showers

ok so i have hit a logistical snag. a four day field event without a shower seems a bit much to me. what can be done to accomplish this without a supporting infrastructure or is it best to tell attendees to grab a pot of hot water, a bucket and fend for themselves? any ideas???????????????

Make a cheap plastic frame work, drape some canvas for privacy, and use Solar Showers, as long as it is in a warm time of year they work okay... And the shower portion is only $15, I'm guessing once you add in plastic plumbing frame and some draped canvas, you could have a portable shower for less than $50 that you could use over and over again....

Michael_banner.jpg

OMG !!

With the way Dutch looks in his uniform(?) He's the last one I thoght would be worryin' 'bout bein all clean an' smellin' purty an' powdery. What arrrr ye some kinda gurl?

Though we was smelly ole pirates an' such.

You never heer'd a goin' fer a swim?

Who'd a thunk it Dutch, a petite flower ..... come on man .... embrace the stench!!

Ya'll go on an set up yore canvas shower an' I'll get a flood light, some rope an' sand bags an we'll recreate the infamous shower scene from M*A*S*H. can ye see Dutchie as Sally Kellereman screamin' bout how this ain't no Pirate ship but a insane ass i lem?

That'll be good ..... soap an water .... INDEED!!

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

ok, let me clarify. I've got an awsome venue for a great event. my only snag is two hundred smell pirates for four days. plenty of porta-pottys can be brought in but what about bathin these fine folks. no showers on site!

Pirates do naught take showers ye see fer many o' them can naught swim :rolleyes:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Oi if a shower a day doesn't help Maddogge and I can go four days without one, I fail to see the problem... look at it like an immersion event...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Immersion, or lack thereof, seems to be Dutchies problem, maybe HE can, an needs to, breathe underwater?!?

Does he really smell that bad? I mean he really does look like it. Like M.A.Dogge said ..... Grace???? is the "Stench" just a part o' the 'sperience? .......... Poor girl.

By the way I didn't get a Christmas card last year anyway.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Dutch doesn't even smell bad... Mr. Merriweather smells worse.... but I do think the fellow is worried more about the ladies...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I have been attending the Philly Folk Festival since 1991. Thousands of campers. You don't need showers. People can bring a pail and a wash cloth and if they can't take a cold sponge bath they are wimps and shouldn't be camping anyway. If they want hot showers let them fend for themselves.

Also, there are companies that have "shower" trucks. Trailers that are hauled. i don't know if they have tanks or if they have to be hooked up to running water. I have no idea what they cost and I have no idea how to find them. I know that a few years ago they got them at the Philly Folk Festival, I believe they charge something like $3.00 a shower at the festival.

Does he really smell that bad?

Just one word: Thai Stone Deodorant

well, actually that be three words, but I have not purchased deodorant now in almost two year but have through two o' these rocks (and a couple bottles o' th' Thai Stone foot powder). However I do shower once in a while...as long as no one teases me about me rubber duckie <_< or me life preserver ring <_< or me snorkel <_<

Edited by MadL

Michael, Silkie and others make some good valuable points.

If no sponsor is able or willing to bring in a portable shower or someone to support it so to speak, yeah, eventers will have to fend for themselves. It's not a horribly bad thing. I've taken bathes using a pitcher and basin. Aye, the water may be cold, but... tis good enough. Or if there is "swimming" available, I hate to say it, but that's one way to "bathe" without the soap though.

Maybe a local hotel would be willing to offer or someone can get a room for at least 24 hours at the mid-point of the event for people to go shower if they fancy.

Living Historians are pretty innovative. Where others find problems, some find opportunity and ideas.

One way or another, Dutch. I'm sure it'll work out.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

well it is a potentially great event- except for the bathing. as this will probably be an August event in Virginia I really do not want to be responsible for "that stinking event in Virginia" If every one understands this coming into it than thats one thing- but to atleast not even address it would be a complete error on my side.

I really do not want to be responsible for "that stinking event in Virginia"

I hear a mixture o' vinegar 'n water helps :D

...I'm just say'n, after all I was married once :rolleyes:

I have and brought a portable propane shower and enclosure including period looking canvas to go up around it but last year at PIP we didn't have full access to running water out in the camp area we're working on getting that for '09 ...in fact will be bringing two units so that showers before the opening each day or after-hours should work out for the group.just need to make sure that folks use a mild bio-degradeable soap like Dr. Bronners for everything and not fancy shampoos and the like

s7_516873_imageset_01.jpg

s7_516548_imageset_02.jpg

Edited by callenish gunner

jim, the closest anything in 40 minutes away. were talkin megamart, home depot, a decent grocery store. anything sizeable to be shipped in to handle a crowd is over an hour out. we don't even have a national guard unit to fall back on.

the whole event hinges on water. the museum says they got plenty of it-- provided its not a drought- otherwise the water table dips and we end up with sulfury drinking water- then the whole hygene issue. I want to have a plan to battle this before i proceed any further.

jim, the closest anything in 40 minutes away. were talkin megamart, home depot, a decent grocery store. anything sizeable to be shipped in to handle a crowd is over an hour out. we don't even have a national guard unit to fall back on.

the whole event hinges on water. the museum says they got plenty of it-- provided its not a drought- otherwise the water table dips and we end up with sulfury drinking water- then the whole hygene issue. I want to have a plan to battle this before i proceed any further.

Dutch, the shower set-up are less than $150 at Wally-World and with a bulk tank & large plastic barrel and a garden hose for reservoir you can shower about 10 folks each unit per hour ...we have used ours for several years and had about 50+ people through it

Dutch ...good thinking ...in advance.

If the water table is low does that mean no running water. That is indeed an issue. What about a water buffalo or the like? heck ...have the fire company fill the hose truck and we can wash our garb and ourselves at the same time! lol

Also, if there are showers for 200 people then there has to be a place for the waste water. Even if everyone there were one shower for every 20 or so people the waste water would become an issue.

As Callenish pointed out environmental friendly soap would be a MUST.

Maybe we should all think about that stone ...has anyone stood down wind from MadL?

Well if the museum has plenty of water, although down in VA, drought could pose a problem especially in August. Let's look in to some of the camping showers as Callenish has stated, but just see if the shower itself can be purchased as we can always put the canvas together from cheap drop cloths from Lowes or Home Depot. Then we can even make the shower area fit in more and look less intrusive to the pc camp.

Some of the shower bags only cost about five bucks in my neck of the woods... certainly for that price, it would be worth experimenting with one.

So all this fuss? Why? Pern needs to keep his long locks clean and flowing in the breeze?

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel