Going bonkers::

I will be designating Christoff the Wine Merchant's Publick House as the scene of debauchery,

:rolleyes::lol:

No comment

Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters is offering a $25 credit at the event to anyone who is willing to do a short program for the public.

Oooooo. Heck, would do one without the credit... but, ummm, the credit is a great compensation for dyin' and resurrectin'. ;)

but Redcoats win on Sunday IF there are enough to make it look good. (Looking for more brits... We NEEEEEEED you!! It's rather silly for the pirates to have no one to fight! And you get to harrass the pirates! What fun!)

Consider th' call put out, my good man. Will attempt t' swindle as many Brits in uniform t' come to th' event.

Oh, and Rats, no worries man... We'll find you a furry fellow to share your shackles with...

THE DRUNKEN MONKEY!!!!

If th' Fates allow me t' attend this event,... I'll bring him. Whoever has the other monkey, bring him, too! ;) They are fuzzy... and silent.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

We'll always accept strays! :) Sounds like the captain is a responsible pet owner and keeps the Mad Dogge on a leash... Sorry guys. We'll miss you again this year... You're always welcome any time. I do understand paying gigs. I wish we could offer something like that, but it's hard enough to just do what we have to. Go where the money is, but if anyone doesn't want to make the trip, you've all got a place here!

:rolleyes:

Nice to know there's someone out there that understands... and thank ye for looking after "the children"....while we adults are out earning a living... :rolleyes:

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Earnin' a living? :rolleyes:

:::Rethinks the situation::: Hmmm... pyrate hunter... accumulating coinage... hmmm... ::ponders more::: a risk well worth taking.

:::evil, wicked grin at Sterling::: Looks like th' pure one has some shineys that need t' be plundered.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!