Sword Canes!

Jib

I recall that one of the guys I used do stage combat with had a small sword - sword cane.

I know that gentlemen often carried walking sticks. Any idea when someone first put a blade in one?

The first is probably lost to history, but it's hard to imagine such a feint doesn't go back quite a ways.

In European history, I believe they were popular from the Restoration forward, but I have no references at hand to cite.

You may want to investigate the history of walking sticks in England as, if memory serves, in the 18th century the proper carrying of them was a point of some contention.

I'm not sure of the history of them, but I really did like the one that Lucious Malfoy carried in the Harry Potter movies.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hmm... will have to check on this with some people. Thought that use of cane sword were during this age when some were unable to bring swords or wear them, but walking canes were still allowed. G.Gedney Godwin sells some but not as fancy as what RumbaRue's fine canes.

I admit, I've pondered on at least one. Cause if necessary, once the sword is drawn, the cane can be used at a defense florentine style (or so I've been taught).

I am interested in this subject. Would be awesome to have a walking stick that doubles as a hidden weapon.

Perkeo... ye'll have to post pictures of it sometime. :) Would fancy seein' it.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I recall that one of the guys I used do stage combat with had a small sword - sword cane.

I know that gentlemen often carried walking sticks. Any idea when someone first put a blade in one?

Couldn't tell you about the very fist example, but the surviving ones tend to come from the 19th century, and there's probably a good reason for that: swords were worn as part of the outfit, they were fashionable and meant to be on display. Gentlemen in the GAoP often carried swords with no intention of using them, as mere decoration. So, if you're going to go to the expesnse of a sword at a time when you want to show it off, what's the point of hiding it in a cane?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Go t' California t' gets them, eh? Ooooo... what excitement! Smugglin' fo' sure!!! :(

Hmmm... gotta figure this 'n out, Rumba. ::le sigh::: alas, tis lookin' grim. <_< Oh, well.

Hopefully someone 'll be able to obtain th' beauties.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Honestly, I'd love to sell them......way under the table.........$35.00 each

But you'd have to come here to get them.

Really?

Got pictures?? <_<

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Noooo... I meant of the ones you want to sell under the table. :unsure:

Or do you mean you are selling those? If so, one is sold my girl...!

What is the total length of the cane and what is the sword length?

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I'd be very happy to take the other one off your hands.

"Sisters... Sisters... there were never such devoted Sisters.." :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Remember that pic of the two old ladies fencing? Heh.

ROTFLMAO!! Yes, yes... here we are in our Golden years. :lol:

SwordFightingSeniors-1.jpg

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 1 year later...

My friend's bounty hunter (actually a character we drew up together and we share his use - when he interacts with her characters I'm playing him) uses such a sword cane. It was a hidden weapon used both by London gentlemen when they came from a gambling hell and by less savoury characters...

Actually it was me who got this idea for him when drawing up the character, and I was inspired by a movie in "Winnetou" series, where a British gentleman who seemed so out of place in the Wild West first admitted to have fought in India in his early years (so knowing something about weapons) and then, when needed, he defended himself with such a stick. "Where have you mastered thistechnique, in India?" "Rather on the streets of London slums!":rolleyes:

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-