rice recipes

Silver

i have been doing some research on shipboard foods in the 1600's and have found two different list of what foods a captian needs to stow aboard for a cruise. each had rice on it. does anybody have a period recipe for rice?

i have been doing some research on shipboard foods in the 1600's and have found two different list of what foods a captian needs to stow aboard for a cruise. each had rice on it. does anybody have a period recipe for rice?

http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec.html

http://www.ego.net/us/sc/myr/history/rise.htm

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpuddings.html#rice

http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/rys.html

Edited by Quartermaster James

If you look at This Discussion Thread, you will see a rice and coconut recipe that I tried at the last event I was at. Below is the important quote UI based this off of (well that and a mif of a modern recipe)

The Coco-nut-Trees are from 50 to 60 70, 80 and 100 Foot in height, mostly slender and streight. They have Leaves, some four fathom, and four fathom and a half long, and produce a Nut call'd a Co-co-nut; which, with the outer Rind on, is bigger than any Man's Head. the outer Rind being taken off, there appears a Shall, some of which will hold near a Quart. Within the Shell is the Nut; and within the Nut is about a Pint and a half of pure clear Water, which is very cool, brisk, pleasant and sweet. The Kernel of the Nut is also very good; which if it be pretty old, we scrape all to pieces; the scrapings we set to soak in about a quart of fresh Water for three or four hours, and then strain the Water; which when strain'd hath both the colour and taste of Milk: And if it stand a while, it will have a thick scum on it, not unlike Cream. This Milk being boiled with Rice, is accounted by our Doctors to be very nourishing; for which reason we often give of it to our sick Men. The Leaves of the Tree, serve to thatch Houses; the outer Rind of the Nut, to make Linnen-Cloth; of it they also make Ropes for Ships, as

We processed the coconut as per these directions, and it worked. The rice dice however did not turn out as good as I hoped because it took soooo much longer to cook than I expected, and I tried cooking too much rice for the size pot I had. It was edible, and tasted good, just a bit more "al dente" than I would have liked it to be... Well that and someone mentioned it could have used some pepper... And I agree. I am going to try the recipe again with the lessons learned from my recent experience.

Good luck and if you come up with any recipes that you find are particularly good, please share your experiences!

Michael_banner.jpg

If you look at This Discussion Thread, you will see a rice and coconut recipe that I tried at the last event I was at. Below is the important quote UI based this off of (well that and a mif of a modern recipe)
The Coco-nut-Trees are from 50 to 60 70, 80 and 100 Foot in height, mostly slender and streight. They have Leaves, some four fathom, and four fathom and a half long, and produce a Nut call'd a Co-co-nut; which, with the outer Rind on, is bigger than any Man's Head. the outer Rind being taken off, there appears a Shall, some of which will hold near a Quart. Within the Shell is the Nut; and within the Nut is about a Pint and a half of pure clear Water, which is very cool, brisk, pleasant and sweet. The Kernel of the Nut is also very good; which if it be pretty old, we scrape all to pieces; the scrapings we set to soak in about a quart of fresh Water for three or four hours, and then strain the Water; which when strain'd hath both the colour and taste of Milk: And if it stand a while, it will have a thick scum on it, not unlike Cream. This Milk being boiled with Rice, is accounted by our Doctors to be very nourishing; for which reason we often give of it to our sick Men. The Leaves of the Tree, serve to thatch Houses; the outer Rind of the Nut, to make Linnen-Cloth; of it they also make Ropes for Ships, as

We processed the coconut as per these directions, and it worked. The rice dice however did not turn out as good as I hoped because it took soooo much longer to cook than I expected, and I tried cooking too much rice for the size pot I had. It was edible, and tasted good, just a bit more "al dente" than I would have liked it to be... Well that and someone mentioned it could have used some pepper... And I agree. I am going to try the recipe again with the lessons learned from my recent experience.

Good luck and if you come up with any recipes that you find are particularly good, please share your experiences!

Perhaps I will try dad's trick of shredding and then squeezing the shreddings to get the milk. I really don't think what we came up with St Augustine had as much flavor as it should have.... this will take a little more experimentation. I'll see what I can figure out and post back....

If I knew you wanted to experiment more I would have shipped those other coconuts home with you :)

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Perhaps I will try dad's trick of shredding and then squeezing the shreddings to get the milk. I really don't think what we came up with St Augustine had as much flavor as it should have.... this will take a little more experimentation. I'll see what I can figure out and post back....

If I knew you wanted to experiment more I would have shipped those other coconuts home with you :)

The coconut cream came out well... I think the only thing we could have done to make any difference is to squeeze the coconut out through some sort of straining cloth (and I don't think it was neccessary for taste, more for texture) and perhaps an extra hour or two of soak time... Although as you said, the flavour was there, and visually the liquid was close to store bought coconut cream (just a little more transluscent).

What I want to do more experimentation with is cooking quantities in a camp fire environment. And that sort of experimentation requires campfires and events.

So do you think you will still have coconuts on the tree for Hampton? Maybe I'll ask Dutch if he'll talk to Cookie about my contributing the same rice dish to one of the meals there?

Michael_banner.jpg

The coconut cream came out well... I think the only thing we could have done to make any difference is to squeeze the coconut out through some sort of straining cloth (and I don't think it was neccessary for taste, more for texture) and perhaps an extra hour or two of soak time... Although as you said, the flavour was there, and visually the liquid was close to store bought coconut cream (just a little more transluscent).

What I want to do more experimentation with is cooking quantities in a camp fire environment. And that sort of experimentation requires campfires and events.

So do you think you will still have coconuts on the tree for Hampton? Maybe I'll ask Dutch if he'll talk to Cookie about my contributing the same rice dish to one of the meals there?

Well... I don't recall looking for coconuts in June before...so I suppose I won't know till then... I know I have had them since the fall... and I think the tree always has some... I'll keep watch....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• 2 weeks later...

't would be brown rice, yes? and of what sort? Long grain or short? I don't know my history or rice.... But I know there are too many different kinds!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle