I'm Harboring a Secret Desire...

Mission

...to go movie pirate at PiP this year! I was looking at the photo of myself from my trip to San Francisco two years ago and I think it might be fun to be a movie pirate for a change.

(Whew! Glad I got that off my chest...anyone know where I can borrow some bucket boots? Size 9-ish...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...to go movie pirate at PiP this year! I was looking at the photo of myself from my trip to San Francisco two years ago and I think it might be fun to be a movie pirate for a change.

(Whew! Glad I got that off my chest...anyone know where I can borrow some bucket boots? Size 9-ish...)

You can't harbor a secret...publicly.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

My bucket boots are size 9.... If you are still harbouring this "secret" desire come December, let me know and I will bring them for you to borrow. Not wanting to ruin my streak of being your personal wardrobe consultant. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

You can't harbor a secret...publicly.

I can do whatever I like. ;) (Even be irrational and possibly illogical.) Now don't bother me, I'm going to go off and grow a big, ferocious looking beard. And I'm going to shave my Connery eyebrows (I wish) so they look like Nicholson playing the devil.

Yo HO! :rolleyes:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

What I suppose I should have said was: You could do both. Do Hollywood for the parade or something. You can't hang out in the Mercury camp if you are Hollywood you would look like a fool …wait …no difference there. The hide would be off limits to you while the gates are open because we wouldn’t want to be embarrassed by your presence. What sort of credibility would you have if you show off your PC medical equipment if you are in non PC garb, of course your credibility is in question anyway you laudanum loving lubber.

Just some thoughts.

I to have a desire to do Hollywood also but I am still working on PC.

Edited by Silkie McDonough

What sort of credibility would you have if you show off your PC medical equipment if you are in non PC garb?

I am not entirely sure I'm going to bring it this year. It's expensive to ship, a lot of work to break out and the interest seems only to be middling. Plus there have been some slightly alarming posts about damaging my belongings that concern me just a trifle. I almost feel like I need an insurance policy on my hard to procure period or period-like stuff. (I'm still pondering that one. We shall see what we shall see.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

It has been pointed out that PC & Hollywood pyrates happily play at PiP so I feel I need to explain a bit further.

I am part of the crew of the Archangel. We do Living History. Although those who are not necessarily "Period Correct" are not chased away from "The Sealkie's Hide" if we have more spectators in the encampment during the day this year I would encourage anyone who may be spending time there to do their best to respect our goals as a crew. I know that Misson has garb that is PC ...he has very nice garb that is PC and looks good in it. However, I will defer to the wishes of the Captain. I may have no control over the matter, just depends how many people may be there. I know Lilly Alexander has games that I hope will be used and demonstrated in The Hide if we have tourists.

Additionally, the pub maybe on the beach this year rather than in the fort. I don't think they are planning on changing their policy from "everyone welcome". Finally, the hide won't be serving any food when the public is around anyway, there may not be any reason to spend time at The Hide.

Before and after hours I want everyone who wishes to join in to please do so.

Syren, the general rule at PiP (correction: Mercury camp) has been, 3 years (correction: from your first year of attendance) to get your garb/gear period correct if you wish to camp in the encampment (correction: if you wish to do so). You are not out. I speak only for "The Sealkie's Hide" NOT for the entire event. I do not even speak for the Crew of the Archangel.

Syren, the general rule at PiP has been, 3 years to get your garb/gear period correct if you wish to camp in the encampment.

Say, I've never heard of that rule vis-a-vis garb. Who made it? (You'll have a fine time explaining this to the Bone Islanders. :o )

Imagine it, though. You can wear skulls on everything. (I do so love skulls - it's what first drew me to piracy when I was a lad.) You can tie a big fancy pirate sash around your waist. Not to mention the already mentioned bucket boots. And you can wear black with impunity! (I'm a winter. That apparently means I look good in black. Plus it's slimming according to Vague magazine.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Syren, the general rule at PiP has been, 3 years to get your garb/gear period correct if you wish to camp in the encampment.

Say, I've never heard of that rule vis-a-vis garb. Who made it? (You'll have a fine time explaining this to the Bone Islanders. :o )

Imagine it, though. You can wear skulls on everything. (I do so love skulls - it's what first drew me to piracy when I was a lad.) You can tie a big fancy pirate sash around your waist. Not to mention the already mentioned bucket boots. And you can wear black with impunity! (I'm a winter. That apparently means I look good in black. Plus it's slimming according to Vague magazine.)

Hey Mission... that 3 year thing I believe was on here... for the Mercury Crewe....not for PIP as a whole.

Conveniently, we will have Port Royal over by the beach side this year and we are not 100% PC so if you can figure out how to walk within 10 feet from me and not run away, you have safe harbor there, bucket boots and all :o

We also have period games going all day, so you are welcome to come gamble your piratey guys out....We had a good time with that this past year and the year before... get a couple of people in and others crowd around to watch and learn. It's been a lot of fun. Just watch out for Youngblood, the kid... he's a swindler....

Diosa

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Yeah, we are definitely not going to be PC. We did that two years ago and it wasn't any fun for our particular take on pirates and our personalities. So we've loosened our rules a lot, especially since Harry made it clear that PiP itself will never be PC... the very nature of the "all-welcoming" attitude of Key West precludes it.

We will have plenty of authentic rum punch and cheap red wine for ya if you make your way over to the Catt & Fiddle. And lots of lemonadoes for the non drinkers. Oh -- and if you ever do buccaneer period, bucket boots were in!!! :)

And yes, I don't think it's funny that people think it's cute to mess with other people's stuff. Our own crewe has rules on that - the person gets tossed out. We don't damage other people's stuff. I can safely say that anyone messing with stuff in our tents will have to deal with our Italian pirate - and he's buried bodies before that still haven't been found, with or without a map. I guess that's why we always have someone who stays behind to guard our stuff, which is kind of sad.

I know that we have thousands of dollars invested in our equipment, kits, weapons, etc. It's not really a game to us.

We don't take kindly to it, as you can tell.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Yep, Diosa has it... I remember the 3 year rule from my following the various PiP/Mercury threads on the year I didn't make it. I seem to also recall it as "more of a guideline than a rule" (said in my absolute worst Jack Sparrow voice).

PiP in my opinion should always remain a pirate festival, containing all of Piracy's and Pyracy's most mythical/hollywood/renn inspired madness and authentic historical together.

Hey Mission... that 3 year thing I believe was on here... for the Mercury Crewe....not for PIP as a whole.

Conveniently, we will have Port Royal over by the beach side this year and we are not 100% PC so if you can figure out how to walk within 10 feet from me and not run away, you have safe harbor there, bucket boots and all :o

We also have period games going all day, so you are welcome to come gamble your piratey guys out....We had a good time with that this past year and the year before... get a couple of people in and others crowd around to watch and learn. It's been a lot of fun. Just watch out for Youngblood, the kid... he's a swindler....

Diosa

Michael_banner.jpg

Yeah, we are definitely not going to be PC. We did that two years ago and it wasn't any fun for our particular take on pirates and our personalities. So we've loosened our rules a lot, especially since Harry made it clear that PiP itself will never be PC... the very nature of the "all-welcoming" attitude of Key West precludes it.

To be honest, if it were otherwise, I'd probably stop going. I like striving for PC, but when you get all serious the thing becomes a job and it sucks much of the fun out of the event for me. There are plenty of other 'serious' events to fill the dance card of those who desire such and I already have a job.

We will have plenty of authentic rum punch and cheap red wine for ya if you make your way over to the Catt & Fiddle.

Yeah, but I can't go in there. (I heard Diosa has been known to bite people's ears off when they make her angry. (Well, that's what I heard.))

And yes, I don't think it's funny that people think it's cute to mess with other people's stuff. Our own crewe has rules on that - the person gets tossed out. We don't damage other people's stuff. I can safely say that anyone messing with stuff in our tents will have to deal with our Italian pirate - and he's buried bodies before that still haven't been found, with or without a map. I guess that's why we always have someone who stays behind to guard our stuff, which is kind of sad.

All kidding aside, you've actually hit the nail on the head for me. I don't want to have to watch my stuff. In fact, I predict I won't watch my stuff. My real, honest-to-John problem is that if I think someone will steal it, I will worry about it. I'll try to remember to lock it up or whatever, but I'll forget and then I'll be standing in downtown Key West or arrive in my condo at 3am and think, "Oh, crap! I left my stuff out!" Then I'll sit there and worry about it because I'm really quite anal about such things. Since that also sucks the fun out of an event, I'd rather just not have to deal with it. Plus there's all the other stuff I mentioned.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I stand corrected. Which I have no problem with. I was making a comments directly related to Mission, what I have seen of him at PiP and the discussions that I have been a party to over the past few years. It read more like a general statement. I should know better than to type anything that could be read as a general statement. :rolleyes:

That having been said, do I honestly come across as a PC Nazi?

If I do don't tell me here ...PM me and let me know. :lol:

We will have plenty of authentic rum punch and cheap red wine for ya if you make your way over to the Catt & Fiddle.
Yeah, but I can't go in there. (I heard Diosa has been known to bite people's ears off when they make her angry. (Well, that's what I heard.))

That rumor was just started to keep out the troubled lot like Dogge and Cousin Robbie.... you're just fine...just don't tell them that's all talk or there will be no keeping order around the place! :rolleyes: I even usually have flavorful veggie friendly munchies around!

Silkie, I don't think anyone is saying you're a PC Nazi, I think the general statement is that while the Hyde and Archangel area may well have rules there are other places for those who aren't fully PC... I love the look you all pull off and came out to see everything regularly. That said, I am not going to kill myself to be that perfect. I appreciate those that put the effort in, but I'm not that crazy about the details for myself.

I just was mentioning that there is another area out there for those who don't have the full PC thing going on so they can leave the Hyde as an accurate living history area... that's all.

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Well Im truly trying to get to PC..however I prolly won't be if I get to attend this year..Big If..still trying to charm hubby into allowing me to go and our wee one would have to stay with him as she has school.

So it won't be a problem if I come not PC??? I would hate to offend anyone...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Our crewe is unoffendable, Syren. Outside of a clown outfit, we don't really care that much. We have our PC events like Searles and our open activities like PiP and everything in between, so we're the last to judge on anyone's efforts - I'm even nice to all the Jack Sparrows down there. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I stand corrected. Which I have no problem with. I was making a comments directly related to Mission, what I have seen of him at PiP and the discussions that I have been a party to over the past few years. It read more like a general statement. I should know better than to type anything that could be read as a general statement. :rolleyes:

That having been said, do I honestly come across as a PC Nazi?

I sure didn't take your comments that way. You did mention a desire to go MP after all... (Come to the dark side! :lol::lol: Imagine how differently you can behave when you're covered with skulls and eyepatches and hooks! Well, maybe only one eyepatch. Unless you're Chrispy the blind guy.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Imagine how differently you can behave when you're covered with skulls and eyepatches and hooks! Well, maybe only one eyepatch. Unless you're Chrispy the blind guy.)

Aye. Running around with two patches might lead to...well...two eye patches.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg