Favorite Steampunk Movies

Cascabel

Would Sky Captain qualify? I know it's more of a thirty's style, rather than 1800s, but it does have airships, strange robots, and ray guns. Oh, and a mad scientist.....ummm, who's actually dead.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Would Sky Captain qualify? I know it's more of a thirty's style, rather than 1800s, but it does have airships, strange robots, and ray guns. Oh, and a mad scientist.....ummm, who's actually dead.

Hmmmm..... It DOES have all the right elements, doesn't it ? Sort of "Steampunk of the Future" !!

>>>> Cascabel

I'd classify it as Dieselpunk, which is outside of Steampunk's timeline(?) but still considered a sub-genre of Steampunk. So, yeah it counts.

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I'd classify it as Dieselpunk, which is outside of Steampunk's timeline(?) but still considered a sub-genre of Steampunk. So, yeah it counts.

:P I hardly think we need to be concerned about timeline here !! I sorta consider it what Jules Verne would have come up with had he lived in the 20th century, instead of the 19th. I also think it counts.....

>>>> Cascabel

Stardust has a few scenes with Airship pyrates, but the movie is really more of a fantasy. A good one, though.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

The Time Machine (1960)

Directed: George Pal

Rod Taylor

Alan Young

Yvette Mimieux

I know that Rumba had already beat me to it, but I really like this particular version.

Now I'm not sure that either one of the next two quite fall in the Diesel or Steampunk genera, but they both have wonderfully bizarre sets and twisted gadgetry made from an odd mix of old and new tech.

La Cité des Enfants Perdus (1995)

City of Lost Children

Directed: Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Briac Barthelemy

Guillaume Billod-Morel

Brazil (1985)

Directed: Terry Gilliam

Jonathan Pryce

Kim Greist

Robert De Niro

Katherine Helmond

Michael Palin

O gosh, I remember Brazil. Especially a scene involving a reversed sewer line into a guys chem suit? Also the woman who kept having her plastic surgery procedures fall off. Great movie. <_<

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Czech filmmaker Karel Zeman's 1958 "The Fabulous World of Jules Verne" is an eye-boggling ancestor of steampunk. He uses every form of animation and trick photography known to the 1950s and elements drawn from a number of Verne's works. It's black-and-white and looks like a period illustration come to life. The machines are outlandish but look like they could really work. I saw it as a boy back in the early 60s on tv. There are clips from it on YouTube and the DVD is available.

Another on e Rumba beat me to, but I have to blab about it anyway.

The Great Race (1965)

Director: Blake Edwards

Tony Curtis

Natalie Wood

Jack Lemmon

Peter Falk

Keenan Wynn

Natalie is such the little hottie in this movie - OMG - *sigh*.

But Jack Lemmon & Peter Falk steal the show comedicly while Tony and Keenan play the proverbial straight man hero types that anchor the silliness.

And then there's all the cool Steampunky vehicle stuff, cars, a submarine, airship - I've loved this movie since I was a kid.

I found that "Sky Captain and the World of Tommarow" had a ton of steam punk elements in it. I just watched it last weekend. However, I do not suggest watching this movie if you are looking for a good flick. I was disapointed in the movie as awhole but it did have some neat steampunk like ideas in it.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I found that "Sky Captain and the World of Tommarow" had a ton of steam punk elements in it. I just watched it last weekend. However, I do not suggest watching this movie if you are looking for a good flick. I was disapointed in the movie as awhole but it did have some neat steampunk like ideas in it.

It's a good movie to play whilew your working on something steamy.

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I clicked the link (after finding out that there was more to this one....) I've seen some of the music versions, and was impressed, but this is the whole movie and story of it....

The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello

Master of the World (Vincent Price 1961)

It has the whole Airship Pirate thing down wonderfully!

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Not a movie but does the Firefly series kinda count? They combine a lot of elements of the past in their future (does that make sense?) I'm thinking "shindig" in particular with the duel and stuff...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I've kinda felt the same way. Firefly has the same vibe as Steampunk—cross genres/history. Mixing different cultures together. I mean Badger could be a Steampunk character, for sure. Actually, I was watching a few episodes last night, and noticed a one of the Mudders in Jaynesville had a headpiece with a single lens goggle type thing on it. But it might have been a lamp, like miners use underground. Couldn't tell.

I just sooooo love Firefly. I wish they had made more episodes.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Though it's not fantasy based... I say Gangs of NewYork has perfect clothing for any steampunk era venture!!

I have ALWAYS loved this movie and the costuming!!!

Ol' Matty Bottles has himself an excellent impression that would make Bill the Butcher proud!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I had no idea you guys were into this stuff. I've loved "Steampunk" since I was a kid, just didn't know it had a name until quite recently.

You might also get a kick out of Treasure Planet

datamancerlaptop-open.jpg

Edited by Joe Pyrat

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.