Santa Maria - Just the facts

Capt. Sterling

Mikey might I suggest another thread for just the necessary information... this is one is getting long to shift through...

We obviously have the what, but do we have exactly the when, such as when can we truly arrive by, who we need to speak to when we get there, When do we have to be packed up and out of there? has parking been set in stone yet? If so exactly where (as in actual addresses and such for the mapquest folks) Will parking be free or is there cost? What exactly needs to be packed, approximately how much powder(roughly how many rounds to fire) Any idea of what the schedule will be? What you want demonstrated and by whom? I'm sure you don't want everyone demonstrating weapons or knots and nothing else...

Of course we all are very aware that these things always seem to change at the last moment, but if you have some ideas please post...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

When - May 9th and 10th - from 11:00 AM until 6:00 PM

When to arrive? Sarturday morning is of course ideal, but those who need to arrive Friday evening/night due to longer travel times, flights etc. will have any and all arrangements possible to help. Our apartment (although it will be a very busy place) is open to guests who wish to stay, as long as cat allergies are not a concern.

When to leave, Sunday after close is ideal, but I very much suspect those with longer travel times may cut out early.

Free parking can be had at City Hall, which is up a small hill and across the street. Because of the limit of parking, car pooling is prefered as much as possible. For example those who can meet at our place, leave additional vehicles at our place (which has almost unlimited parking) and car pool into down town would be helping the situation greatly. Like most city down town cores, parking in downtown Columbus can be challenging. We are working on additional parking options, but nothing is set in stone there yet. Map quest to follow.

Pack light. Whatever clothing and weapons you need, and whatever you need to demo (if you so choose to). This is a ship, space is limited, so bringing tons of superfluous stuff should be avoided as much as possible. You will need whatever bedding/blankets/pillows you desire to sleep on. Those not staying in a hotel or taking advantage of our hospitality (at our apartment) will be sleeping on a hard wood deck. Air matresses are okay, but personal sized ones are preferred as double or queen sized air mattresses for individuals will likely eat the deck space up too quickly. Hammocks can be used, but there is limited places to tie one down, and already two or three coming (that I am aware of) so I would prefer to discourage excessive use of them.

Powder. There will be battles at 2:00 PM (give or take) on Saturday and Sunday. The battles will likely go in the 20 to 30 minute range (including manuevering the small boats), so I would guess that an average re-enactor would use about a dozen shots in that time. Of course those with quicker trigger fingers (or slower ones) may go through more or less powder. I will be buying some extra powder to share liberally. So if you don't bring your own, you will be taken care of, but those who do bring thier own will be greatly appreciated. Those wishing to do shooting demonstrations throughout the day will be allowed to do so, and should adjust their estimated powder usage accordingly. Please message me or post to the more general discussion thread about the event about your powder usage so I can ensure we have enough.

Food. We will cook breakfast and dinner on Saturday, and breakfast on Sunday. We had various fruits, cheeses, breads etc. out to munch on throughout the day. If there is a great demand for a formal lunch, it is something we can look into. Again, please post concerns or ideas on the event general discussion thread.

Demonstrations will be very loose. If you haev something you want to demonstate, please do so, if not, you can interact with the crowds or be quiet "set dressing" as per your own whim and disposition. The ship runs tours that focus on the history of the ship and Columbus, we are there to add to that, but mostly in a comparison as to what was being done a few hundred years later, and by a very different styled group of sailors. Those who wish their demos to be inserted into the guided tours, try to keep your spiels to 5 mins(ish), but spectators do hang out on the ships after their tours and ask more in depth questions about what facets interest them the most. We can set up demo areas off the ship (as long as they are close to the ship) if people think such an arrangement would work for their particular demo. Again please share ideas and discussions on the main event discussion thread.

I will be locking this thread down and updating it as needed. Please share any questions on the main discussion thread, or if appropriate via Private Message.

Michael_banner.jpg

Okay updated info, and some clarifications from the previous post.

First off, hotels.

Handy list of Hotels near our apartment curtesy of the wife

Closest Hotel to the Ship I just did a "test" reservation and the cheapest rooms here seem to be in the $110 to $150 per night range (based on single or double occupancy)

Second off, food. It is preferred that everyone contribute to the food situation, which will take some coordination. Those coming from further away obviously have good reasons to not be able to help out much on this issue, but those coming from shorter distances, if you could contribute a bag of apples, or oranges, or a loaf or two of bread, or some cheese, or whatever fits your budget, it would be most appreciated! Bringing cold drinks would be a good help as well. We usually have unlimited drinking water, but iced tea, or lemonade or other beverages do help make a long few days more pleasant. Please post to the general discussion thread about food, it it becomes too difficult to wade through to find the food information, I may break food info off into it's own discussion topic.

Michael_banner.jpg

Another accomodation option has been pointed out by Callenish...

KOA Campground at Buckeye Lake, which is about a 45 minute drive east of Columbus just off route 70.

Web Page describing details on the "2 for 1" deal

They will have tent sites available for resonable prices, and cabins available as well. This is a reasonable and cheap option for those willing to drive he extra time.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay I am going to start a list of attendees.

Confirmed attendees (barring any last minute life events, these people will be there)

First off the host crew

Kate Souris

Mickey Souris

Mark G

Jennie G (but no Kenny G :blink: )

Thomas Grooms (I almost labelled him Thomas G just for fun :blink: )

Dan

Dan/Krieger

Trish

Shannon

David

George (I can't believe I almost forgot George!)

and confirmed guests

Diosa/Goddess in the Bodice

Red Jessi

Perkeo

Grizz

Afira

Silas Thatcher

- Alex Thatcher

- Andrew Thatcher

- Miles Thatcher

Callenish Gunner

- Salty Pots

- Hamish (The whole fam damily!)

Matty Bottles

M.A. d'Dogge

Sort of confirmed (I've heard from these folks recently, but not since I posted the please confirm post)

Mission

Gentleman Scotty

Hurricane Kate (is that her name? Scotty's wife)

5 or 6 from Michigan whom Mark G met at Pirate Con

Unconfirmed attendees (these are the folks who have previously stated they are coming, but just haven't confirmed yet)

2 or 3 Friends of Dan/Krieger

Interested but unsure (those who said they wanted to come but were unsure if they could make it or not or folks I haven't heard from in a while)

Rats

Brian

The Callahans (and possible other members of the Sacred Heart?)

Dutch

Grace

Please let me know if your name should or should not be on this list! Thanks!

Michael_banner.jpg

IMPORTANT ADDRESSES and other important infor for the event.

Please Private message me for my cell phone number and/or home number if you think you may need it.

The street address of the Santa Maria is:

Santa Maria

25 Marconi Blvd

Columbus, Ohio, 43215

PLEASE NOTE: Map Quest takes this address as being street front location, to actually find the ship you will have to go into the park (down the stairs or hill). The ship should be very obviously able to be seen from the street location at this address though.

Our home address for those who need to find us is

3786 Martha Jane Place (Building 6)

Canal Winchester, Ohio, 43110

I am still looking up the addresses for parking (and trying to settle parking arrangements), I will update this post later when I have the info.

Close Parking Here

The parking can be seen on the above map as being at the End of Gay Street in front of the square building. (Between Marconi Blvd the very end of Gay Street before it turns right into North Ludlow Street) Please note Gay Street is one way and allows the only access to the parking lot. This parking lot IS NOT accessible from Marconi Blvd. Also note we are trying to discourage particpants from parking at this location as much as possible (except to load and unload) as this will be the closets parking for spectators and we would prefer the parking be available for spectators.

Michael_banner.jpg