Petty Annoyances

Ransom

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train horns on trucks.

There is some punk that lives in my area that has one. You can hear his obnoxious horn from about a mile away, I swear I'm not exaggerating. He'll honk it at all hours.

He thinks it's funny to honk at people who are walking down the street and scare them. I'm waiting to hear about someone suffering a heart attack because of this jerk, he just about gave me one last autumn.

I think I love this thread. It just feels good to vent.

Iron Bess is my hero...she's one of the people I've always wanted to meet, so she could properly eviscerate me for comments I've made in Pirate Pop about certain movies and particular certain characters. :rolleyes:

Not if you don't hold the door open...... :rolleyes:

I always hold doors open for people. I was taught that at a military boarding school. (However, I still think Calypso should have been written right out of the script. Davy too. ;) )

(I'll bet half your responses directed at me use the eye rolling emoticon.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It just feels good to vent.

How odd. Some psychology studies suggest it is actually bad for you because it focuses your attention on negative outcomes.

http://www.markck.com/articles/Success%20T...derstanding.htm

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Nah, venting is just getting it off your chest so you can move on. If you hold stuff in, that's when you end up needing a psycologist. ;)

People in parking lots who hold up traffic while waiting for someone to pull out of a parking space ten feet from entrance to a store or building (I'm not talking about handicap parking), because they don't want to walk the extra ten yards, where there are dozens of empty spaces. :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nah, venting is just getting it off your chest so you can move on. If you hold stuff in, that's when you end up needing a psycologist. :rolleyes:

That's a Freudian-based concept that has been largely been disproved in typical cases. In extreme situations where people bottle all of their negative emotions up and take no action to fix the problems they are encountering, psychological issues result. In normal cases, this is not generally the case from what I have read. However, the original concept did lead to some amusing psychological remedies like scream therapy.

My belief is that complaining is only valid when you take action to fix the problem that you are complaining about. Otherwise it just focuses your attention on the negative aspects of life.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." –W. Clement Stone

"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." Translated from the original Sanskrit

Mission_banner5.JPG

I always say thank you to someone who holds the door open for me, I endeavor not to let the door slam in anothers face, if not in a hurry I will stop and hold the door open for the person who's arms are full and try not to get bent out of shape if someone does not hold the door for me. Hmmmm ...I am damn neap perfect! :rolleyes:

I think that most people don't try to be rude but are ignorant of the fact that they are being rude. I think that "common courtesy", just as common sense, has become uncommon. That having been said ...I don't like drivers that don't display either of the previously mentioned behaviors.

I enjoy venting...... ;)

But I either get smacked in the head ;)

Or yelled at for doing it...... ;)

Methinks it's the attendant giggling. ;)

Although I read somewhere that if us men don't "vent" ....... ;)

and hold it all inside....... ;)

it eventually travels up the spinal column and is responsible ......

for all of our ......

(to put it delicately)

crappy ideas. ;):rolleyes:

(probably like this post)

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Nah, venting is just getting it off your chest so you can move on. If you hold stuff in, that's when you end up needing a psycologist. ;)

That's a Freudian-based concept that has been largely been disproved in typical cases. In extreme situations where people bottle all of their negative emotions up and take no action to fix the problems they are encountering, psychological issues result. In normal cases, this is not generally the case from what I have read. However, the original concept did lead to some amusing psychological remedies like scream therapy.

My belief is that complaining is only valid when you take action to fix the problem that you are complaining about. Otherwise it just focuses your attention on the negative aspects of life.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." –W. Clement Stone

"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." Translated from the original Sanskrit

My dear Mission. You are treating this thread as if it were something serious. It's not. It is just a fun, silly place to point out some of the everyday stupidities in life. Lighten up a little. :rolleyes:;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I am sick and tired of hearing that the average person is sick and tired, and sick and tired of being sick and tired, and sick and tired of hearing that the average person sick and tired of being sick and tired! I think that ALL right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired...I'm certainly not. But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

Waht! Wrong thread? :rolleyes:

Edited by Quartermaster James

Eye actually posted this some where else but it is deemed appropriate here too so.....without further ADDOoo..

I was considering getting a boat a couple of months ago.

I had the euphoric dream of sailing free,salt spray to my face and wind to my back.

So I went to shelter Island and watch boat traffic in San Diego Bay..

I decided against it when I realized I would be the one shaking my fist at the boater who

swamped me with his 25 foot motorized cigar boat.. Now to me the

whole thing is finding a place where i could sail in peace and not be

surrounded by jets skis like I'm in Mad Max Or the Water World movie;.. those

thoughts just put me off from investing so much money..The alluring thought is one

thing but where I live;the reality of seeing people in three different occasions

in a half hour span being swamped by inconsiderate boaters has me standing

back with my wallet closed...

Hey Mission..Did you know that seriousness is a disease? ( Dis ~ Ease )

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Hey... i wanna make a piroque.... but there is a lake up here where no motor boats can play...... don't help you tho...

My petty Annoyance.... Nacho, (the cook ) keeps tellin' Carol how broke he is.... so she pays him with money that should be going to me...... (long story).... Anyway... tonight, he's showing off his brand new cell phone... with alla th' bells and whistles..... dang... those things ain't free..... someone's been bullsh*ting someone.....

Well now, that's quite the conundrum!

If the mind is everything, what (or who) is the "you" that's doing the thinking, let alone the becoming?

Om Tat Sat :wacko:

Touché!

Oh boy! A fellow philosopher!! Shall we resurrect the philosophy thread? (Things have been so slow around here in the philosophy department since Phil disappeared...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

If "what you think, you become" what are you when you're not thinking, and what are the people who never think about anything...except maybe when the next bowl of chips and dip is on the table?

Sorry, I just read an explanation of the Schrodinger's Cat theory, and I'm still tying to wrap my brain around that. :angry:

To continue....

Authors who use foreign language quotes in their books, but don't ever tell you what it means, so you may have lost a key inuendo (?), or clue about that character or the plot, or missed a snappy retort if the quote is used during an argument between two characters. Yeah, later I eventually look up what it means, but I don't want to stop in the middle of what I am reading to do that.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

If "what you think, you become" what are you when you're not thinking, and what are the people who never think about anything...except maybe when the next bowl of chips and dip is on the table?

Sorry, I just read an explanation of the Schrodinger's Cat theory, and I'm still tying to wrap my brain around that. :angry:

Try this: The Elegant Universe

Edited by Quartermaster James

I agree with that to an extent. If it is something that I can actually change. For example, I have a dirty car, I should not gripe about the filth, I should was it away. However if I am pu off by the way someone drives I should not yell at him, only my passenger can hear, if I flash him the finger I am just as rude as he is. I let it go ...but sometimes it just helps to laugh about him and his misbehavior. What we are doing here.
Authors who use foreign language quotes in their books, but don't ever tell you what it means, so you may have lost a key innuendo (?), or clue about that character or the plot, or missed a snappy retort if the quote is used during an argument between two characters. Yeah, later I eventually look up what it means, but I don't want to stop in the middle of what I am reading to do that.
Me too! Drives me nuts ...I speak United-stateese (which is similar to but not the same as English). I don't know any other language, I wish I did but I do not. If you type French ...give me a close notation of what was just said! Some people already know this about me. :))

Authors who use foreign language quotes in their books, but don't ever tell you what it means, so you may have lost a key inuendo (?), or clue about that character or the plot, or missed a snappy retort if the quote is used during an argument between two characters. Yeah, later I eventually look up what it means, but I don't want to stop in the middle of what I am reading to do that.

Yeah!!!

To this DAY I cannot read Elvish!! :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

1) That which does the thinking.

2) Try it.

Which brings us to the question: what is thought? Are we talking about a force that manifests as change in the world, or constant chattering in one's head, or something else entirely?

Which is to say Elvish has left the building?

2) Try it.

Which brings us to the question: what is thought? Are we talking about a force that manifests as change in the world, or constant chattering in one's head, or something else entirely?

Which is to say Elvish has left the building?

Then, that which does the thinking, buys the one who is doing the not-thinking a drink.

Yeah, that'll about do it. :lol:

I have a favorite author whose main character can speak Scott, French, Spanish, Arabic and Latin. It can get very frustrating. I can sometimes suss out the French and the Spanish, but after that, I'm lost.

People who drive 55 mph in the FAST lane!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

2) Try it.

You are always thinking, no matter who you are. Or, perhaps stated more correctly, thoughts are always flowing through your consciousness. You can control some of these thoughts. The ones you cannot control, you can control your thoughts about those thoughts.

To borrow from QM James point (at least I think this is his point), try thinking of nothing whatsoever. No music, no noise, no news, nothing going on around you in the environment...nothing. See if you can do it.

Which brings us to the question: what is thought?
What is consciousness? Are we the sum of the conscious thought? What about pre-conscious and sub-conscious thought? How is it possible that we can we think about our thoughts? (Are you sure you're not Phil in disguise? And where the hell is blackjohn? This is getting good...)

Mission_banner5.JPG