Dead Man's Chest - North Edition

michaelsbagley

This thread will be to cover the items being sold in and discussions about the "Dead Man's Chest" auction to be held to raise money to help keep the Santa Maria replica on the Scioto River in downtown Columbus Ohio afloat.

First a few details. After a fair bit of discussion within the Scioto Pirates, and plenty of idea brain storming, we decided to best way for us to do the auction was via eBay. Doing the auction through eBay will allow both participants AND those who are not able to make it able to bid on items at their own discretion.

As eBay allows auction length only up to two weeks, the "Official" auctions will be set up two weeks before the event and from there bidding can begin. We will be posting items and spreading awareness of the auction on this forum (mostly on this forum) and other forums as well to help build exceitment and awareness.

Computer access for those participants attending the event will be available, so that the participants in the event can keep up with any bids they may choose to make.

Pictures and descriptions of Auction items will be put up on this forum as the items are received (please contact me via email or private message to send a donated item for the auction). Any and all reasonable items will be accepted for the auction, although pirate or nautical themed items are prefered (be they Historical/Authentic or Mythical/Hollywood/Renn inspired).

As the auction will be done through eBay, all of the rules that apply to eBay apply, including the fact that shipping may or may not be included. Details on shipping will be added into the eBay auction details, so there should be no suprises there.

More later.

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael, I will send the chest and 50 of Mary Diamonds buttons, a steel for fire-strting and some other small stuff ahead of time if you like. Just in case something happens I cannot make it. I think I'll send your tent and do it all in one shot. That way you can make any modifications to the tent that you wish to.

Bo

Okay, the first few items for the auction have been photographed...

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

The items of jewelry are being generously donated by Diosa (Goddess In The Bodice).

Although I haven't photographed it alone, there will also be my last leather costrel in black. Click on the link to see a bunch of costrels, you should be able to determine which one is black.

Mark has said something about donating a compass for the auction. I would imagine it will be a period (or close to period) reproduction in brass.

Bo has supplied the chest, which he has already posted pics of (on the main discussion thread). I may repost the picture of the actual chest here if I get ambitious. Bo has also pledged 50 buttons as per the sort that Mary Diamond deal in which can be viewed in the first post of this thread and perhaps a piece of his metal working if time allows.

Wife has hinted at something, but she can speak for herself once she decides.

Pretty darn good start to the chest. Thanks to all contributors! Hoping more will surface.. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Katie is making a hand sewn linen shirt (or shift/chemise should a lady be the bidder and desire it)...made to the measurements of the highest bidder. Yes, she is.

Oh wait....Katie is me.

I am making a hand sewn linen shirt (or shift/chemise should a lady be the bidder and desire it) made to the measurements of the highest bidder. Yes, I am.

Banner.jpg

Oh....and our friends Trish and Shannan (pirates not on the pub) are going to make a hand tooled leather frame with a mirror in it....pirate-esque of some sort.

They might be donating a swept hilt rapier too, but we haven't worked out the details yet.

Banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Oh....and our friends Trish and Shannan (pirates not on the pub) are going to make a hand tooled leather frame with a mirror in it....pirate-esque of some sort.

They might be donating a swept hilt rapier too, but we haven't worked out the details yet.

Okay, as Trish and Shannon were in town visiting this weekend, this has been changed, they made a gorgeous wood mounted tooled leather chess board (instead of the mirror frame). Pictures to come, but this thing is beautiful!

I've also heard some rumours of a hand knitted cap (like a monmouth cap) being donated by a friend of Mark and Jennie's from Wisconsin (?).

Another item that has been added to the lot is a belying pin with snazzy leather holster from the Pub's Sutler John (thanks Jim!).

Not directly related to the chest, but we were at the "Ashville Viking Festival" (pretty much a mini-Renn-Faire with a Viking-centric theme that is still open to all types including us pirates), anyways, we are at the Ashville Viling Festival handing out flyers to promote the Santa Maria event, and there was a lot of good interest developed (thanks to the Viking organizers who gave their blessing for us to promote at the festival).

This coming weekend we will be promoting the cause at the OSU Renn-aire (Ohio State University Renn-Faire).

Michael_banner.jpg

michaelsbagley said:

"(pretty much a mini-Renn-Faire with a Viking-centric theme that is still open to all types including us pirates)"

And all the time you were one of those damnable Pirate Hunters!!! :lol: Welcome to the Dark Side, mate. :blink:

Animal

Edited by Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

"(pretty much a mini-Renn-Faire with a Viking-centric theme that is still open to all types including us pirates)"

And all the time you were one of those damnable Pirate Hunters!!! :D Welcome to the Dark Side, mate. B)

Animal

Nah, I'm a fence jumper... Some events I play the pirate, at some the Red Coat, some the pirate hunter (when those blasted Archangels will put up with having me around :( ). To be completely honest I showed up in my Red Coat on Saturday, and wilted in the heat (it got a rather unseasonable high 80s this past weekend) and then Sunday I dressed the part of a pirate in my nice cooler linen sailors clothes... So it was a very bi-polar weekend for me. :D

Michael_banner.jpg

Now that I have finally awoken from the coma from being clunked on the head with a belaying pin (thanks Jim! :unsure: ).... wacko.gif

The eBay account we have to use for the auction is limited to 10 day auction lengths (which is why there is a delay in starting the auction) aparently the 2 week auction was an option, but it would have cost extra... and since this is for charity, we would rather have the money go to the ship rather than eBay.

So the auctions will last 10 days, and will begin this weekend (likely Sunday?). This will give bidders all next week, the weekend of the event, and it will also allow the participants and spectators to see the items first hand (they will be on isplay at the event) and a chance to bid on the items during the few days after the event.

Thanks to everyone for their donations and support on this. There are a lot of great items going up for auction, this is going to be a great way to donate to a great cause and get something out of it, so please bid on the item(s) that you like! I want to specially thank Bo for coming up with the suggestion in the first place (even if he doesn't see this post) and for the great chest and other items he sent! Without him, this idea may never have been conceived.

Looks for the linsk to the various eBay auction items on this thread, and everywhere else I can think of to post them (mySpace, Facebook, Tribe, other forums etc. etc. etc.)

Michael_banner.jpg

The first handful of Dead Man's Chest North Edition auction items are up, and POSTED HERE

There is a lot more to come, it is just taking more time than expected to get it together.

For those willing or able to pass the information along, the items will able be able to be found at the below URL, please spread the news!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/markandjennie_g

Michael_banner.jpg

The first handful of Dead Man's Chest North Edition auction items are up, and POSTED HERE

There is a lot more to come, it is just taking more time than expected to get it together.

For those willing or able to pass the information along, the items will able be able to be found at the below URL, please spread the news!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/markandjennie_g

A bunch new stuff added over the last couple of nights. There is still almost half of the items yet to be added to the auction!

Michael_banner.jpg