showers

I have to agree with what several other people have said - it's not your problem. Just make that part of the situation very clear from the start - it's primitive camping and... (spell out as many details as you are able). Those who decide to go can figure things out for themselves. Otherwise I think you're just making trouble for yourself.

Besides, from my camping daze, I noticed that the second day sans shower is a bit (very slightly) uncomfortable, but by the third day you forget all about it. (Of course, this is primarily (although not exclusively) experience from all male events. The co-ed events featured women who understood the situation and decided not to worry about it. (Such women - provided they aren't the sort who never shower - are often more interesting anyhow.))

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just my two pieces of eight.

Having been to some very large CW Events over the ...mumbles something approximating 13 years ...... last few years there've been places with thousands of reenactors, those most concerned with a bath would quite literally use a wash tub and a gallon jug or two to wash with. Most organizers don't take bathing into consideration. The most important thing is water for consumption, (not "the" consumption) you know, drinking. Although from what I've gathered about this era, hobby, pastime, pursuit "drinking" water is even low on the list, falling somewhere below rum, rum, absinthe, rum, food, and/or a hammock.

A water buffalo or 2 from theclosest Nat'l Guard unit would fill the bill nicely. Barring that are there any pool water trucking companies or businennes around that may be able to provide a tanker of rum, rum, absinthe, or even potable water?

Embrace The Stench.

In summation, drinking water be way more important than washin' water for 3 or 4 days. Once we all get stinky the event ceases to be that "Stinkin' event in Va." You know that would be a great name for it .... Akin to Bo's idea for stinkaway camp .... "Dutchies Stinkin' Pirate Encampment in Tidewater, Va". You know in most places when the tide goes out it gets so stinky that we wouldn't notice each other anyway.

Ultimate solution ... issue a jar of Vick's Vaporub to each person at registration, put a dollop on your upper lip and reapply as needed (PRN)

I have to agree with Mae, would cousin Robbie be concerned? :rolleyes:

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

I still think solar showers are the cheapest of the various suggested options... At $15 each (from the source in that link) plus whatever you can find to build around it for privacy, it can't be beat... And I believe Sterling mentioned a place that may have them for cheaper.

I guess this is where you start to run into how much of a budget do you have for the event? Are you charging for the event, in which case you can tack an additional $1 onto your admission price to defray the cost of the showers... Or perhaps there are other financial options. Personally, if an event was seemingly good enough, and I knew I was going, and showers were not going to be available, I know I would spend the handful of bucks on one of those for my own sanity (well, mostly the wife's sanity) :rolleyes: . And I would likely be nice enough to allow a few friend use of it, specially those who helped maintain it and assisted in lugging the water to keep it full.

Showering probably shouldn't be that big of a concern for your hypothetical event, a steady source of water (both drinking water, and water than can be used for cleaning) is a bigger concern. As for run off water, having been to a few Pennsics in August in PA, where every camp has dish water and many camps also use the solar showers or similar set-ups, soapy water is not much of a worry, or nothing a shallow pit for the run-off water to go into, the soil will naturally take care of filtration... If the theory can work for 10 to 14 THOUSAND people within a campground in PA, I'm sure it can work for a few hundred in VA. Digging the pit for run-off water has become an almost annual chore for me at the Pennsics I attend, and since the camp I stay with there is up around the 50 people mark, we dig a pit about 5 to 6 feet deep, and about 5 by 7 feet around. Usually a few of us shift work it in tandem and it takes no more than an hour or two.

Michael_banner.jpg

.....Personally, if an event was seemingly good enough, and I knew I was going, and showers were not going to be available, I know I would spend the handful of bucks on one of those for my own sanity (well, mostly the wife's sanity) :D . And I would likely be nice enough to allow a few friend use of it, specially those who helped maintain it and assisted in lugging the water to keep it full.

ok...let me see if'n i gots this straight.....

as long as someone helps keep water around.....they can shower with yur wife??!?!!.... ^_^

allright then...i'll bring me bucket!!!... ^_^

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

OMG !!

With the way Dutch looks in his uniform(?) He's the last one I thoght would be worryin' 'bout bein all clean an' smellin' purty an' powdery. What arrrr ye some kinda gurl?

Though we was smelly ole pirates an' such.

You never heer'd a goin' fer a swim?

Who'd a thunk it Dutch, a petite flower ..... come on man .... embrace the stench!!

Ya'll go on an set up yore canvas shower an' I'll get a flood light, some rope an' sand bags an we'll recreate the infamous shower scene from M*A*S*H. can ye see Dutchie as Sally Kellereman screamin' bout how this ain't no Pirate ship but a insane ass i lem?

That'll be good ..... soap an water .... INDEED!!

I met dutch this past weekend. He explained the intracacies of navigation to me, and I couldn't smell him at all. Of course, I was picking my nose with my thumbs at the time...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

**Long, drawn out sigh**

Thank ye Mr. Bottles fer that report

Right then, one less member of my crewe who needs to concern themselves with body oder... :D

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

well, actually that be three words, but I have not purchased deodorant now in almost two year but have through two o' these rocks (and a couple bottles o' th' Thai Stone foot powder). However I do shower once in a while...as long as no one teases me about me rubber duckie ^_^ or me life preserver ring :D or me snorkel ^_^

and that's just in the bathtub...... laughing.gif

Lord knows I'll regret this, but ....... I'll not be makin' fun o' anudder man's snorkel. :(:(

Let he who is without .......... well I won't be throwin' no rocks! :blink:

By the way if any one is interested (M.A.d'Dogge) :D I sell water buckets, small ones so ye gotta keep comin' back with more water.. wink wink, nudge, nudge.

Dang... blundered into the wrong thread again! :D

Evil Sutler Jim

Self Promoter Jim

Just supply the shower stalls and have people lug their own water ...heck ...buckets with holes in the bottom would be a step up for many of us! :rolleyes:

But Silkie, if yer bucket has holes in it ye'll never get a shower anywhere but upon yer feet.

Ye'll jes keep carryin' an' carryin', like that Sisyphus ..... maybe I didn't spell his name right ...... Sissyfied (Ye know Dutch that started this thing 'bout havin' ta wash an' all) guy an the rock what he keeps havin' ta push back up the dang hill!

Self Promoter Jim

as a rather, um, "prissy" female, I'm always concerned about where I get to bath if I can be convinced to camp and honestly, as long as you provide an area where someone can hold up a sheet... I'll have my hubby drag out a water bucket and cloth with a little doctor bronners (lavender sented of course) and I'll wash that way, no problems. As long as there is a wee bit a privacy somewhere (you don't want any angry, drunken husbands) with a place to dump the water... don't worry.

And those solar showers look very nifty, indeed!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

as a rather, um, "prissy" female, I'm always concerned about where I get to bath if I can be convinced to camp and honestly, as long as you provide an area where someone can hold up a sheet... I'll have my hubby drag out a water bucket and cloth with a little doctor bronners (lavender sented of course) and I'll wash that way, no problems. As long as there is a wee bit a privacy somewhere (you don't want any angry, drunken husbands) with a place to dump the water... don't worry.

And those solar showers look very nifty, indeed!

once again...as a chivalrous gentleman as meself...... <_< .....I volunteer to hold the sheet for ya Lady..... :(

As I've been hangin' around in here, I've to notice that Mr. Dogge is always ready to help a Lady in dis-dress or any state of un-dress.

You sir are true humanitarian. I think in the case of this shower thing you could also qualify as a true "sanitarian" as well.

kudos to ya!

Jim

Self Promoter Jim

seagoer_soap.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

.....Personally, if an event was seemingly good enough, and I knew I was going, and showers were not going to be available, I know I would spend the handful of bucks on one of those for my own sanity (well, mostly the wife's sanity) :lol: . And I would likely be nice enough to allow a few friend use of it, specially those who helped maintain it and assisted in lugging the water to keep it full.

as long as someone helps keep water around.....they can shower with yur wife??!?!!.... :lol:

allright then...i'll bring me bucket!!!... <_<

Only if you bring the loofa too.

If it helps though, I have actually used one of those solar showers (heat stroke at Pennsic....Maherta shoved me into the shower stall to try and help....) and it was actually very nice and the bag only laid out for an hour or so. couldn't wash my hair or anything because of no pressure, but it would work for getting rid of grime and ick....

Banner.jpg

.....Personally, if an event was seemingly good enough, and I knew I was going, and showers were not going to be available, I know I would spend the handful of bucks on one of those for my own sanity (well, mostly the wife's sanity) :( . And I would likely be nice enough to allow a few friend use of it, specially those who helped maintain it and assisted in lugging the water to keep it full.

as long as someone helps keep water around.....they can shower with yur wife??!?!!.... ;)

allright then...i'll bring me bucket!!!... :unsure:

my chin is growin in nicely....thank you....(tehehehe)... :(

s7_516873_imageset_01.jpg

I could not help reading this thread..Are those not windows in that little shower??????????

It is twice as useful then! It can also be used as a fundraiser.

We went on a week long canoe trip with some girls who were mostly game, but they brought this stupid padded toilet seat with them for setting on the makeshift facilities. About three days into the week which included several portages along with setting up and tearing down camp each day, they wished they had never brought it. Alas, it proved to be their albatross because we couldn't leave anything behind as we were in pristine lands and that was the rule. (I wonder if I can find any pics of them with their arm through that stupid thing while they were portaging the canoe? I seem to remember it being powder blue...)

It seems to me you could just rough it for a few days if you have to go to this event. It's only four days and you really acclimate yourself to not showering after two. Honest. (Women too. I have documented proof.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

.....Personally, if an event was seemingly good enough, and I knew I was going, and showers were not going to be available, I know I would spend the handful of bucks on one of those for my own sanity (well, mostly the wife's sanity) :( . And I would likely be nice enough to allow a few friend use of it, specially those who helped maintain it and assisted in lugging the water to keep it full.

as long as someone helps keep water around.....they can shower with yur wife??!?!!.... ;)

allright then...i'll bring me bucket!!!... :unsure:

my chin is growin in nicely....thank you....(tehehehe)... :(

;););)

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

• 1 month later...

s7_516873_imageset_01.jpg

I could not help reading this thread..Are those not windows in that little shower??????????

Aye, they are windows but they can be ziped shut for privacy.

I'm just picturing the sign advertising the showers at Blue Heaven restaurant......

Showers-$1

To Watch..$2

:D

E O'K