Cooking Rum

Capn Bob

I'm laying into stock a variety of recipes that involve cooking with rum...generally, a dark rum. But in your considered opinion, would gold serve as well? What would consitute a good cooking rum. Keep in mind the fact that, being a lowly librarian in Reale Lyfe, I'm looking to combine my cooking rum and drinking rum in one label.

Being as I am a very beginning rummer (but since I am employed, I'm not an Idle Rummer), I tend towards Capn Morgan Private Stock (hey, *Bilgemunkey* likes it, so it be good enuff fer me...), but would it serve for cooking?

And so ye may know what I'm planning on feeding to meself, here's a link to one recipe...

http://www.grouprecipes.com/90439/pecan-cr...tter-sauce.html

Damn, thats sharp!

So much depends on the recipe and desired result.

Personally, I think Morgan's Private has too much non-rhum flavour about it, and that one would need to account for those flavors.

For cooking when I want a good rhum flavour, say in my signature rhum cake, I choose Gosling's Black Seal. When it's more for kick than flavour, then I use an amber "mixing" rhum, something like Cruzan's.

In regards to the Private Stock, t'be honest, I was thinking something along those lines meself...that the flavoring additions would tend to overpower the food. Not really a problem as far as red meat is concerned, but in the case of seafood dishes, it'd certainly be a consideration.

Its hard to use seafood as a dish...even when they stop wiggling about, they're still slippery and the food keeps sliding off...

Personally, I think Morgan's Private has too much non-rhum flavour about it, and that one would need to account for those flavors.

For cooking when I want a good rhum flavour, say in my signature rhum cake, I choose Gosling's Black Seal. When it's more for kick than flavour, then I use an amber "mixing" rhum, something like Cruzan's.

Damn, thats sharp!

Don't know th' Rum used...... but Red Handed Jill does something Wicked with her ... well Rum Cakes...... :wacko:

Geez Patt - this sounds like I do the dance of the seven veils around 'em or something.

I just have a secret - emphasis on secret - recipe for a really good, really potent rum cake.

RHJMap.jpg

I can vouch for Jamie's rhum cakes! They are killer! As is the butter praelene (?) sauce is pours over them. Heaven.

And Patrick is right, Jill makes a kick-butt rhum cake as well.

Gosh, I bet lots of people have recipes for stuff made with rum....wonder if we need a new thread just for that? I have a rather nice concoction for hot buttered rum, and hot chocolate with rum. I use Pyrate Pistol, and Tattoo, respectively, for those.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 2 weeks later...

:D you people cook with rum. Just how in Davy Jones's locker do you expect to have enough to drink if ye keep cooking with it? You do know that you take all of the good stuff out when ye cook it right?

Ok I am just kidding. If if can find my Grandma's rum cake recipe I will post it for you all. :D

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

My secret for really good hot buttered rum is vanilla. The rest is just the usual: hot water, butter, brown sugar, RUM.

Vanilla's good.

In addition to the other usual spices, I also like a lot of ginger, both the fresh and dried, in mine.

Try some saffron sometime for an extra special kick :D

Edited by Quartermaster James