"Steamin' " Leather

Monterey Jack

Greetings all!

I've worked for Oregon Leather Company in Eugene for 10 years and Tandy for 10 before that. We have a lot of re enactors for all periods coming in and the newest thing is Steampunk. I'm now hooked as well and have a few leather projects in the works reflecting this. I would like to offer help or advice to folks trying to make their leather -related gear. It keeps me in the loop and keeps me thinking!

You can contact me here or PM me anytime; I check mail about twice a week or so. Also at www.oregonleatherco.com

Looking forward to this!

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

I might have to contact you (well when I have some money).... Knowing someone that I can send a copy of a pattern to, and ask... do you have a chunka leather this size, is a great plus......

I might have to contact you (well when I have some money).... Knowing someone that I can send a copy of a pattern to, and ask... do you have a chunka leather this size, is a great plus......

Anytime, Patrick! I'm working on a leather vest right now; roughly 1890s pattern but tweaked to be steamy,,,I'll send pix!

Monterey Jack

Anytime, Patrick! I'm working on a leather vest right now; roughly 1890s pattern but tweaked to be steamy,,,I'll send pix!

Nice :) i am slowly getting back into working leather after a wrist injury. Slow slow going with everything else going on. Am very interested in seeing how you take it steamy. SP is one of my fav genres. Has been for many years but around here until recently no one was constuming in it. Now starting to see a lot more at local cons.

Nice :) i am slowly getting back into working leather after a wrist injury. Slow slow going with everything else going on. Am very interested in seeing how you take it steamy. SP is one of my fav genres. Has been for many years but around here until recently no one was constuming in it. Now starting to see a lot more at local cons.

Ididn't even know this genre existed til a friend of mine introduced me to Abney Park about the same time customers started coming in in partial costume for my help. I've done period leatherwork for 18 yrs but always wanted to try something Jules Verne-fantastical..just no venue for it..til now! LOL

Monterey Jack

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings all!

I've worked for Oregon Leather Company in Eugene for 10 years and Tandy for 10 before that. We have a lot of re enactors for all periods coming in and the newest thing is Steampunk. I'm now hooked as well and have a few leather projects in the works reflecting this. I would like to offer help or advice to folks trying to make their leather -related gear. It keeps me in the loop and keeps me thinking!

You can contact me here or PM me anytime; I check mail about twice a week or so. Also at www.oregonleatherco.com

Looking forward to this!

I have been personally working on a couple ideas which are a combination of leater and canvas. So I'll share a suggestion for the creation of a multi-use shoulder holster. I say multi-use in the thought that if someone invests in a shoulder rig... They should or could be converted for the use of different weapons.

For instance... the Nerf Maverick has become a favorite with the steamer crowd. Now if someone came up with a simple style of shoulder rig.... It would be nice to also have the option to add a different holster for say...a generic medium sized pistol (1911 or 44 revolver??)...

My personal rig will consist of a shoulder rig hangin on my left, with a drop sling for a carbine or shotgun.

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I did a shoulder rig for my wood comb, altoids, and a big pouch for cigars on the other side. I used post screws so I could swap out parts, I figured if I had a gun holster I'd get in trouble more than just a comb holster. Oh, and a calling card holder too.

3063561299_cf40d9db3e_o.jpg

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I did a shoulder rig for my wood comb, altoids, and a big pouch for cigars on the other side. I used post screws so I could swap out parts, I figured if I had a gun holster I'd get in trouble more than just a comb holster. Oh, and a calling card holder too.

3063561299_cf40d9db3e_o.jpg

See!! Great minds think a like!!!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

See!! Great minds think a like!!!!

I hope that's a good thing ;) The back is pretty cool, I don't have pics of it. The leather covers most of my shoulder blades and the pieces connect to each other by two small straps of leather attached by 3 brass screw posts on each side and a brass buckle. I really went with the brass and leather on this one. I need to work on a holster for my Maverick, if I ever get it done...

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the absence, all!

My lady and I are gearing up for Steamcon 2010 since this year is a bit o' a financial mess! What's been happening with leatherwork in the steamy universe? I have an article coming out in October for a SP gunrig you all may like, complete with a how-to and patterns! Now, back to working on the clothes!!!

Monterey Jack